Coronavirus

faraway saint

On 6/12/2020 at 6:23 PM, Sue Denim said:

Doh!

A higher proportion of the Swedish population live in urban areas than in the UK

The lockdown is killing millions!

Doh we have a higher number of populated areas given we have a higher population, doh. You are incapable of explaining away the several countries around Sweden with a tiny fraction of deaths compared to them due to lockdown are you? Coincidence maybe? doh 

On 6/12/2020 at 6:30 PM, Sue Denim said:

Sweden haven’t admitted they were wrong. And Norway have now come out to say they shouldn’t have locked down either.

The lockdown you are supporting has killed 000s in the U.K., killing millions worldwide and has saved no-one.

Blood on your hands baz, blood in your hands. 

Several people linked to the strategy in Sweden have said it's wrong and they would have handled it differently in hindsight. Your claim the lockdown has killed more than it has saved is still unfounded. The excessive deaths tell us this. And where excessive deaths look like there are other causes, it's often very sketchy detail (like care home deaths in England for example, no one has explained what else has caused an explosion in non-covid related deaths in these homes and why the data is so vastly different just over a border) 

On 6/12/2020 at 7:10 PM, Sue Denim said:

NHS waiting list to hit 10 million this year

but who cares, eh? @bazil85 @TPAFKATS

shame on you 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52984742

Everyone knew this was going to happen, it's unavoidable. It isn't a reason not to lock-down and continue as normal. To do so would have overwhelmed the NHS and condemned many more to die. This is factual given we know the more people you come into contact with, with coronavirus, the more people get sick. Basic stuff, you trying to use a reference that we all knew would be an unfortunate impact is ridiculous. 

On 6/12/2020 at 7:49 PM, Sue Denim said:

I haven’t changed my mind says Sweden’s science chief

oh dear, @bazil85 gets it wrong

yet again 😂

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/06/sometimes-feel-like-punchbag-architect-swedens-virus-model-another/

Many people in Sweden have been very opposed to this, this includes people that defined the approach. their infection rate compared to comparable nations show they were wrong. Well for anyone that values human life over economy. We know you don't. You'd happily welcome much more death as long as the economy doesn't suffer, very clear. 

9 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

25,000 sick and elderly patients thrown out of hospitals and Covid seeded into care homes as part of the Tory police state lockdown policy supported by @bazil85 and @TPAFKATS

Lockdown has killed tens of 000s in the U.K. and will kill millions worldwide. Time to end it. 

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Readying-the-NHS-and-adult-social-care-in-England-for-COVID-19.pdf

This is my point on where you contradict yourself. How would you have dealt with this, where would you have put these people? I imagine you'd have life running pretty much as normal and no lockdown so where do they go after hospital or when the NHS is overwhelmed because of a massive increase of cases? Or are you saying the view you've had for months that there shouldn't be a lockdown has been incorrect? 

Lockdown has saved lives, look at how quickly the virus took hold, look at how that's been treated with lockdown measures, look at the comparison in countries that haven't done it like Brazil and Sweden. You're wrong, you not accepting it wont change facts. 

9 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I don't think you can blame the governments (Westminster or Holyrood) too much - from the article @TPAFKATS recommended

maybe a bit more openness but to an extent everyone was flying blind. 

What I do blame the government for is not realizing by Jan 23 (the first Cobra meeting) that there was going to be a run on PPE & test kits & probably even realizing that we'd need a track'n'trace program at some point, then dithering on easing lockdown restrictions where they seem to be "flying kites" and waiting on reactions rather than "following the science" and taking the lead - that's more a criticism of BJ/Westminster.

Hide contents

Oh, and the appalling statistics they have provided over the last 3 months!  :double FS

To be honest, throwing 25,000 sick and elderly patients out of hospital, seeding Covid into care homes and shutting down the NHS has caused the deaths

it doesn’t take a genius

Quarantining the fit and healthy and killing the vulnerable was never going to end well 

Edited by Sue Denim

2 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

To be honest, throwing 25,000 sick and elderly patients out of hospital, seeding Covid into care homes and shutting down the NHS has caused the deaths

it doesn’t take a genius

Quarantining the fit and healthy and killing the vulnerable was never going to end well 

There is at least a scintilla of truth in what you write. A poor decision. 

