Jimmy Nicholl - Yet another coach!

div

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Are you kidding? Players from years ago were better because the overal fitness and standards to be a footballer was lower. (Not the talent) 

Do you think George Best would be the player he was now rockin onto a park after five pints and a gram of coke? No chance. 

Anyone that doesn’t believe this, look at the world class players Scotland produced in the 60s and 70s, very many. We haven’t produced one now for probably over 20 years. Either a massive stroke of bad luck or clear evidence it takes much more to be a world class footballer these days, than just your talent. 

Counties that invest in the development of their players in the modern day, including sports scientists and coaching programs, develop better players. That’s fact 

Except us apparently. We've been using sports scientists for 2 decades.

You can continue to  ignore this all you want but it doesnt chamge that fact.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Another fantastic contribution to another thread. :blink:

Do you never feel the need to add a constructive post from time to time?

I could bore the pants off everyone on a subject I have no clue about - is that constructive?? Nice to see I've got a wee lapdog - down boy... :D

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Really? I could have sworn Belfast, in Norn Iron 'produced' George Best???

oh and i would keep an eye out in the post for the legal action from his family Re.:Your unfounded drugs slur Baz. Relatives of tbe deceased tend not to take kindly to that kind of a ting!

I didn’t say they didn’t, what are you on about? Two different points. George Best would not be the player he was then in today’s market if he got up to the same antics. Second point Scotland produced world class players then and don’t now. You’re really having a nightmare these past few days. 

Do his family members often visit B&WArmy? 

Edited by bazil85

6 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I could bore the pants off everyone on a subject I have no clue about - is that constructive?? Nice to see I've got a wee lapdog - down boy... :D

You have no idea what people do and dont have expertise in.

But that offends your ego. So you kick out.

That's why you post the way you do.

In many ways you havent really progressed from our ape ancestors.

2 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

I doubt Alan will need to work for a while with all the money Saints are giving  him cos fans like you forced him out after only 4 games!

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Who did Stubbs get rid of that Jack got right?

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

You've named 5 players there.

2 have been injured all season while 2 have been benched by the new manager.

And I doubt that Reilly would have been playing ahead of Jackson.

Seems that Stubbs was right!

Alan, Alan, Alan, give it up please. You had the chance but blew it through a dreadful recruitment policy and your inability at man management. Your coming across like a bitter, bitter man. Go and enjoy your payoff. After all I got you it (in your mind) !!!

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

You have no idea what people do and dont have expertise in.

But that offends your ego. So you kick out.

That's why you post the way you do.

In many ways you havent really progressed from our ape ancestors.

You're an amateur psychologist as well! :lol:

Is there nothing you aren't a self-proclaimed expert in? 

Outstanding.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Can't agree with you on this one.  Players,  in general,  are far fitter now.  The game is faster and players bodies are under more strain.  Ingesting the right things,  stretching and using individually created fitness schedules can improve physical performance and prolong the careers of players beyond that of those in the past. 

Kenyan long distance runners come from the high plateau area of the country.. Sone 6000+ feet up so grow up and train at altitude. This gives them a built in advantag  which others seek to combat by going to altitude as well. 

Maybe fitter but most Scottish players are shite at football. 

Watch them tomorrow trying to pass at speed, shoot, dribble and control a fecking ball. 

17 minutes ago, shull said:

Maybe fitter but most Scottish players are shite at football. 

Watch them tomorrow trying to pass at speed, shoot, dribble and control a fecking ball. 

And why has that changed from a generation+ ago? Let’s have a think about what’s changed in football terms over that period. It’s clearly, in part the sports science side 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Alan, Alan, Alan, give it up please. You had the chance but blew it through a dreadful recruitment policy and your inability at man management. Your coming across like a bitter, bitter man. Go and enjoy your payoff. After all I got you it (in your mind) !!!

His name's Andy? :blink:

11 minutes ago, munoz said:

Lewis Morgan is better than most I grew up watching. I'm sure he's not the only one,. 

It's easy to get swayed by nostalgia. 

Way too early on Morgan to be anywhere near the standard of many Scottish players, past or present IMO.

It is an interesting point nostalgia, for some, is all that they see, it's all over this forum.

Overall I believe the standard has fallen, based on the progress, or lack of TBH, of Scottish teams and players over the last 20 years or so. 

