New Striker

1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:

So far, our signings look poor. We badly need a center back or maybe two. Mandron and Olysanya will be lucky to be in a match day squad. So need striker's. Still waiting for the striker Robinson said would be in over last weekend, which was the reason for my original post. Imo. Utter shambles. Playing Arbroath on Saturday needing to win to stay in the league Cup. Simply not good enough.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Did you copy/paste this from last season at the same time?

Just asking. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, norrie82 said:

I’d hope that we will negotiate the next three games get into the last 16 and generate some cash with a wee cup run. In the next two weeks I imagine we might see a bit of movement in and out with a striker a priority 

I like the fact that he is hopeful, let's hope it is based at least partially on facts.  A good LC run or at least a good draw in the next round, with maybe a fee of some sorts for Carson, will help us find the right striker in good time.

23 minutes ago, Warrior Saint said:

think this year we will be in a right scrap at bottom....

To be fair you said the same last year and probably the year before, not saying you are wrong but even a broken clock gets to be right sometimes.

I will wait till I see how we are going in the league before pressing the doom and gloom button

43 minutes ago, Warrior Saint said:

Priority is a left back and decent centre half. Looking at squad Taylor, Dunne, Jamieson, Mandron, Offord, Grieve, Tanser are seven players not near the level required....Baccus could be added to that if he continues like last year....its a poor disjointed looking squad....think this year we will be in a right scrap at bottom....

It's ridiculously early to gauge how good or otherwise Mandron is - 1 competitive game 🤦🤦 Is absolutely no barometer...

Sounds similar hysterical claptrap to those who called for the managers head after a couple of games last season as they lamented the loss of the managerial great who went to Aberdeen

We all know how that panned out 🤔🤔

As for the rest of your list - most are not going to feature in our starting 11 and I don't think Robbo was implying that they would 🤷🤷

I have faith in the Gaffer, not blind faith but I believe in his ability to spot something - you never get 100% hit rate , but so far he is definitely in credit 

41 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/stephen-robinson-opens-up-tough-30515081

Looks like a deals done for a forward and a lot of the young squad will be loaned out. 

Manager setting the expectation as staying in the league. He confirms what we thought - the budget is tight and he hasn't been able to get deals over the line. Overall a poorer window than last season.  

It's ridiculously early to gauge how good or otherwise Mandron is - 1 competitive game [emoji1751][emoji1751] Is absolutely no barometer...
Sounds similar hysterical claptrap to those who called for the managers head after a couple of games last season as they lamented the loss of the managerial great who went to Aberdeen
We all know how that panned out [emoji848][emoji848]
As for the rest of your list - most are not going to feature in our starting 11 and I don't think Robbo was implying that they would [emoji1745][emoji1745]
I have faith in the Gaffer, not blind faith but I believe in his ability to spot something - you never get 100% hit rate , but so far he is definitely in credit 

Mandarin has played in our league for 6 months so I think it's fair to make an assessment/opinion on that those 6 months haven't exactly been great.

The people who called for the managers head after league cup last season had good reason imo opinion Robinson had been in charge from February to August roughly 20/25 games at that point and if my memory is correct had 5 victories(2 v Relegated Dundee, 1 away at St Johnstone, 1 v Cowdenbeath 1 v Edinburgh City).

A record that would have got an Allan Stubbs or Alex Rae obviously he turned it around in a big way but this year just feels different.

We are in a 7 team league where top team gets top 6 but if we finish in top 5 we are safe from relegation while not great it has to do for this season as we definitely look weaker this time around.

Sent from my T610K using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The people who called for the managers head after league cup last season had good reason imo opinion Robinson had been in charge from February to August roughly 20/25 games at that point and if my memory is correct had 5 victories(2 v Relegated Dundee, 1 away at St Johnstone, 1 v Cowdenbeath 1 v Edinburgh City).

Most of the "people" had been after the manager from day one so it's no surprise the same old faces are at it already.

I agree the early stats were poor but he'd taken over a team that was as flat as a pancake.

I'm still not denying last weeks game against Montrose, people bringing in the Morton game really need to have a good look at themselves, was very poor and the manager has to take some of the responsibility for that. 

Robinson rightly emphasises staying in the Premier league as the basic ambition (as with any club) but a wee bit disappointed that there is no mention of staying in the top 6.  This reflects his 'tough summer' in trying to get the players he wants and also the reality of the squad he has.

Most of the "people" had been after the manager from day one so it's no surprise the same old faces are at it already.
I agree the early stats were poor but he'd taken over a team that was as flat as a pancake.
I'm still not denying last weeks game against Montrose, people bringing in the Morton game really need to have a good look at themselves, was very poor and the manager has to take some of the responsibility for that. 
I disagree he took over a team "as flat as a pancake".

The team just had a great two months(the best two months we had under Goodwin) the basis on which Cormack thought he was best man for the Aberdeen job.

The team certainly did look "flat as a pancake" in his first few months.

I'm not hitting panic button as someone pointed out we have been horrendous in League cup every year bar one since winning it.

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I disagree he took over a team "as flat as a pancake".

The team just had a great two months(the best two months we had under Goodwin) the basis on which Cormack thought he was best man for the Aberdeen job.

The team certainly did look "flat as a pancake" in his first few months.

I'm not hitting panic button as someone pointed out we have been horrendous in League cup every year bar one since winning it.

This "great two months", exactly what made them great?

You quoted the games we won in an earlier post, could you fo the same for this period? 

Last season I really enjoyed my season ticket mostly highs, mixed with some lows. But ultimately the best season I have seen and felt like I got more than good value for season ticket. 

