Adam Campbell Tonight

GMBB

The guy st johnstone had on loan from Newcastle did well too - I would think we would have to be in the driving seat but obviously as it stands the saintees are offering a potential euro league qualifier if they get through this week which would no doubt be enticing to anyone.

From a personal viewpoint - would you rather goto a club a few miles from the countries big city or be in a wee town full of farmers? Sit tight.

The guy st johnstone had on loan from Newcastle did well too - I would think we would have to be in the driving seat but obviously as it stands the saintees are offering a potential euro league qualifier if they get through this week which would no doubt be enticing to anyone.

From a personal viewpoint - would you rather goto a club a few miles from the countries big city or be in a wee town full of farmers? Sit tight.

Yes , Newcastle were delighted with Abeid's progress at the fakes , he's away on a season long loan to Paanathanaikos now and Newcastle see him as a potential first teamer next season !

Relying on loan deals was and remains a high risk strategy, and if it blows up in our faces, no-one should be remotely surprised.

It is, but it paid off big time last season. We wouldn't have won the cup without Goncalves, Newton and Dummett.

It shouldn't be our only strategy, though. Presumably DL genuinely believes that the way forward is to bring through young players like Reilly, Brady, Kelly and others now, so that they are a bit more seasoned come the business end of the season and can be supplemented by two or three careful additions, including loans, in January to carry us home this season. If it works, we could have a really promising side in 12 months or so.

Amongst these are goalkeepers (Cornell, Dilo, Hughes) , defenders (Kelly, Naismith, Yaqub) and strikers (Reilly, Brady and, at a pinch Dillon). If even one in three of these guys pan out, we'll have addressed most of our problem positions.

The flaw in all this is that he isn't actually giving players like Brady, Kelly, Naismith, Yaqub and Dillon a start, or in some cases, even a touch of the ball. If the strategy is to play young players - then play them and let's see. If it isn't, then bring other more experienced players in to give us some depth. At the moment it is neither one nor the other.

Edited by AllyM

In fact, the more I think about it, developing our young players is our only plausible strategy unless we find big money from somewhere (McGinn and McLean transfers?).

Our squad is threadbare enough at the moment, but it is hard to imagine many of Thompson, Teale, Goodwin, Mair, McGregor, Van Zanten, Barron and McGowan being around this time next year (for lots of different reasons). And we'll have trouble holding McLean and McGinn, too, if they develop as planned.

Whatever happens, we'll have a full scale rebuilding job on our hands next season. We need some of our young players to break through this season.

If he goes to St Johnstone then there's got to be some serious questions asked about this alleged 'affiliation' with Newcastle and the bargaining skills of DL and the board (or whoever deals with getting loanees in). St Johnstone are a team of equal stature to us playing in the same league, the only advantage you could see is that they may qualify for the Europa League. If the fact that Dummet and Newton did so well here and had so many good things to say about the club doesn't help us get other young Newcastle players in then there's really not an affiliation.

has anyone ever said there is official links/affiliation between the clubs? I thought the Dummett and Newton deals were engineered by their agent Spencer Downey?

It is, but it paid off big time last season. We wouldn't have won the cup without Goncalves, Newton and Dummett.

It shouldn't be our only strategy, though. Presumably DL genuinely believes that the way forward is to bring through young players like Reilly, Brady, Kelly and others now, so that they are a bit more seasoned come the business end of the season and can be supplemented by two or three careful additions, including loans, in January to carry us home this season. If it works, we could have a really promising side in 12 months or so.

Amongst these are goalkeepers (Cornell, Dilo, Hughes) , defenders (Kelly, Naismith, Yaqub) and strikers (Reilly, Brady and, at a pinch Dillon). If even one in three of these guys pan out, we'll have addressed most of our problem positions.

The flaw in all this is that he isn't actually giving players like Brady, Kelly, Naismith, Yaqub and Dillon a start, or in some cases, even a touch of the ball. If the strategy is to play young players - then play them and let's see. If it isn't, then bring other more experienced players in to give us some depth. At the moment it is neither one nor the other.

My point was that we shouldn't be relying on these deals coming off at this late stage.

I think there has been an error of judgement somewhere within the club.

