Jump to content

faraway saint

Effect of Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

The Ronseal stuff that we used to paint our fences was in the hut over winter and it was fine.

Water based so it's ok, I used up half a 5lt tub to redo the garden shed, came up a treat, Harvest Gold. 👍 It had been in the shed for years, opened. 

Just shows you, Oaky is a trumpet. 🎺

Edited by faraway saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Captain Tom Moore, at the risk of [mention=4199]oaksoft[/mention] saying I'm weak, I'm glad to report has been rewarded with a knighthood.
Raised £32m and has done something very rare, shown a spirit that, at 100 years old, is remarkable.
As an ex BB sergeant I salute you. 
That's Colonel Sir Tom to you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:
10 hours ago, faraway saint said:
Captain Tom Moore, at the risk of [mention=4199]oaksoft[/mention] saying I'm weak, I'm glad to report has been rewarded with a knighthood.
Raised £32m and has done something very rare, shown a spirit that, at 100 years old, is remarkable.
As an ex BB sergeant I salute you. emoji38.png

That's Colonel Sir Tom to you...

I salute you..............Middle finger hand sign detailed Royalty Free Vector Image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One of the current debates is when can people get away on holiday, I mean abroad.
I was originally reasonably sure later in the year, October onward, we could get away.
Then I wavered and thought this year would be a "no go" for everyone.
Now other countries are already slowly opening up and the signs are that the current obstacles over flights and quarantine could be overcome.
I've already mentioned we've been ok with a full refund so we're primed and ready to go, if the opportunity arises later in the year.
Slightly concerned the prices will initially rise, if so, they can shove it, I'll wait till next year. 

As stated earlier in the thread I’m locked in with Jet2 and due to fly to Lanzarote on the 25/06, big problem is I have a type 1 diabetic 10 year old son and we will not be flying under any circumstances- lesser problem is unless they cancel by pushing flight window out is that I lose £1200

Ouch!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:
13 hours ago, faraway saint said:
Captain Tom Moore, at the risk of [mention=4199]oaksoft[/mention] saying I'm weak, I'm glad to report has been rewarded with a knighthood.
Raised £32m and has done something very rare, shown a spirit that, at 100 years old, is remarkable.
As an ex BB sergeant I salute you. emoji38.png

That's Colonel Sir Tom to you...

FFS this is getting ridiculous.

What more are they going to through at this man?

We've reached peak virtue signalling. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

FFS this is getting ridiculous.

What more are they going to through at this man?

We've reached peak virtue signalling. :lol:

He’s got to be a contender for Sports Personality of the Year.

btw it’s throw....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 7:22 PM, faraway saint said:

Phoned my local B&Q today and spoke to a very pleasant lady who, while couldn't give me a date when fence paint would be delivered, did inform me Wednesday & Friday are delivery days so if I phone on Thursday or Saturday morning they'll let me know if the colour I wanted is in store. :thumbs2

 

Phoned down at 9:00am, spoke to Rachael, asked about the colour I was after, she, while still on the phone, went and had a look, only 3 tubs left, could she put one away and I'd be down in 15 mins? "Not really supposed to but come up to the garden section and ask for me, I'll put it away". :thumbs2

Popped down, a small queue but, as I've mentioned before B&Q are really slick and adhering to all the rules on cleaning trolleys and distancing.

Found Rachael, sure enough the paint was hidden under a table. :lol:

On the way out another worker mentioned that fence paint was like gold dust. 

There was plenty of 12lt tubs of the dark oak colour, Forest Green is obviously more in demand. 

Unfortunately the weather is not really looking like being suitable over the next couple of days, Sunday might be reasonable enough to get it onto the fence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoned down at 9:00am, spoke to Rachael, asked about the colour I was after, she, while still on the phone, went and had a look, only 3 tubs left, could she put one away and I'd be down in 15 mins? "Not really supposed to but come up to the garden section and ask for me, I'll put it away". :thumbs2
Popped down, a small queue but, as I've mentioned before B&Q are really slick and adhering to all the rules on cleaning trolleys and distancing.
Found Rachael, sure enough the paint was hidden under a table. 
On the way out another worker mentioned that fence paint was like gold dust. 
There was plenty of 12lt tubs of the dark oak colour, Forest Green is obviously more in demand. 
Unfortunately the weather is not really looking like being suitable over the next couple of days, Sunday might be reasonable enough to get it onto the fence. 
Hope you didn't use the lassies real name, you know what the grasses are like on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RichardBuddie said:


As stated earlier in the thread I’m locked in with Jet2 and due to fly to Lanzarote on the 25/06, big problem is I have a type 1 diabetic 10 year old son and we will not be flying under any circumstances- lesser problem is unless they cancel by pushing flight window out is that I lose £1200

Ouch!!

