Adam Campbell Tonight

GMBB

There hasn't been many strikers as young as that coming up on loan from the Premier League in recent years.

Stokes was only 18 when he was thumping them in for Falkirk back in 2007, and Campbell seems like a better prospect too.

What's the Premier League got to do with it? There's plenty of 18 year old Scottish strikers too.

Stokes was the last 18 year old striker to have a decent season in the SPL, and that was 7 years ago. That's the kind of regularity strikers of that age who are talented and mature enough to perform consistently at this level come around.

Newton and Dummett were both 21 when they came here, this lad is 18. If Campbell was in his 20's it would be different of course, but relying on a kid who's turned 18 this year to solve our problems up front is really pushing it.

What's the Premier League got to do with it? There's plenty of 18 year old Scottish strikers too.

Stokes was the last 18 year old striker to have a decent season in the SPL, and that was 7 years ago. That's the kind of regularity strikers of that age who are talented and mature enough to perform consistently at this level come around.

Newton and Dummett were both 21 when they came here, this lad is 18. If Campbell was in his 20's it would be different of course, but relying on a kid who's turned 18 this year to solve our problems up front is really pushing it.

Well, for a start, the young Premier League players are generally much higher quality than SPL ones.

Campbell is rated much higher than Dummett/Newton and he's one of the best young prospects in British football. We'd be crazy not to take him. Stokes was the last 18 year old striker from the Premier League to be given a proper chance in the SPL, scored 14 in 16 games.

Well, for a start, the young Premier League players are generally much higher quality than SPL ones.

Campbell is rated much higher than Dummett/Newton and he's one of the best young prospects in British football. We'd be crazy not to take him. Stokes was the last 18 year old striker from the Premier League to be given a proper chance in the SPL, scored 14 in 16 games.

I'm not just talking about Premier League players. I'm talking about every single 18 year old striker to have played in the SPL since 2005. None of them have succeeded. Guys like Goodwillie, Russell, Griffiths, ... All guys who have since been capped for Scotland and earned moves to England. None of them were good enough for the SPL when they were 18. Maybe this guy will turn out to be a better player than all of them, no one knows, there's certainly not many strikers who are good enough to play at such a high level when they are so young.

I'm not saying we shouldn't take him if offered him. It's worth a go, worst case scenario he bangs in a few for our u20's. My point is if he doesn't come it's hardly a disaster. I'm sure we'll get another striker in, one who is a proven goal scorer at senior level, something which Campbell isn't.

I'm not just talking about Premier League players. I'm talking about every single 18 year old striker to have played in the SPL since 2005. None of them have succeeded. Guys like Goodwillie, Russell, Griffiths, ... All guys who have since been capped for Scotland and earned moves to England. None of them were good enough for the SPL when they were 18. Maybe this guy will turn out to be a better player than all of them, no one knows, there's certainly not many strikers who are good enough to play at such a high level when they are so young.

I'm not saying we shouldn't take him if offered him. It's worth a go, worst case scenario he bangs in a few for our u20's. My point is if he doesn't come it's hardly a disaster. I'm sure we'll get another striker in, one who is a proven goal scorer at senior level, something which Campbell isn't.

You are missing the point completely.

None of those players had the same potential as Campbell has, people have even labelled him as the next Wayne Rooney. Now, that means nothing at this stage as he's yet to be given many opportunities at first team level. Alan Pardew said that he's 'quite possibly the best finisher at Newcastle United'. There's a reason why he's being courted by Championship clubs for a loan, he's already a good player and has the same experience as Newton had prior to joining us ie; nothing.

On top of that, we won't be paying a huge contribution towards his wages, our Newcastle freebies are working well and Campbell could be the best one yet if we managed to get him in. I don't just want him to come in and boost our striking options for next to nothing, I don't want to be saying in ten years time "we almost signed Adam Campbell back in 2013".

As John McGinn, Conor Newton and a few other 2013 League Cup legends will tell you; experience is overrated.

None of those players had the same potential as Campbell has, people have even labelled him as the next Wayne Rooney. Now, that means nothing at this stage as he's yet to be given many opportunities at first team level. Alan Pardew said that he's 'quite possibly the best finisher at Newcastle United'. There's a reason why he's being courted by Championship clubs for a loan, he's already a good player and has the same experience as Newton had prior to joining us ie; nothing.

On top of that, we won't be paying a huge contribution towards his wages, our Newcastle freebies are working well and Campbell could be the best one yet if we managed to get him in. I don't just want him to come in and boost our striking options for next to nothing, I don't want to be saying in ten years time "we almost signed Adam Campbell back in 2013".

As John McGinn, Conor Newton and a few other 2013 League Cup legends will tell you; experience is overrated.

Wayne Rooney was a full England international and a regular for Everton by the time he was Campbells age, so he's certainly not the next Rooney. If he's been courted by Championship clubs, surely he won't be coming to us?

You're acting like i'm saying i don't want him and we shouldn't have him. I've never said that or even implied it.

My point is i won't be shedding any tears on missing out on a striker who's never scored a senior goal in his career. There's hundreds of youth players who are outstanding in youth football but make no impact whatsoever in the senior game. Wasn't John Fleck the next Wayne Rooney aswell?

The fact we've been in for him for well over a month and he still isn't here now means to me he's pretty unlikely to come. He's obviously weighing up his options and sees us a last resort. If he's so highly rated, i'm sure he will have plenty of other options. Therefore i'd be surprised if we ever see him in a Saints jersey.

We move on to the next target, no tears shed. The next Isma is out there somewhere, we just need to find him punk.gif

Edited by Lex

Yep,hes such a good finisher that Pardew doesnt want him anywhere near the first team,and has such potential Pardew doesnt want him anywhere near the first team,hes a year older than Rooney and STILL pardew doesnt want him anywhere near the first team.If he was even remotely as good as you believe he would be leading the line at a championship team.

Yep,hes such a good finisher that Pardew doesnt want him anywhere near the first team,and has such potential Pardew doesnt want him anywhere near the first team,hes a year older than Rooney and STILL pardew doesnt want him anywhere near the first team.If he was even remotely as good as you believe he would be leading the line at a championship team.

Did Pardew tell you anything else .................................................

Very true,but do we just stand by forever ? this has been dragging on for ages.It would be nice to sign someone on a three year deal ,or have those days gone for us ?

We'd never be able to afford Adam Campbell. Whether he's the next Wayne Rooney or not.

Which is why I suppose Danny is spending his time trying to get players on loan.

If that's the case he won't be coming to us. If he is as good as you say he will be in the championship