New Manager?

Buddie Marvelous

Record Reporting...

Alan Stubbs set for St Mirren axe with Jim McIntyre poised to take over

Record Sport understands the former Hibs boss is to be replaced after less than three months in charge.

By
Record Sport Online
  • 12:32, 3 SEP 2018
  • UPDATED12:37, 3 SEP 2018
0_JS161227550.jpg

Get Sport updates directly to your inbox
SubscribeSee our privacy notice

St Mirren are set to axe Alan Stubbs and call on Jim McIntyre in a bid to reverse an alarming start to the season.

The Buddies have lost three of their four opening league fixtures and sit second bottom following their return to the Premiership.

Record Sport understands the former Hibs manager will become the first top-flight managerial casualty of the campaign - less than three months after accepting the job.

It is believed a compensation package is being worked on and that Stubbs won't be in the dugout for Celtic's visit to Paisley at the end of the international break on Friday, September 14.

Stubbs replaced Championship-winning gaffer Jack Ross on a three-year deal in June following his move to Sunderland

0_JS158100301.jpg

JS117054859-1.jpg
Jim McIntyre is in line to replace him (Image: SNS Group)

St Mirren opened their Premiership campaign with a 2-1 victory under Dundee but that success has been followed by worrying displays against Rangers and Livingston.

Those losses were preceded by an indifferent Betfred Cup campaign that included draws with Spartans and Queen's Park before a 4-0 thumping from Aberdeen.

Stubbs' side shipped another four goals away at Hearts on Saturday and that has proved the final straw for the Paisley club's hierarchy and now former Ross County boss McIntyre is hot favourite to step in.

The 46-year-old has been out of work since being sacked by Ross County just under a year ago.

McIntyre recently rejected an offer from Falkirk to replace Paul Hartley and is now on a verge of a top-flight return.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-stubbs-set-st-mirren-13185691

Edited by Buddie Marvelous

27 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

If this is true, and I do think it holds water, then the BOD must be thinking that another manager can more out the current squad. Keep us in touch and then spend in Jan window.

I wonder if this is just Stubbs or Jackson also ?

Yep.  Even with the shambolic recruitment and imbalanced squad, McIntyre or someone else can surely establish some squad unity, direction and manage to scrap for results until January.

Then it will be time for a Jack Ross style January overhaul and hopefully we'll have some green shoots in the meantime to justify spending some of the budget and/or some of the McGinn money. 

ETA:  Jackson has to go as well. That is in no doubt. 

The only remaining decision will surely be whether Rice stays on. 

Edited by Maboza

45 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

If this is true, and I do think it holds water, then the BOD must be thinking that another manager can more out the current squad. Keep us in touch and then spend in Jan window.

I wonder if this is just Stubbs or Jackson also ?

DJ. Despite feeling that AS should be given more time, it looks like that isn't going to happen. In that event, the International Break provides an opportunity for things to be sorted out and a New Management Team brought in. I would think that Stubbs, Rice and Jackson might all go. If Jim McIntryre comes in then Iwould think Billy Dodds will come with him. I feel for Stubbs.He has had a number of challenges in life and also feel for Brian Rice who left a Job to join him at Saints. Alan Stubbs has, I must admit, the demeanor of a man with his own demons to face. Should he go, then I wish him well in the future. Some things just don't work and JR was a very hard act to follow. That burden should now be eased for the next person coming in.

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

DJ. Despite feeling that AS should be given more time, it looks like that isn't going to happen. In that event, the International Break provides an opportunity for things to be sorted out and a New Management Team brought in. I would think that Stubbs, Rice and Jackson might all go. If Jim McIntryre comes in then Iwould think Billy Dodds will come with him. I feel for Stubbs.He has had a number of challenges in life and also feel for Brian Rice who left a Job to join him at Saints. Alan Stubbs has, I must admit, the demeanor of a man with his own demons to face. Should he go, then I wish him well in the future. Some things just don't work and JR was a very hard act to follow. That burden should now be eased for the next person coming in.

Mate like you, I support St Mirren, not the manager................ what happens I go with....... agree Stubbs has not been given much time however we have to be a Premiership club, we need to be at the top table, and right now we are miles away from even being competitive ......  we are a small club in a big league so its vital for our success that players, managers and fans share the visions. As certain I was in Jack's belief last season for success always taking defeat as his learning curve, any manager blaming his players after 4 league games is one  on a short plank

No doubt Alan is a nice guy and did well for Hibs to win the Scottish Cup but he was poor for Hibs in the Championship given their budget.He was an abject failure at Rotherham and apparently left with a handsome payoff.He has struggled badly with us in terms of results and recruitment.Now I know we are only four games into the league campaign but it took us to penalties to beat two amateur sides in the League Cup.Alan clearly has lost touch with the Scottish market and seemed only intent in bringing in lads from down south like the non league players and young loanees with little experience.In his post interview at Tynie he mentioned injured players but he had already told McKenzie McShane and Eckersley they were surplus to requirements and I I have heard that he tried to punt Cammy Smith on loan.He has clearly lost it and his time is up for me.

11 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

I wonder if wee Doddsy will be coming in as McIntyre's assistant, well I suppose the forum will be looking for a new 

pantomime villain anyway..

It's possible that if Stubby goes then Jackson would follow. This could cost us a hefty sum. Perhaps McIntyre could work with Rice (with a help from Allan McManus short term)/

12 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

It's possible that if Stubby goes then Jackson would follow. This could cost us a hefty sum. Perhaps McIntyre could work with Rice (with a help from Allan McManus short term)/

If he gets bagged now there's no need for "short term" I don't think.....they will know who they have in mind, even if it's a short-list, and we've got a fortnight for the  new manager to get his thoughts and ideas across and for a bit of time for him to assess his squad.

Biggest issue for me is can McIntyre hit a golf ball or not. Got a big day at Mar Hall on Thursday with the Fan Council Golf Day, or as it has been renamed, the Fan Council Always Co-Incides with a Crisis Club Tipping Point Golf Day.

Seriously though, it always does. I’ve played in it when Ian Murray sat in a corner and pretty much ignored everyone, and when Danny’s Pringle jumper was on a shoogly peg, and...

Feckin’ Golf Day - kiss of death for any St Mirren manager.

1 hour ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

No doubt Alan is a nice guy and did well for Hibs to win the Scottish Cup but he was poor for Hibs in the Championship given their budget.He was an abject failure at Rotherham and apparently left with a handsome payoff.He has struggled badly with us in terms of results and recruitment.Now I know we are only four games into the league campaign but it took us to penalties to beat two amateur sides in the League Cup.Alan clearly has lost touch with the Scottish market and seemed only intent in bringing in lads from down south like the non league players and young loanees with little experience.In his post interview at Tynie he mentioned injured players but he had already told McKenzie McShane and Eckersley they were surplus to requirements and I I have heard that he tried to punt Cammy Smith on loan.He has clearly lost it and his time is up for me.

To be fair to him,  he appears to have  told them they could go if another club wanted them. . He didn't free them.  He maintained their contracts.  He was perhaps too fair. 

58 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Erm......

Now, about the new manager....

Some of the original applicants appear to be available.  Speculation has it that one of those..Jim McIntyre will be appointed. I wouldn't argue with that based on his time at Ross County. I guess he would have something to prove . But forget the superstars like Guti and Kluivert.