St Mirren v Morton 31st December 2016

Mr Zo

Said it even before his appointment that Ross was wrong for us, when we needed experience to win ugly and stabilise we got a rookie who has only been relegated. Rae had us playing some dire stuff in his six games this season, but i bet we would not be sitting where we are currently if he was still in charge.

the decision to appoint Ross will cost the club hundreds if thousands of pounds unless he can get wins now.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Rae had us playing some dire stuff in his six games this season, but i bet we would not be sitting where we are currently if he was still in charge.

Aye, we'd be relegated already.

You're living in a fantasy world. He was abysmal, and had to go.

12 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

I don't think Jack Ross brought on Clarkston... I know he did.

Managers prerogative and a decision I'm sure he made with good intent.

Do you think he intentionally fcuked things up?

I agree it is the managers choice I also agree Clarkson did not intentionally play crap but at 31 I think he should be good enough to play with st mirren there is no development left whereas I think callum gallacher at 22  still had one or 2 years to develop his game. I would get rid of Clarkson. I think Jack Ross should have brought on a more defending player yesterday at that stage in the game. Just my thoughts tho. First time I have been critical of Jack since his appointment. I don't think it was the best I have seen us play in recent weeks at home. Morton always looked like they had more players on the park there movement was better than hours especially in mid field. Had way to much space. Hopefully back assesses this this week at training a big game Saturday. Infact all games are big now oh and Mr trump if you would like to invest 

47 minutes ago, Drew said:

IMHO, if this current team was being managed by Ross, Rae, Murray, Teale, Craig, Lennon or MacPherson - they'd be exactly where they are right now. Staring at the third tier of Scottish football. The decline that sees us teetering on the drop is a long and slow decline overseen by a want-away bard of directors when they put the for sale sign up. That's our last seven managers listed there - none of them have / had a magic wand that can arrest our decline as a club. Each of them will have / have had their merits, and each of them will have / have had their weaknesses. All of them share some responsibility for our decline, but I have some sympathy for the situation all of them found themselves in - a club rotten at the top.

Edited by pozbaird

48 minutes ago, Drew said:

IMHO, if this current team was being managed by Ross, Rae, Murray, Teale, Craig, Lennon or MacPherson - they'd be exactly where they are right now. Staring at the third tier of Scottish football. The decline that sees us teetering on the drop is a long and slow decline overseen by a want-away board of directors when they put the for sale signs up. That's our last seven managers listed there - none of them have had a magic wand that could arrest our decline as a club. Each of them will have / have had their merits, and each of them will have / have had their weaknesses. All of them share some responsibility for our decline, but I have some sympathy for the situation all of them found themselves in - a club rotten at the top.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, cockles1987 said:

Ffs, poz. We heard you the first time emoji13.png

Oh, OK, sorry. Under Jack Ross we will win our next five league games, and with four of them being against sides 'in and around' us, we will be just fine. KTF.

Better? I always post better after a Snickers.

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Said it even before his appointment that Ross was wrong for us, when we needed experience to win ugly and stabilise we got a rookie who has only been relegated. Rae had us playing some dire stuff in his six games this season, but i bet we would not be sitting where we are currently if he was still in charge.

the decision to appoint Ross will cost the club hundreds if thousands of pounds unless he can get wins now.

You said Rae had us playing some dire stuff ? Can I correct you there.

Rae had no idea how to set up the team to play anything other than hoof ball, and make no mistake about it the current squad are still suffering the after affects of the little bald dinasours anti-football. 

Of all the recent appointments he has was by far the most damaging appointment.

Edited by class of 76-77
Personal data disclosed by my phone

When Rae came in last season he made is hard (or certainly harder) to beat. We picked up enough points to be comfortably above the relegation spots last season. What was inexplicable though, was when he had the chance to build his own team he signed appallingly, worse than even Murray managed. Add to that he had little or no interest in trying to bring on youth players.

