Bottom at Christmas

On 1/7/2017 at 11:59 PM, ScotstounSaint said:

Updated odds on finishing bottom after today's shambles.....

St Mirren 1/6
Ayr 8/1
Dumbarton 8/1
Dunfermline 25/1
Queen of the South 25/1

Latest odds after yesterday's game. We have actually shortened a little :)

St Mirren 1/5

Ayr 7/1
Dumbarton 7/1
Dunfermline 33/1
Queen of the South 33/1

Bottom in September, bottom at Christmas, and no matter what happens we will still be bottom 2 months later on the morning of the 25th of February.

The season from hell.

It has been. I'm trying to stay positive but I'm preparing for the worst. I've grave doubts we have it in us to get out of this.

1 hour ago, div said:

I remain committed to the cause mate but with each passing week it's getting harder and harder to see a way out.

If we win our next 2 games and Ayr lose theirs , we head to Somerset park knowing a win will take us above them . 

A big if , but far from impossible. 

Just now, div said:

I remain committed to the cause mate but with each passing week it's getting harder and harder to see a way out.

Div......Furfuxsake...dont you be Mr Negative like TC (we dont need nor appreciate his type on here)

we WILL progress...we WILL succeed...we Will NOT get relegated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BELIEVE !!!!!!! 

Has there ever been a thread with more 'if yer' auntie had baws' scenarios!? If we beat this, if they lose to those, in, out, in out, shake it all about, if we win the next two, three, if Ayr draw against Melchester Rovers then by March 33rd we would only be 2.75 points behind (assuming Dumbarton don't lose to)....

Mon' the Melchester.

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Has there ever been a thread with more 'if yer' auntie had baws' scenarios!? If we beat this, if they lose to those, in, out, in out, shake it all about, if we win the next two, three, if Ayr draw against Melchester Rovers then by March 33rd we would only be 2.75 points behind (assuming Dumbarton don't lose to)....

Mon' the Melchester.

I'd definitely say there is more "we're doomed " talk going on . Like many I prefer to remain hopeful that we can salvage something from the season . Can't really see where negativity gets you . 

1 hour ago, munoz said:

I'd definitely say there is more "we're doomed " talk going on . Like many I prefer to remain hopeful that we can salvage something from the season . Can't really see where negativity gets you . 

Agreed mate, I try and adopt the glass half full approach to Saints as the half empty view would drive me nuts.

There should be an element of realism though, both within the support, the boardroom and the players.

We are in a crisis right now, there is no other word for it. Yes we can get ourselves out of it, but the players really do need to step up to the plate and show they want it as much as we do.

There are season defining games ahead and it's going to be about bottle. If we can narrow the gap on Ayr there is a good chance they could wobble. At the moment though we're not clawing back the gap and every break seems to be going against us.

Hope that Jack can get the win streak that we badly need.

Mon' the Melchester.

Melchester Rovers. What a team. We could do with a Vic Guthrie type player in that centre of midfield. Kicked anything that moved. Not sure where he is now. Think he may have meant to Carford City for one last big pay day.

Just now, div said:

Agreed mate, I try and adopt the glass half full approach to Saints as the half empty view would drive me nuts.

There should be an element of realism though, both within the support, the boardroom and the players.

We are in a crisis right now, there is no other word for it. Yes we can get ourselves out of it, but the players really do need to step up to the plate and show they want it as much as we do.

There are season defining games ahead and it's going to be about bottle. If we can narrow the gap on Ayr there is a good chance they could wobble. At the moment though we're not clawing back the gap and every break seems to be going against us.

Hope that Jack can get the win streak that we badly need.

its only football

If anyone had said that to me in the two minutes following the final whistle of the 2010 League Cup Final I would have lamped them.

My youngest son (5) loves football & often uses my phone to watch football & any Saints games he can find.

Last weekend while I'm driving he sat in back with my phone watching YouTube.

I hear the commentary , us in the famous 3-2 away win to Motherwell, quite enjoying listening and visualising the game.He clicks on next clip etc etc etc, he then gets to us beating Celtic 4-0 after 'that' game , still quite enjoying it.He knows all the clips inside out that he's seen and has now clicked on our 3-2 semi final win against Celtic, turns to my next oldest son (7) as they get a penalty and says 'oh he misses this' etc , I'm loving driving listening to the games.

I've never ever seen or heard any highlights or commentary from 'THAT' 2010 game & have no desire to.

Next clip , I'm thinking , what this ? Then I hear Naismith ........ to Miller ..... FFS!

He's only 5 , he didn't know , but really ? I don't speak about or google 'that' game , but he now knows we never speak about it :D

2 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

I hope he never finds a clip of the Swedish team game. emoji24.png

That was easier to take than 2010. IMHO... anyway, we won the damn thing a mere three years later, possibly the most unlike-St Mirren thing St Mirren have managed in this or any other lifetime. What SHOULD have happened is twenty plus years of us crashing out the League Cup to lower league sides, followed by flashbacks to Vietnam, sorry, Hampden, in our dreams, haunting us for two decades plus of pain. That was the script I had written in my head after that final.

4 hours ago, munoz said:

If we win our next 2 games and Ayr lose theirs , we head to Somerset park knowing a win will take us above them . 

A big if , but far from impossible. 

Ayr have a Championship game while we play the New Saints semi-final, so we are looking for them to lose 4 in a row while we win 3 in a row to overtake them that day.

That was easier to take than 2010. IMHO... anyway, we won the damn thing a mere three years later, possibly the most unlike-St Mirren thing St Mirren have managed in this or any other lifetime. What SHOULD have happened is twenty plus years of us crashing out the League Cup to lower league sides, followed by flashbacks to Vietnam, sorry, Hampden, in our dreams, haunting us for two decades plus of pain. That was the script I had written in my head after that final.

And this captures exactly why we 'will' pull off the great escape.

It'll be 'The most unlike St Mirren thing' you'd expect this season.

We win , we draw , we lose together but we also get albeit rarely or unexpectedly to enjoy something we'd least except, this time ? It'll be survival.

16 minutes ago, div said:

Try telling that to the people who work at the club who could lose their jobs if we go down.

Everyone involved suffers if we go down.

But, like Div, I think of those who earn their living through the club. Could be life changing.

As fans, the hurt in the event that we were to be relegated would be emotional. 

Bad but bearable.

But - it hasn't happened yet and there is no point in being frozen by fear.

It is not 1nevitable!

On 1/15/2017 at 4:21 PM, ScotstounSaint said:

Latest odds after yesterday's game. We have actually shortened a little :)

St Mirren 1/5

Ayr 7/1
Dumbarton 7/1
Dunfermline 33/1
Queen of the South 33/1

Updated odds after the weekend games. Do the bookies see the first signs of a Saints revival?!

St Mirren 1/3
Ayr 9/2
Dumbarton 9/2