Assuming you have tried your insurance company about this. 

I would be surprise if that flight went ahead since it is only 5 weeks away.

If it did, could you not try and sell your holiday on to someone else and get some cash back ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, FTOF said:

The Ronseal stuff that we used to paint our fences was in the hut over winter and it was fine.

There was very little frost last year was a very mild winter unlike the year before, beast from the east etc.  he did say... been in the shed for years, it should say on the tin storage temperature,  Bin it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Assuming you have tried your insurance company about this. 
I would be surprise if that flight went ahead since it is only 5 weeks away.
If it did, could you not try and sell your holiday on to someone else and get some cash back ?  

I’ve not contacted the insurance yet as I’m not too keen to ‘show my hand’ - it’s a good idea, I’m just hoping that Jet2 push their dates out and then I could get the no quibble refund.

I’ve absolutely no desire to take a risk and it’s too soon, the holiday would likely be rubbish now anyway!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Assuming you have tried your insurance company about this. 
I would be surprise if that flight went ahead since it is only 5 weeks away.
If it did, could you not try and sell your holiday on to someone else and get some cash back ?  
I'd have bought it but don't fly back from Malaga until the 27th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lockdown was supposed to be about ensuring that the NHS didn’t become overwhelmed.

It was about ensuring that no-one died as a result of the NHS becoming overwhelmed. 

The NHS didn’t come near to being overwhelmed and the evidence of Sweden is that it never would have.

And lockdown came after the peak of infections anyway so any impact will have been very limited.
 

With 50-90% of people with the virus asymptomatic, track and trace is obviously not going to work. It’s just something to allow the government to pretend that they are doing something. It’s something to try and reassure the population that’s it’s safe to leave the house. 

So can we just stop the pretence and lift the lockdown completely and entirely.

Its killed at least 13,000 so far, will kill thousands more in the U.K. and millions worldwide, came too late to have much impact, wasn’t needed to stop the NHS becoming overwhelmed, has caused record unemployment.the worst ever economic depression and is of little risk to working age healthy people. 
 

Time to end it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Lockdown was supposed to be about ensuring that the NHS didn’t become overwhelmed.

It was about ensuring that no-one died as a result of the NHS becoming overwhelmed. 

The NHS didn’t come near to being overwhelmed and the evidence of Sweden is that it never would have.

And lockdown came after the peak of infections anyway so any impact will have been very limited.
 

With 50-90% of people with the virus asymptomatic, track and trace is obviously not going to work. It’s just something to allow the government to pretend that they are doing something. It’s something to try and reassure the population that’s it’s safe to leave the house. 

So can we just stop the pretence and lift the lockdown completely and entirely.

Its killed at least 13,000 so far, will kill thousands more in the U.K. and millions worldwide, came too late to have much impact, wasn’t needed to stop the NHS becoming overwhelmed, has caused record unemployment.the worst ever economic depression and is of little risk to working age healthy people. 
 

Time to end it. 

Clever :rolleyes:  Disregarding the evidence that came out of Italy and Spain,  Classic example of the first casualty of war..... the truth 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Lockdown was supposed to be about ensuring that the NHS didn’t become overwhelmed.

It was about ensuring that no-one died as a result of the NHS becoming overwhelmed. 

The NHS didn’t come near to being overwhelmed and the evidence of Sweden is that it never would have.

And lockdown came after the peak of infections anyway so any impact will have been very limited.
 

With 50-90% of people with the virus asymptomatic, track and trace is obviously not going to work. It’s just something to allow the government to pretend that they are doing something. It’s something to try and reassure the population that’s it’s safe to leave the house. 

So can we just stop the pretence and lift the lockdown completely and entirely.

Its killed at least 13,000 so far, will kill thousands more in the U.K. and millions worldwide, came too late to have much impact, wasn’t needed to stop the NHS becoming overwhelmed, has caused record unemployment.the worst ever economic depression and is of little risk to working age healthy people. 
 

Time to end it. 

You clearly forget the Italian hospitals were overrun at their peak with the virus.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing and you can only plan/prepare as best as possible.  Do you think the government's across Europe, Asia and America took such drastic lockdown action on a whim?  They did so based on best advice.  The government has not got everything right and that will come out in any post virus review.  Regardless, over 35,000 people (likely more) in the UK have died.  Ignoring current advice that may lead to a second wave and more deaths is inexcusable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...