Getting back on topic SR is right in what he's saying it's the final third that let us down and we need to got the target more. He is trying to address this now.

We have signed a creative looking player in McMeniman and hopefully the powerful striker he's added will do a job.

How many games last season did we hold on to when we should have been doubling our lead and not limping home with a one goal win. If we can make the SMISA the fortress it was last season and add a few goals to avoid the silly dropped points like the St Johnstone game we will do well. 

37 minutes ago, Jockmd said:

Robinson rightly emphasises staying in the Premier league as the basic ambition (as with any club) but a wee bit disappointed that there is no mention of staying in the top 6.  This reflects his 'tough summer' in trying to get the players he wants and also the reality of the squad he has.

Agreed. Budget looks to have been slashed from last season. Our top 6 finish has given us vertigo. We can't get quality players to sign. Ambition lowered to yo yo club status.  Shaugnessy, Brophy, Watt all gone and apart from the NI winger it's all bargain stuff coming in and all lacking fitness. We are looking at players released by Fundee and also a 4 month loan striker to replace Main. In this league budgets and strong starts to the campaign determine final league finishes - we currently look bottom 4.  More quality is required. Robinson is a good manager but this looks like a huge ask.

28 minutes ago, magnus said:

Agreed. Budget looks to have been slashed from last season. Our top 6 finish has given us vertigo. We can't get quality players to sign. Ambition lowered to yo yo club status.  Shaugnessy, Brophy, Watt all gone and apart from the NI winger it's all bargain stuff coming in and all lacking fitness. We are looking at players released by Fundee and also a 4 month loan striker to replace Main. In this league budgets and strong starts to the campaign determine final league finishes - we currently look bottom 4.  More quality is required. Robinson is a good manager but this looks like a huge ask.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12892907/transfer-news-scottish-premiership-summer-transfer-window-2023-ins-and-outs

The only team that seem to have strengthened on last season is Aberdeen when I look at transfer dealings. Dundee have had a busy window but all lower end of the budget as well.  Even the ugly sisters seem to be going backward. I don't think the money is there for any club.

Again I see it being a very tight league from 3rd (Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen) down to 10th. I suspect Livi and Dundee will really struggle.

Let's see who we get in as 8 goals more than last season makes a huge difference in this league. 

1 hour ago, exiledfan said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12892907/transfer-news-scottish-premiership-summer-transfer-window-2023-ins-and-outs

The only team that seem to have strengthened on last season is Aberdeen when I look at transfer dealings. Dundee have had a busy window but all lower end of the budget as well.  Even the ugly sisters seem to be going backward. I don't think the money is there for any club.

Again I see it being a very tight league from 3rd (Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen) down to 10th. I suspect Livi and Dundee will really struggle.

Let's see who we get in as 8 goals more than last season makes a huge difference in this league. 

I think Killie and County have strengthened also.

1 hour ago, magnus said:

Just now, magnus said:

I think Killie and County have strengthened also.

Seriously negative stuff Magnus, before a ball has been kicked in the 2023-24 league season, and with the transfer window still open for several more weeks.

I'm sure more players will leave and others will be brought in before the transfer window closes. We have a manager and a recruitment team who are hugely experienced in wheeling and dealing at the "lower" end of the market, having already brought in talented (but unknown) players from Ireland and the Southern Hemisphere. We should trust them to sort things out for this season.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Seriously negative stuff Magnus, before a ball has been kicked in the 2023-24 league season, and with the transfer window still open for several more weeks.

I'm sure more players will leave and others will be brought in before the transfer window closes. We have a manager and a recruitment team who are hugely experienced in wheeling and dealing at the "lower" end of the market, having already brought in talented (but unknown) players from Ireland and the Southern Hemisphere. We should trust them to sort things out for this season.

Yep. After many years of good and bad transfer windows this one doesnt feel good. Hope to be proven well wrong but not feeling confident.

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Mandarin has played in our league for 6 months so I think it's fair to make an assessment/opinion on that those 6 months haven't exactly been great.

A record that would have got an Allan Stubbs or Alex Rae obviously he turned it around in a big way but this year just feels different.

We are in a 7 team league where top team gets top 6 but if we finish in top 5 we are safe from relegation while not great it has to do for this season as we definitely look weaker this time around.

Just to add balance 🙅🙅🙅

Main was a bag of shite everywhere he had been  until Robbo sorted him out last season

So, opinions on Mandron at his last club mean feck all and it's what he does here with the new manager that are relevant 

12 minutes ago, CraigyBoy said:

Just to add balance 🙅🙅🙅

Main was a bag of shite everywhere he had been  until Robbo sorted him out last season

So, opinions on Mandron at his last club mean feck all and it's what he does here with the new manager that are relevant 

I’m in your camp. Let’s see what Robinson can get out of him but he needs his fitness level upped asap I for one am not writing him off.

This "great two months", exactly what made them great?
You quoted the games we won in an earlier post, could you fo the same for this period? 
The 2 months prior to Goodwin/Robinson swap we played 11 matches (9 League & 2 Cup).

We won 6 including Dundee Utd, Aberdeen & Hibs.
We drew 4 including v Celtic our only defeat coming at Ibrox, so yeah I would say only losing 1 from 11 including playing 5 of biggest teams in country is great by our standards.

Just to add balance [emoji135][emoji135][emoji135]
To add further balance if he was "a bag of shite everywhere" how did he end up at 3rd biggest team in Scotland then???

I still say that if the guy has played in our league for 6 months we are entitled to gather an opinion on whether we think he's a good signing or not.

The same people saying we have to wait until he's played for Saints to form an opinion are same people that had meltdowns at prospect of Doidge or Fletcher being our mysterious striker.