Fao The Board - Lennon Must Go Threads - Merged

Firstly, just to be clear, I wasn't actually embarassed on the night, as I was on the terracing behind goals at the Love Street end that night and, to be honest, was unware of any racist abuse or even booing more than normal. My memory is also very vague from those days, but I'm sure I remember it being reported next day in the Daily Oldfirm that Gullit had been spat on as he came out for the second half. That did mortify me and I didn't want to believe it. However, a few days later, a mate who had been in the Enclosure below the Main Stand at the Feyenoord game told me people were leaning over railings and spitting on him in the tunnel.

As I said, my memory of the night is vague, but I also don't remember us "being all over them" in the second half, though I did think we gave a good account of ourselves, considering their line up. I do remember being amazed at how good Cruyff was despite being well into his 30's.

I do remember being amazed at how good Cruyff was despite being well into his 30's.

He was 36 and it was his last season as a player.

He was good alright. He played in all but 1 of Feyenoord's games that season and scored 11 goals. As I mentioned before, Feyenoord won the Dutch league and cup double and Cruyff was the Dutch Player of the Year.

He had apparently not been offered a contract by Ajax at the end of the previous season and so joined Feyenoord out of spite. What a way to stick the boot into them at Feyenoord!

Edited by Isabella Duke

Firstly, just to be clear, I wasn't actually embarassed on the night, as I was on the terracing behind goals at the Love Street end that night and, to be honest, was unware of any racist abuse or even booing more than normal. My memory is also very vague from those days, but I'm sure I remember it being reported next day in the Daily Oldfirm that Gullit had been spat on as he came out for the second half. That did mortify me and I didn't want to believe it. However, a few days later, a mate who had been in the Enclosure below the Main Stand at the Feyenoord game told me people were leaning over railings and spitting on him in the tunnel.

As I said, my memory of the night is vague, but I also don't remember us "being all over them" in the second half, though I did think we gave a good account of ourselves, considering their line up. I do remember being amazed at how good Cruyff was despite being well into his 30's.

Interesting, I was in the North Bank and didn't hear or see any treatment that I would have classed as racist and felt Gullit was playing the Ali G card but fair enough maybe it was a bad night for the club in more ways than one.

As for the match I remember the goal and the injustice we felt at it being allowed to stand, how classy Cruyff was and their fans at the edge of the match - I suppose I'll have to add your mates recollections to the list now. thumbdown.gif

He was 36 and it was his last season as a player.

He was good alright. He played in all but 1 of Feyenoord's games that season and scored 11 goals. As I mentioned before, Feyenoord won the Dutch league and cup double and Cruyff was the Dutch Player of the Year.

He had apparently not been offered a contract by Ajax at the end of the previous season and so joined Feyenoord out of spite. What a way to stick the boot into them at Feyenoord!

An abrasive character at times, I remember him referring to this and saying something along the lines of "if you're going to be awkward then you have to be good" - well he was and then some!

Edited by Bud the Baker

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pot-bellied over forty buffoon, IMOtongue.png

I know you're having a light hearted dig Drew. But honestly, its a bit of comedy from shull. It's in terms from a bygone era, in reference to a bygone era, its done to make folk laugh.

If Murray Street is too young, or too naive to understand the woosh factor, then he shouldn't feel qualified enough to comment.

He probably thinks the woosh factor should be hosted by Louis Walsh! It's a gag from shull, take it in the spirit it was it was intended. There's enough conflict without going looking for it.

Edited by Jumbo Whiffy

It was some Feyenoord side we faced that night.

They won the Dutch League & Cup double that season and Johan Cryuff won the Dutch Player of the Year in his last season.

They only managed to beat us at Love Street via a last minute own goal IIRC.

I remember that night like it was yesterday . cruyff was all over the park . Once he picked up the ball in the right back position . played a pass and seconds later was over on the left wing to receive it from another player . As you say feyenoord had some team that night .

