More redundancies. Where are you SMISA?

glen

Was there any mention of the club money that Mr. Wardrop (I think it was him) had invested in the stock market? 

Is that still the case or has it been cashed in? If so, did it make a profit or loss? 
I'm sure i read it in the accounts, think it was £35,000 in profit when the accounts were signed off.

9 hours ago, Jeanbleu said:

Ok talk us through the benefits of the kibble tie in? For st. Mirren fc?

The appointment of Keith Lasley for a start.

I'm a busy man. If I get minute later on, I'll post a couple more.:)

But I'm sure you already know that there have been benefits, but like others choose to ignore them.

20 minutes ago, FTOF said:

But I'm sure you already know that there have been benefits, but like others choose to ignore them.

Sure if ( hugely big IF) if we see a huge improvement in our fortunes under Keith lasley , then kibble get one quarter of the credit for the board’s decision to hire him,  but there’s absolutely no rush, you take your time, then when you’re ready you can post that list eh? 

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

Keith Lasley has no financial background  whatsoever, hence us advertising  for Finance assistant , ie 2 guys to do the job Brian Caldwell did .

39 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:
Keith Lasley has no financial background  whatsoever, hence us advertising  for Finance assistant , ie 2 guys to do the job Brian Caldwell did .

What was BC's financial background?

We would never have had Thommo and Teale without his business acumen.

Without them, no 2013 cup win. 

On 1/28/2023 at 2:59 PM, Albanian Buddy said:

Thanks for clarification.

Let’s be honest it was a poor decision to replace Brian Caldwell with someone with very limited experience of the role. 

I agree. If Tony didn't have the previous connection with the club I doubt he'd have got the job.

However...

19 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Here’s a question. Why was Mr Wardrop brought onto the board by Gordon Scott in 2016? https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/14636347.gordon-scott-takes-over-the-helm-at-st-mirren/
Brought in for his financial advice you would have thought? Did he explain at the AGM why he resigned? 

...now that you've been told GLS had no involvement in appointing the previous person you blamed, you now seem to be shifting the blame on to someone he did bring into the club.

Where does this all end? Do we blame the previous board for inviting GLS to be a director in the first place and giving him a taste of what life in the boardroom was like? 

2 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

Don't think Tony had a financial background either, did we have a finance assistant then?

The argument could be made that Brian Caldwell was doing the job of more than two people given how few staff we had and that there should have been a finance assistant etc back then too. Just because we didn't have one doesn't mean we couldn't have done with one - fairly sure there have been folk at the club doing two or three different jobs at the same time over the past few years.

Edited by Stu

55 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

We would never have had Thommo and Teale without his business acumen.

Without them, no 2013 cup win. 

I think Thommo would have signed regardless but he was definitely involved in Teale coming to the club as they knew each other (were perhaps even friends) from their time at Ayr.

Whether that connection counts as business acumen is a pedantic debate I'll leave for others 😂

To be clear, I'm not criticising Brian Caldwell as I feel he did a good job.

33 minutes ago, elvis said:

Is there anywhere you can see who owns shares and how many they have.

This link should take you to the relevant document at Companies House from December 2021 (the 2022 version isn't available yet): shorturl.at/cpTV5

Out of interest, anyone know how you would go about transferring shares into a different name? No point having them registered to my dad any more.

Edited by Stu

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think Thommo would have signed regardless but he was definitely involved in Teale coming to the club as they knew each other (were perhaps even friends) from their time at Ayr.

Whether that connection counts as business acumen is a pedantic debate I'll leave for others 😂

To be clear, I'm not criticising Brian Caldwell as I feel he did a good job.

This link should take you to the relevant document at Companies House from December 2021 (the 2022 version isn't available yet): shorturl.at/cpTV5

Out of interest, anyone know how you would go about transferring shares into a different name? No point having them registered to my dad any more.

The Teale deal could not have happened without his business acumen.

Sure there was a relationship, but the deal was so complicated that few could have engineered it. 

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

BC is one of the best signings the club has made imo, I was asking waldo's about his financial background if he had any.

Takes a good salesman to sell shit. emoji6.png

I was a Commercial Manager in Construction   business  for 50 years ,now retired . As  anyone knows in the construction  business  every penny spent must be within budget but if it does need spending  savings or increased  income MUST  be found to offset  it.  

4 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

I was a Commercial Manager in Construction   business  for 50 years ,now retired . As  anyone knows in the construction  business  every penny spent must be within budget but if it does need spending  savings or increased  income MUST  be found to offset  it.  

I think most people understand the requirement to balance the books but I would suggest that running a football club has more variables than a construction business and, therefore, not as straightforward.

That's not to say there should be a carefree approach but the desire for some to make things more dramatic than they are is reaching hysteria levels.

55 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I think most people understand the requirement to balance the books but I would suggest that running a football club has more variables than a construction business and, therefore, not as straightforward.

That's not to say there should be a carefree approach but the desire for some to make things more dramatic than they are is reaching hysteria levels.

You would suggest wrong,  construction projects are complex with far more parties involved than there are in a small football club like ours.  Regulation is very strong and the price of failure is way higher, sometimes measured in lives lost or ruined.

4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:
5 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

What was BC's financial background?

I believe he had a very varied role at Barr Construction before going into football.  His vision for the club was completely achievable, would  have put us light-years ahead of similar-sized clubs and was beyond the comprehension of the board at the time.

11 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

You would suggest wrong,  construction projects are complex with far more parties involved than there are in a small football club like ours.  Regulation is very strong and the price of failure is way higher, sometimes measured in lives lost or ruined.

I would suggest you are wrong.

I've already suggested the amount of "unknowns" in running a football club, I could list some but can't be arsed, are considerable. 

The fact regulations are in place suggests very strongly, there are more known issues.

Not yours, BC's [emoji1787]

50 years as Construction Manager and 40 years as an Auditor in the construction industry. I take it you never took early retirement. [emoji1787]

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

No way ! A typical  construction project is far more complex than a football club!

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Not yours, BC's emoji1787.png

50 years as Construction Manager and 40 years as an Auditor in the construction industry. I take it you never took early retirement. emoji1787.png

I said Commercial Manager ,which included auditing accounts on large Government projects .

I would suggest you are wrong.
I've already suggested the amount of "unknowns" in running a football club, I could list some but can't be arsed, are considerable. 
The fact regulations are in place suggests very strongly, there are more known issues.
Eh, how can you list "unknowns"? [emoji848]