Hibernian v St Mirren Scottish League Cup Quarter Final 27/9/23

shull

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

And that’s that. Extremely poor defending cost us today. Complete lack of composure in the second half allowed Hibs to run rampant.

Disappointing as it’s not been in the playbook this season. 

Just back from the game.

Not just poor defending. We stood off Hibs For most of the game allowing them to grow in confidence. Still we created the best two chances od the first half. We were sat right at the front so it was hard to tell but we couldn't believe Olusanya didn't hit the target and we scored against the run of play. After Hibs scored their second and we eventually made some substitutions we started to press from the front and that's where we get the equalizer. A fantastic strike from young Baccus. But then we reverted to standing off them making them look like Barcefeckin'lona. I thought we were gonna steal the draw for a brief period but it wasn't to be, Best team on the night won and now we will see what sort of mentality our players have. Bounce back v Killie or fold. Show us what you've got lads.

ETA We had no problems parking. Arrived after 5.30, parked on London Road then went into the Herringbone Abbeymill for a couple of soft drinks. It turned out to be a good call as I had no issues getting out of the city after the game.

Edited by stlucifer

30 minutes ago, elvis said:

Ground hogg day.every single week it finally caught us out playing like that what the hell possess them to come out and as good as invite teams to score that's twice against Hibs now.

Er…..

Groundhog day occurs daily.  It's in the name.

Not weekly.

In the cold light of day, well, it's still dark but, anyway, I still feel more disappointed than despair.

The first half was strangely lacklustre, although it could be said that Hibs were very similar.

The 2nd half was better (and worse) in periods, the 2 quick goals were a bit of a shock then a good response to get the equaliser.

I was all set for extra time and penalties at that stage but that didn't last long after we lost another quick goal.

The last goal doesn't bother me as we had to, and did, try to get the equaliser, leaving us wide open.

So, we lost, a chance gone as I feel we had a decent chance to get to the final in this cup, at least.

8 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Just back from the game.

Not just poor defending. We stood off Hibs For most of the game allowing them to grow in confidence. Still we created the best two chances od the first half. We were sat right at the front so it was hard to tell but we couldn't believe Olusanya didn't hit the target and we scored against the run of play. After Hibs scored their second and we eventually made some substitutions we started to press from the front and that's where we get the equalizer. A fantastic strike from young Baccus. But then we reverted to standing off them making them look like Barcefeckin'lona. I thought we were gonna steal the draw for a brief period but it wasn't to be, Best team on the night won and now we will see what sort of mentality our players have. Bounce back v Killie or fold. Show us what you've got lads.

ETA We had no problems parking. Arrived after 5.30, parked on London Road then went into the Herringbone Abbeymill for a couple of soft drinks. It turned out to be a good call as I had no issues getting out of the city after the game.

We seem to always struggle second half, particularly at home. Surely we ought to beat Killie at last on Saturday?. Can’t make the game but will be hoping for the three points. 

10 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Just back from the game.

All agreed

Hibs were faster and played with more intent, our players rarely got a second on the ball without challenge and for parts of the game there seemed to be more of them than us on the pitch.  I think Saturday's efforts left the team looking tired from the start, which is a worry.  Strain, Olusanya, Kiltie and others wilted badly in the second half.  Boyd-Munce and Mandron were both shattered a while before the substitutions.  Add to that, we seemed to be benching players in order to take a tight scoreline into the last part of the game, maybe it would be better to start with your strongest line-up and then take players off if they are tiring rather than trying to steal it.

I hope the coaching staff learn from this, we dont seem to have the fitness to play with the intensity we normally do for more than a few games and it'svery like last season, we simply don't have that kind of squad.  On the plus side, Small really looked the part when he came on, maybe it would have been a different game if he had started and dragged a few defenders wide to give more space to the strikers.

Robinson might well have prioritised the league over the cup knowing the above.  Two big games in the offing to stay top 2 or three so let's hope everyone is ready for the next few weeks.  Most players will get an international week break soon so if we can hang on, regroup and then get some players back from injury the run-in to Christmas looks good

Positives from last night...

We scored 2 good goals

First half we put up a decent defensive performance

Another solid performance from Hemming 

Baccus made a big difference when he came on.

Other than the above, everything else ranged from bang average to utter dugshite.

Let's hope for a return to form on Saturday.

2 hours ago, shull said:

The above dude is on the Webmaster Hotline to make a report about a St Mirren fan having an alternative opinion.

He is the BAN MAN and loves it.

Well i am 1 for 1.... your just a harmless fool...start some threads and give us peace....maybe Neilson Road Lawnmowers Association need a mention...

17 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Well i am 1 for 1.... your just a harmless fool...start some threads and give us peace....maybe Neilson Road Lawnmowers Association need a mention...

So harmless that I can trigger you and your wee chum very easily.

Cry to the Webmaster