I know you're having a light hearted dig Drew. But honestly, its a bit of comedy from shull. It's in terms from a bygone era, in reference to a bygone era, its done to make folk laugh.

If Murray Street is too young, or too naive to understand the woosh factor, then he shouldn't feel qualified enough to comment.

He probably thinks the woosh factor should be hosted by Louis Walsh! It's a gag from shull, take it in the spirit it was it was intended. There's enough conflict without going looking for it.

♫♫We'll go wherever you may go cause we are the Northbank Agaro ♫♫ laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png That song would strike fear in to Assad. laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

Guys in their 40s and 50s embarrassing themselves singing such a song when they couldn't aggravate a fùckin chip poke. laugh.png

♫♫We'll go wherever you may go cause we are the Northbank Agaro ♫♫ laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png That song would strike fear in to Assad. laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

Guys in their 40s and 50s embarrassing themselves singing such a song when they couldn't aggravate a fùckin chip poke. laugh.png

Congratulations on your self inflicted double woosh.

Perhaps you could start a new thread on the topic you're discussing that no one else is. That'll allow you to see if anyone is actually interested.

Aggravate a chip poke?

What does that even mean?

I mean - saying a striker can't hit a cows arse with a banjo makes sense.

So does shouting at a bloke with dentures - I've seen mair teeth on a chicken's beak.

Aggravating a chip poke though? WTF? How do you even go about doing that?

My memories of the return leg (those which I can repeat on this forum anyway whistling.gif ) was:

1. It was like being in the Land of The Giants.

2. Being chatted up by a couple of real Dutch beauties who were sitting with the Saints fans. Turns out they were only interested to see if we were going to fight the home fans on the way out.

3. The Feyenoord fans in the tier above us bizzarly shouting 'Celtic' at us throughout the match.

4. being scudded on the top of the head in the 2nd half by a stone (thrown or dropped from above, which bounced straight up around 20ft in the air.

5. The mad monk and their Centre-Half (?) being sent off for sticking the head on each other.

6. Saints playing rather well, despite being beat.

7. There were hunners if no thoosans (I may have been seeing double) of their 'aggro' singing and heading straight for us as we came out the stadium. If I desremember correctly, there was a couple of English lads (maybe army?) who really relished this and led a mini charge at them and they ran away, or at least stopped them in their tracks. Can anybuddie confirm this?

Edited by Vambo57

Aggravate a chip poke?

What does that even mean?

I mean - saying a striker can't hit a cows arse with a banjo makes sense.

So does shouting at a bloke with dentures - I've seen mair teeth on a chicken's beak.

Aggravating a chip poke though? WTF? How do you even go about doing that?

♫♫We'll go wherever you may go cause we are the Northbank Agaro ♫♫ laugh.png laugh.png

are you in the 'crazy' northbank agaro?

Danny Lennon is about as much use as tits on a bull, how's that?

My memories of the return leg (those which I can repeat on this forum anyway whistling.gif ) was:

1. It was like being in the Land of The Giants.

2. Being chatted up by a couple of real Dutch beauties who were sitting with the Saints fans. Turns out they were only interested to see if we were going to fight the home fans on the way out.

3. The Feyenoord fans in the tier above us bizzarly shouting 'Celtic' at us throughout the match.

4. being scudded on the top of the head in the 2nd half by a stone (thrown or dropped from above, which bounced straight up around 20ft in the air.

5. The mad monk and their Centre-Half (?) being sent off for sticking the head on each other.

6. Saints playing rather well, despite being beat.

7. There were hunners if no thoosans (I may have been seeing double) of their 'aggro' singing and heading straight for us as we came out the stadium. If I desremember correctly, there was a couple of English lads (maybe army?) who really relished this and led a mini charge at them and they ran away, or at least stopped them in their tracks. Can anybuddie confirm this?

Kenny McDowall wasn't playing for us then.

Frank MacDougall got sent off and went down the wrong tunnel for the dressing room.