More redundancies. Where are you SMISA?

glen

Apologies, the link to the article is broken. Here’s the transcription.

Labour leader reported for Conflict of Interests

Posted on May 8, 2013 by KennyMac

Councillor Mark McMillan, the current leader of the Labour administration of Renfrewshire Council, has been reported to the Standards Commission for a clear breach of the councillors code of conduct. 

Councillor McMillan not only failed to declare an interest in a debate on his employer receiving a council contract, but he actually took part in the debate – declaring that, “I am happy to support this project”.

The SNP group in Renfrewshire Council were concerned about a project which came before the Economy and Jobs policy board.  This project involved using the Kibble social enterprise to clean up areas of Paisley High Street.  However there was no information on what they were meant to do, what training was involved for trainees taking part in the project and even how much trainees were to be paid.  This is in contrast to the Labour leader’s oft stated remarks that he would use procurement rules to ensure everyone working for companies employed by the council would receive the living wage.

When questioned about a number of issues relating to this project, the meeting became heated and Cllr Mark McMillan made his comment, “I am happy to support this project”.  At no stage before, during or after the debate did Councillor McMillan declare an interest in the issue despite him being employed as a public policy advisor for the Kibble – the same organisation he was happy to hand over £25,000 to for cleaning up the High Street.  The convener then closed the meeting, ruling out an SNP amendment as incompetent – even though there had been about twenty minutes discussion on the issues it raised.

At the following full council meeting on 25thApril the SNP group put forward a motion on the issue, hoping to get some of the answers that the administration refused to give at the policy board.  However, the Labour Provost struck off the motion and hurriedly closed down the meeting.  However, at the beginning of this meeting Cllr McMillan did declare a non-financial interest in the issue.  It seems he realised that he had broken the rules at the last meeting.

Councillor Kenny MacLaren (SNP – Paisley North West) and member of the Economy and Jobs board stated:

“What is the role of the Council Leader in awarding this contract to his employer?  At the policy board meeting one council officer stated that it was Kibble who approached the council seeking funding for the project – who advised them to do this, their public policy advisor?”

Directors not taking responsibility seems to be common. 

After quite confidently stating he wasn't responsible for the Ralston refurb project which doubled on original £200k estimate, Gordon Scott was asked why he wasn't involved, given his construction back ground. 

" I wasn't asked to" was his jovial reply.

Says it all sadly.  Quite happy to wear the blazer though. 

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

So let me get this correct, the Kibble looked at purchasing land adjacent to the stadium that is owned by Renfrewshire Council. The purpose of this is to provide care facilities.

So SMFC don't own the land, SMFC don't provide care facilities, SMFC aren't the funders.

How is there a conflict of interest?

If we aren't purchasing it why shouldn't the Kibble?

Unless AW had planned to build hospitality boxes on it. emoji848.png

What area around the stadium is this grant request referring to?

It has never been clear to me what land the club actually owns. 

It was my limited belief that Mr Gilmour owned the land running parallel to Ferguslie park Ave as I recall his family used to own the shop along there.

So is this the disputed land?

Who actually owns it?

Mr Gilmour/St Mirren/Renfrewshire council???

Does anyone have the official information request relating to the “disputed” issue that was discussed by Mr Wardrop?

It is my understanding that land I refer to (underneath the MGM text) is being looked at for redevelopment for housing and also a new project associated with flooding control and cycle ways with Sustrans to link up this area with a wider section of the community.

The Tannahill Road and Terrace areas are all earmarked for demolition with work under way.

There is a lot of new development in the Ferguslie Park area so I would assume that this will be reused for new housing.

The only other area that leaves is the area around Drums Ave where the Jewson text is.

E8ECA054-9BC4-4DA6-8C77-7FE181EA70B9.thumb.jpeg.45dc3cbdd1be9c9d4f38c1999221fc09.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Fast Eddie said:

Directors not taking responsibility seems to be common. 

After quite confidently stating he wasn't responsible for the Ralston refurb project which doubled on original £200k estimate, Gordon Scott was asked why he wasn't involved, given his construction back ground. 

" I wasn't asked to" was his jovial reply.

Says it all sadly.  Quite happy to wear the blazer though. 

Jovially show him the door.

6 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

It was my limited belief that Mr Gilmour owned the land running parallel to Ferguslie park Ave as I recall his family used to own the shop along there.

Who actually owns it?

Does anyone have the official information request relating to the “disputed” issue that was discussed by Mr Wardrop?

It is my understanding that land I refer to (underneath the MGM text) is being looked at for redevelopment for housing and also a new project associated with flooding control and cycle ways with Sustrans to link up this area with a wider section of the community.

The Tannahill Road and Terrace areas are all earmarked for demolition with work under way.

There is a lot of new development in the Ferguslie Park area so I would assume that this will be reused for new housing.

The only other area that leaves is the area around Drums Ave where the Jewson text is.

E8ECA054-9BC4-4DA6-8C77-7FE181EA70B9.thumb.jpeg.45dc3cbdd1be9c9d4f38c1999221fc09.jpeg

Piece of land under Recently.  Ready made carpark for supporters.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

One quick question, who, and why, appointed Tony into a position that most people would have seen him as unqualified and ill equipped to be a success? 

Who: Gordon Scott

Why: Perhaps to use a fans legend to get his money back from his original investment when the Gilmour led consortium pushed him out after he wanted to take the club on an alternative path to speculate to accumulate?

That football legend was arguably irresponsible with budgets when he took over from Alex Smith. The money spent on Wishart, Torfadon, Stickroth, Archibald, Victor, Manley, etc plunged us into debt that forced the sake of Love St.

History has a habit of repeating itself.

I don’t blame Tony Fitzpatrick for those spending sprees. I blame those responsible for not controlling the budgets. 

That blame must be held accountable by those in charge.

Our club chairman Mr Needham should resign. 

11 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

That's contrary to my information I'm afraid.

Tony was appointed because he was the cheap option, although not so cheap in the long run. 

Just chucked out my “opinion” based on how the transition from 10000hours to GLS-SMISA Buyout from old BoD came about publicly.

Then subsequently tarnished imho by bringing Kibble onboard when the fans buy out was well ahead of schedule.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Tony was appointed early in 2016 by the previous board - a few months before the SMiSA/Gordon Scott takeover plan went public.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35431468

Thanks for clarification.

Let’s be honest it was a poor decision to replace Brian Caldwell with someone with very limited experience of the role. 

3 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Who actually owns it?

If I heard Mr McMillan correctly but as mentioned elsewhere he was not clear and concise 

mumbling his way through the whole episode, no part of land had been identified but an

acreage ( not the word used) was quoted.

4 minutes ago, pod said:

It's a long walk from Erskine. 

Is that you just back home then? 😂

My point remains.

Why would Alan Wardrop or Kibble be bothered about another car park when we don’t make full use of the existing one? 

As it happens I did use to use the official car park when we first opened as I lived a distance away from the ground. 

The reason I started parking on the streets is that the exit after the game when in the official car was often unbearable due to delays due to poor stewarding. 

I don’t have a car anymore so I’m forced to walk now. I still don’t think there are any significant issues around parking compared to the old stadium in Love St. There are so many more options available in parking with just a short walk if you run late.

As an example there is a free to use car park at the Tannahill Centre front and rear that lies empty every home game. It’s a 10min walk from the ground.