I was 100% confident that we would have at least one solid striking option on place by now to compliment Thompson. Perhaps the biggest error of judgement lies at my door.

Fuxake, outside the biggest teams in the world - Real Madrid, Man Utd, etc - does anyone do a protracted transfer saga like St Mirren?

Stevie Thompson was on his way to us for years. We seemed to be after Carey for ages two summers ago. The Aaron Mooy thing was a joke - and it stayed a joke after he signed (goal against Rangers aside).

I think we all owe what little sanity we're left with to Gowser for just signing up so quickly at the end of the season.

Fuxake, outside the biggest teams in the world - Real Madrid, Man Utd, etc - does anyone do a protracted transfer saga like St Mirren?

Stevie Thompson was on his way to us for years. We seemed to be after Carey for ages two summers ago. The Aaron Mooy thing was a joke - and it stayed a joke after he signed (goal against Rangers aside).

I think we all owe what little sanity we're left with to Gowser for just signing up so quickly at the end of the season.

Don't forget Roy Dayan (sp?), Ian Harte, and Alan Gow....

This happens to some extent with all clubs (Ritche Brittain springs immediately to mind), but it is worrying that we're in this position with such a thin squad, and when the season has already kicked off.

Edited by Drew

Don't forget Roy Dayan (sp?), Ian Harte, and Alan Gow....

This happens to some extent with all clubs (Ritche Brittain springs immediately to mind), but it is worrying that we're in this position with such a thin squad, and when the season has already kicked off.

Remember the Rankin thread on P&B?!

My point was that we shouldn't be relying on these deals coming off at this late stage.

I think there has been an error of judgement somewhere within the club.

I was 100% confident that we would have at least one solid striking option on place by now to compliment Thompson. Perhaps the biggest error of judgement lies at my door.

It would appear that I was overly optimistic too.sad.png

If Campbell picked St. Johnstone, I could understand why. They're still in Europe (mind you, he obviously hasn't been registered to play for them in Europe yet - I dunno when he'd be able to play for them) & they will likely finish higher up the table than us like they have the last few seasons.

I know we won a major trophy last season, but as it was the only major trophy we've won in his lifetime, it's probably not unreasonable to say it's unlikely we'll repeat that this season.

The big advantage of us is that you'd think he'd play almost every week for us. St. Johnstone have more strikers to pick from, although with him being on the fringes of the Newcastle first team, chances are that he's better than all of them.

The problem is - are any of these players good enough to be first-team regulars in the Scottish Prem? Not to mention good enough to progress us up the league? Or good enough that any other team will want to come in and pay top dollar for them?

Considering they've played a handful of first-team games among them, pre-season or otherwise (and most of them have been by Reilly so far), you have to question if our much-lauded youth development really is as good as we make it out to be.

When was the last time we produced a striker who can score goals at this level? Or a goalkeeper? The last defender we produced was Marc McAusland, who has progressed well since he came back here but it took him a fair while to get going - and he is part of a very leaky defence, so you do have to question even if he is that good (*waits for barrage of anti-McAusland accusations*).

In recent years, we've produced perhaps two sellable players ourselves (if I remember correctly): Stephen McGinn and Simon Lappin. Our next two 'hottest' prospects are very much in the mould of those two players. We seem to like producing central/left-sided midfielders, but a football team has 11 different positions to fill.

If we are going to rely on bringing our own youngsters through, we have a lot of work to do. So, until such times as we have enough young prospects who are good enough to be first-team regulars, surely our signing policy must look to those who are ready to step in and do a job at this level. Like you say, unfortunately, we don't seem to be doing either.

The one thing we have over St Johnstone is if the lad goes there he will be playing with other young strikers such as May & Hasselbaink. The selling point may be he would learn more playing with Thompson, or we could spend some money on Kenny Miller if he's still club less.

Rangers offered him a deal but he knocked it back and signed another 6 months deal in the MLS.

Edited by linwood buddie

If the loan deals fall through and we need to sign players ,which will all be free agents ,we basically get who the other clubs don't want and the closer to the end of the window ,the closer to the bottom of the barrel . We all know that we will not pay transfer fee's ,like many other clubs .

Hopefully on Wedneday at the Gretna game danny will have some trialists at the ready before the Killie game