Nothing can really be proved, just a view. 

42 minutes ago, munoz said:

Lewis Morgan is better than most I grew up watching. I'm sure he's not the only one,. 

It's easy to get swayed by nostalgia. 

Age brings it's own problems. 

It's easy to see the past through a rosy fog. 

Biggest difference to me is that defenders have improved. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Way too early on Morgan to be anywhere near the standard of many Scottish players, past or present IMO.

It is an interesting point nostalgia, for some, is all that they see, it's all over this forum.

Overall I believe the standard has fallen, based on the progress, or lack of TBH, of Scottish teams and players over the last 20 years or so. 

Nothing can really be proved, just a view. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Age brings it's own problems. 

It's easy to see the past through a rosy fog. 

Biggest difference to me is that defenders have improved. 

I've watched old games from the mid 80's on YouTube and it's like watching a different sport at times. Then you could get away with not being a well tuned athlete, the game was a lot slower in general and as for the physicality of the tackles aloud , it's night and day. 

I probably prefer the football from back then cause I was a kid/teenager,  but was it a better all round standard ? I doubt it (imo)

18 minutes ago, munoz said:

I've watched old games from the mid 80's on YouTube and it's like watching a different sport at times. Then you could get away with not being a well tuned athlete, the game was a lot slower in general and as for the physicality of the tackles aloud , it's night and day. 

I probably prefer the football from back then cause I was a kid/teenager,  but was it a better all round standard ? I doubt it (imo)

There's no doubt the games faster and more physical but the basic skills are, IMO, in decline.

The amount of time that players miss hit a pass, cross, shot or header is frightening, even in the top teams.

It looks like they don't practice hitting a moving ball.

As I said, the lack of Scottish players in top teams would suggest we are not in demand, although the influx of players from foreign lands could also be a factor but it also suggests they are better in all departments. 

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Except us apparently. We've been using sports scientists for 2 decades.

You can continue to  ignore this all you want but it doesnt chamge that fact.

Are you genuinely saying the level of investment in sports science and other modern approaches to player coaching in Scotland is the same level as countries with successful youth development systems? :huh:

32 minutes ago, munoz said:

I go back to the early 60's as a teenager and it was even truer then that footballers were less fit.  There were more part time players and people often did more manual work than they do now.  Ball skills such as dribbling might have been better.  Lists of small (Tanner back)  playground games maybe made those skills essential. 

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

There's no doubt the games faster and more physical but the basic skills are, IMO, in decline.

The amount of time that players miss hit a pass, cross, shot or header is frightening, even in the top teams.

As I said, the lack of Scottish players in top teams would suggest we are not in demand, although the influx of players from foreign lands could also be a factor but it also suggests they are better in all departments. 

That’s all a by product of a quicker more physically demanding game, it’s not a dip in skill. You pluck a 1996 Gazza and put him in a modern game, he might measmurise for 10 minutes, then as soon as he gets tired he’d be getting caught in possession and be making slack passes as well. Modern football isn’t losing skill, it’s evolved due to the physical demands. 

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Maybe the fact you don't see kids playing in the streets anymore might have something to do with the lack of skills.  Back in the 70/80's kids were almost born with football at their feet. 

Just now, bazil85 said:

That’s all a by product of a quicker more physically demanding game, it’s not a dip in skill. You pluck a 1996 Gazza and put him in a modern game, he might measmurise for 10 minutes, then as soon as he gets tired he’d be getting caught in possession and be making slack passes as well. Modern football isn’t losing skill, it’s evolved due to the physical demands. 

No it isn't.

You're simple idea about Gazza doesn't wash as he would be physically as fit as the players playing now. :lol:

How come Messi manages it, to name but one?

You're simple analogy is, quite simply, pish, IMO.

To also state it as fact is also pish, this debate does not have a winner or loser.

It's like "Who's the best player ever" debate. 

10 minutes ago, munoz said:

Maybe the fact you don't see kids playing in the streets anymore might have something to do with the lack of skills.  Back in the 70/80's kids were almost born with football at their feet. 

Not easy to say TBH.

Yes, them days are gone but there are more organised teams, skills training and physical training.

Could be training methods, application or a number of things.

No real easy answer.