Ross has the dismal, lopsided squad to work with. He's already got rid of two loanees who looked disinterested, and Kyle Hutton - who is a contender for the worst player I've ever seen in a Saints jersey - and replaced them with a couple of hungry young players who have given 100% in every game. For me that in itself is night and day between the two managers.

It would be difficult to judge Ross until he has had what Rae had, two transfer windows. I realise come the second of these windows we might already be relegated, but there has been signs of improvement since he came in and we can't keep changing managers, because it's getting us nowhere.

Should we go down, I reckon Ross is the right man to bring us back up.

Rae had no idea how to set up the team to play anything other than hoof ball, and make no mistake about it the current squad are still suffering the after affects of the little bald dinasours anti-football. 

Tried to give you 10 Likes for that but it would not let me.

13 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Strange then as he and Ross were appointed at the same time, at their respective clubs last season one got their team relegated, and one stabilised and manage their charges to safety. But for reasons best known to the board we sack the one with a track record of succesful management and replace him with the rookie who just got relegated???

you dont have to be any sort of expert to see the flaw in that recruitment process, if you are going to the expense, upheaval and gamble of replacing a management team surely the major requirement among potential candidates is to select someone who can evidence being better in experience, achievements etc than the team you are sacking?

is it just me, or isn't that just bleedin obvious?

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Strange then as he and Ross were appointed at the same time, at their respective clubs last season one got their team relegated, and one stabilised and manage their charges to safety. But for reasons best known to the board we sack the one with a track record of succesful management and replace him with the rookie who just got relegated???

you dont have to be any sort of expert to see the flaw in that recruitment process, if you are going to the expense, upheaval and gamble of replacing a management team surely the major requirement among potential candidates is to select someone who can evidence being better in experience, achievements etc than the team you are sacking?

Its just you.

28 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

You might want to edit my post you quoted with all the personal detail on it bud.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

It's just you.:P

Rae's team was abysmal this season whereas Ross had Alloa playing well.  Short termism has been killing this club, especially from the last board, time for a manager to be given a good run at it.  Speaking personally I am now looking forward to games as I know we have a manager who is trying to get us to play entertaining football, such a concept was foreign to Alex Rae.

Ah, so,you should only recruit worse than, instead of better than present/previous incumbents? 

Board get an A plus for that then.

It's not really a fair comparison. Alloa would have had about the lowest wage budget in the league, possibly the smallest squad, and were part time. Rae came into a club who had just been relegated from the Premier League, have first class training facilities, and had some available money to add to the squad.

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

It's not really a fair comparison. Alloa would have had about the lowest wage budget in the league, possibly the smallest squad, and were part time. Rae came into a club who had just been relegated from the Premier League, have first class training facilities, and had some available money to add to the squad.

If that is the arguement?

then why cant Ross, who has much more time than Rae did with a squad not of his chosing either, at least replicate what his predessecor did? 

then why cant Ross, who has much more time than Rae did with a squad not of his chosing either, at least replicate what his predessecor did? 

Still plenty of time for Ross to replicate Rae's awful style of play.  Ross is here to stay regardless of whether we are relegated or not. Tis a long term project.:)

Edited by scottd

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

I don't know if it's the argument, but it's how I see it. I also think that the squad that Rae inherited had much more balance, and also experience, than the one he left.

9 minutes ago, scottd said:

It's just you.:P

Rae's team was abysmal this season whereas Ross had Alloa playing well.  Short termism has been killing this club, especially from the last board, time for a manager to be given a good run at it.  Speaking personally I am now looking forward to games as I know we have a manager who is trying to get us to play entertaining football, such a concept was foreign to Alex Rae.

Totally agree on the short termism point, that makes the decision to sack Rae after only six league games, three draws and a bundle of cup wins seem so senseless? I think it was purely down to ego, and the chairman wanting his own pick. Trouble is though it will be the fans picking up the bill yet again for the board's folly.