Gary Harkins Signs 2 Year Deal

he did it twice? I thought I was just once but for a prolonged time. I think when Goodwin was first moved into the back 4 Danny's decision was forced upon him by a suspension to Mair or Cheesey and was vindicated as it put an end to a run of 6 losses on the trot, and he played there during the cup semi and final. It worked in the second half of last season.

His big mistake was not putting Goodwin back into midfield this season earlier.

Imo the big problem with Goodwin being in defence is that he is missed in the midfield not that he's bad in the back 4.

However the point being made about Danny moving Goodwin into midfield is fair as Billy Reid had been playing him at right back, so Danny had originally moved him.

Was moving Goodwin to CH a success - we didn't have a great run of form in the league, we dropped to 11th in the league when Ross County beat us in January and that's where we finished! In the two LC games mentioned we lost two goals and won due to scoring three (statin' the bleedin' obvious), the point I'm trying to make is that we were pretty ropey defensively during periods of both games.

Was moving Goodwin to CH a success - we didn't have a great run of form in the league, we dropped to 11th in the league when Ross County beat us in January and that's where we finished! In the two LC games mentioned we lost two goals and won due to scoring three (statin' the bleedin' obvious), the point I'm trying to make is that we were pretty ropey defensively during periods of both games.

we have been ropey in defence for a while yet we haven't signed a centre half for about 3 year? how does that work exactly?

we have been ropey in defence for a while yet we haven't signed a centre half for about 3 year? how does that work exactly?

Wouldn't disagree - I just don't think that Goodwin at CH was ever particularly effective.

Moving on, slightly, any CH coming in has got to be a first pick else getting rid of Mair is pointless. My main worry is that with the deadline approaching we will repeat our August performance and snap up someone at random who will play himself straight out of contention.

Wouldn't disagree - I just don't think that Goodwin at CH was ever particularly effective.

Moving on, slightly, any CH coming in has got to be a first pick else getting rid of Mair is pointless. My main worry is that with the deadline approaching we will repeat our August performance and snap up someone at random who will play himself straight out of contention.

yip I agree with all of that, any signing coming in now should really be coming in to be 1st pick if not then don't sign them atall

yip I agree with all of that, any signing coming in now should really be coming in to be 1st pick if not then don't sign them atall

Unfortunately that may no longer be an option - we have struggled to field 7 substitutes over the last few games and I doubt we can afford to risk playing the remainder of the season with just McAusland & McGregor as first pick CH's. My worry as I've mentioned a few times is that any incoming players will not improve the quality of our starting 11. Letting Mair go without having a suitable replacement lined up was an act of folly.

Regarding Harkins this scenario was almost inevitable - he couldn't be fitted into the same team as McGowan effectively and so one of them had to go, taken in isolation getting him loaned out to a club like Oldham rates as one of the better bits of business Lennon has done this season.

A much lower level. Try watching it.

Living in Gillingham, I get to watch it quite often.

Take away Celtic, and there isn't a huge difference between the two leagues. The average attendences are about the same (not counting Celtic again). Gillingham are a side that, year on year, are either near the top of league 2 or in a relegation battle in league 1. Yet they get about one and a half times the average attendence that we do and have no local derbies (no other side within about 30 miles), so they have more money available for players and a much bigger squad than us. In a 2 leg game between us and Gillingham, I think we'd probably draw at home and lose by a couple of goals away.

Hopefully though Oldham are skint so I would doubt it.

Maybe not Oldham but if he continues to play well he may attract attention from othe clubs in the league that do have money. Even if it winds up that we tear up his contract and get him off the books, it would work out well for us.

there was a lot of people wanting rid of Gary Teale after his first season, I remember thinking when the Sevco rumours were going around that it wouldn't really matter if he'd left.

I was bemused by that tbh, gary teale has always been a decent player for us

Living in Gillingham, I get to watch it quite often.

Take away Celtic, and there isn't a huge difference between the two leagues. The average attendences are about the same (not counting Celtic again). Gillingham are a side that, year on year, are either near the top of league 2 or in a relegation battle in league 1. Yet they get about one and a half times the average attendence that we do and have no local derbies (no other side within about 30 miles), so they have more money available for players and a much bigger squad than us. In a 2 leg game between us and Gillingham, I think we'd probably draw at home and lose by a couple of goals away.

Gillingham would defo win the spl

Edited by Simon_Towel

Lower level are you sure the league Leigh Griffiths can't get a game in and the same team Aberdeen have just signed adam Rooney from who was deemed not good enough.

Leigh Griffiths was their top scorer but wants to now move on to a bigger team.

Your Rooney point is invalid as harkins wasn't good enough for us.

Also Rooney needs decent service to score goals and he'll get that at aberdeen.

I was bemused by that tbh, gary teale has always been a decent player for us

I remember him getting booed (not by me) onto the park etc, there will be a thread in the speculation forum about the supposed transfer to Sevco and most people were pretty much of the opinion if he goes it will free up a good wage and not hit our playing squad too negatively, it was at the time when we generally thought we'd get replacements for the players we were letting go. In his 2nd season he was like a new player.

I remember him getting booed (not by me) onto the park etc, there will be a thread in the speculation forum about the supposed transfer to Sevco and most people were pretty much of the opinion if he goes it will free up a good wage and not hit our playing squad too negatively, it was at the time when we generally thought we'd get replacements for the players we were letting go. In his 2nd season he was like a new player.

There were considerable negativity against Teale on this forum, he became an immediate target for certain sections of the "support".

I'm sure they know who they are.

Edited by faraway saint

quote name="Herdo" post="1148747" timestamp="1390854243"]

Maybe not Oldham but if he continues to play well he may attract attention from othe clubs in the league that do have money. Even if it winds up that we tear up his contract and get him off the books, it would work out well for us.

If he continues to play well then that would perhaps suggest he is playing for a manager that uses a system which utilises Harkins abilities more effectively than we were able to. In saying that, he played left wing on Saturday.

With no guarantee that DL will still be in charge come pre-season and a high likelihood that Gowser will not be here for the new season, I would say that it is possible Harkins could still have a successful future with us.

quote name="Herdo" post="1148747" timestamp="1390854243"]

If he continues to play well then that would perhaps suggest he is playing for a manager that uses a system which utilises Harkins abilities more effectively than we were able to. In saying that, he played left wing on Saturday.

With no guarantee that DL will still be in charge come pre-season and a high likelihood that Gowser will not be here for the new season, I would say that it is possible Harkins could still have a successful future with us.

Have I missed something again ?

Is there a queue of clubs waiting to sign a player who only needs to fart in the wrong location to end up in the clink ?

Have I missed something again ?

Is there a queue of clubs waiting to sign a player who only needs to fart in the wrong location to end up in the clink ?

Ok, I should have wrote, - in my opinion there is a high likelihood.......

I doubt there will be no clubs willing to take a chance on him in the summer.

Aye hes been a lot more consistent but the abuse he was getting is what bemused me, he was never that bad!