Swinney far from reassuring on Politics Scotland re Schools returning in August. Blended model will be for the full school year according to him, no situation he can foresee where physical distancing as he put it won't be required in that time frame. Split at best 40/60 with the 60% home learning part being non enforceable and basically up to parents to ensure compliance. It will be compulsory for pupils to attend on schooling days. Exams if happening are likely to be pushed back a few weeks and condensed probably early to mid May finishing in time for the end of June. Far from certain exams will happen though. Reading between the lines it seems exams happening will be dependent upon the compliance with what will be a "voluntary " 60% home schooling element. What a clusterf**k.

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Swinney far from reassuring on Politics Scotland re Schools returning in August. Blended model will be for the full school year according to him, no situation he can foresee where physical distancing as he put it won't be required in that time frame. Split at best 40/60 with the 60% home learning part being non enforceable and basically up to parents to ensure compliance. It will be compulsory for pupils to attend on schooling days. Exams if happening are likely to be pushed back a few weeks and condensed probably early to mid May finishing in time for the end of June. Far from certain exams will happen though. Reading between the lines it seems exams happening will be dependent upon the compliance with what will be a "voluntary " 60% home schooling element. What a clusterf**k.

I think it's just typical politician speak. He doesn't want to commit to anything lest there's comeback. I personally think there will come a time, sooner rather than later, when the decision is made to fully open schools. I hope we are in a situation where the much lauded vaccine is available. That will remove it from the political spectrum.

I think it's just typical politician speak. He doesn't want to commit to anything lest there's comeback. I personally think there will come a time, sooner rather than later, when the decision is made to fully open schools. I hope we are in a situation where the much lauded vaccine is available. That will remove it from the political spectrum.
Long way from a reliable vaccine on the volume required. I would like to here a target / aim from the SG eg X days of zero new infections or under 5 (a defined number) means we can have schools and sports crowds back. We are in danger of meandering on like we are for months / years. It needs a bit of structure and a bit of an aim the public might actually be more inclined to engage with to achieve. The "wee hints" and moving goalposts approach just frustrates.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Long way from a reliable vaccine on the volume required. I would like to here a target / aim from the SG eg X days of zero new infections or under 5 (a defined number) means we can have schools and sports crowds back. We are in danger of meandering on like we are for months / years. It needs a bit of structure and a bit of an aim the public might actually be more inclined to engage with to achieve. The "wee hints" and moving goalposts approach just frustrates.

I tend to agree with you that in order to keep the public engaged it might be necessary to pick out key target dates. Schools face difficulties of their own as the staff have become more militant in recent years. Hence John Swinney taking that brief on. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Definitely hedging his bets.

We're 50/50, in school v's home school. I'll see my S5/6 classes every week, but for three periods instead of six. Below S5/6 , it will be three periods every other week, instead of three periods every week.

As staff will be on full timetables teaching pupils, the level of input into online learning will be reduced, hence the need for parents help ensure pupil engagement.

If the current trend in Covid cases, in terms of infections/deaths etc. continues, I can see a move towards more "normal" timetabling possibly after the October week.

The SQA won't want to commit to anything hugely significant, as they won't want to make yet another u-turn on one of their pronouncements. 

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Indeed. The risk averse approach by the government in all areas, but in particular education, is baffling. This blended learning nonsense is destined to fail. How is that going to be feasible when most people are back to work, and many grandparents, who previously provided a lot of childcare, can't because they are vulnerable? Lack of education will have a massive impact on all children, but especially the most at risk. Currently, the government estimates 4500 in Scotland have the virus. That's one in 1200. Children are 50 times more likely to die in a car accident than they are of Covid. From under reacting in February and March, there is now a massive over reaction which will harm people.

Not often I agree with Andy, but he's bang on with this.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Indeed. The risk averse approach by the government in all areas, but in particular education, is baffling. This blended learning nonsense is destined to fail. How is that going to be feasible when most people are back to work, and many grandparents, who previously provided a lot of childcare, can't because they are vulnerable? Lack of education will have a massive impact on all children, but especially the most at risk. Currently, the government estimates 4500 in Scotland have the virus. That's one in 1200. Children are 50 times more likely to die in a car accident than they are of Covid. From under reacting in February and March, there is now a massive over reaction which will harm people.

There are many public buildings which could be adapted to suit. 

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Schools should have been back by now and exams could easily have gone ahead using social distancing.

What's causing a problem here is an overly cautious minority SNP government hedging their bets and the heavily unionised teaching profession taking full advantage.

The kids are literally the last people everyone is thinking about.