Booing Your Team, Ffs!

Drew

If you go to the pictures and the 'star' isn't giving an Oscar winning performance, do you stand up and shout "you're f*cking shite, you!" or do you just leave at the end and tell people not to waste their money going to see it?

I don't condone some the abuse that's being reported on this thread. But are you entering NSMP with the same nerves, anticipation, and adrenaline as you do when going to the showcase?

I'd hope not. A movie means f**k all. It's a bit of escapism, shite or otherwise, nowt else.

I don't condone some the abuse that's being reported on this thread. But are you entering NSMP with the same nerves, anticipation, and adrenaline as you do when going to the showcase?

I'd hope not. A movie means f**k all. It's a bit of escapism, shite or otherwise, nowt else.

Fair enough, but I still want my money's worth.

Might be fun to try it. 'Haw! Hanks... You're shite! Get it fcuking sorted Spielberg!' booooooooo!

Could be an interesting experiment.

Maybe work better with real people at the Kings or Pavilion?....."Hawl... Phantom!....aye you ya cnut ..... opera!....Your were fcukin' pish and I want that Webber prick sacked!

Edited by reborn saint

The comparison is that people claim 'I paid my money so I can say what I want'. Try it in your local Odeon.

But I'm not an Odeon fan. I wasn't taken to the Odeon by my dad as a 4 year old to see the Odeon because it's what he loved. I haven't travelled all over Scotland to see the Odeon. I haven't seen the Odeon win awards and felt part of it. I didn't go to the Odeon week in week out for years, spending loads of my money doing so. I'm not a member of the Odeon magazine. I don't have a cupboard full of Odeon programmes, collected over years of attending films at the Odeon. I don't have a framed picture of me and my mates standing outside the Odeon when it closed, because they were moving to another venue. I don't love the Odeon.

To borrow from Jules.

"...ain't no f**kin' ball park neither. It ain't the same league, it ain't even the same f**kin' sport."

Now, THAT I would've cheered at the Odeon. But I still don't love the Odeon.

Booing isn't new ,it has been around since we arrived at SMP. Before that l can remember the individual tirades aimed at wee Anxious. Wee Anxious got a lot of abuse. .

Personally , I have never booed the team but I have bolted early if l thought we were getting a tanking for f**k all. .the gubbing against Dons being the first. .

Managers come and go and Danny Boy is likely to go before Chrimbo. It is sad , Danny done us proud at times but it now seems that he has run out of ideas

TBH , as said before , there is nothing l'd like more than Danny Boy to turn it around for us but the reality is that , that is very unlikely to happen anytime soon. .

...but one thing we are not is "supporters" when we boo those wearing the stripes during a game!

Totally agree. This is from an online dictionary:

support [səˈpɔːt]

vb (tr)
1. to carry the weight of
2. to bear or withstand (pressure, weight, etc.)
3. to provide the necessities of life for (a family, person, etc.)
4. to tend to establish (a theory, statement, etc.) by providing new facts; substantiate
5. (Literature / Rhetoric) to speak in favour of (a motion)
6. to give aid or courage to
7. to give approval to (a cause, principle, etc.); subscribe to to support a political candidature
8. to endure with forbearance I will no longer support bad behaviour
9. to give strength to; maintain to support a business
10. (Performing Arts / Theatre) (tr) (in a concert) to perform earlier than (the main attraction)
11. (Performing Arts) (Performing Arts / Theatre) Films Theatre
a. to play a subordinate role to
b. to accompany (the feature) in a film programme
12. (Performing Arts / Theatre) to act or perform (a role or character)
Now some of those definitions do not relate to supporting a football club, but there are some that relate directly. None of them mention hurling abuse of any form. No doubt some may say that, "online dictionaries", are not totally reliable, but I would ask that you find me a dictionary anywhere that includes the hurling of abuse as a definition of the verb, "support".

Only yesterday?

DL has made some horrendous decisions with his teams for a long time.

A classic example was when David Barron was brought back into the team against Celtic after having not played for weeks. He was played at RB with Vanzy in front. Saints got hammered 5-0. Barron was hooked at HT.

I asked DL at a Q&A why he had brought Barron back into the side having not played for weeks (or possibly months?) - his answer - "I thought Samaras would be playing down that side and I wanted Barron in to compete." Samaras was not even in the team or on the bench.

From what I know via a certain fullback at the club is that they spent the whole "working week" drilling how to nullify Samaras, nullify him and you nullify the threat....as you say Samaras wasn't even playing.

Yip. I sit in W2, don't remember hearing anything at half time. Maybe someone else who sits down that end can confirm if I am talking bollocks or not.

If Div is who I think he is then I sit a row behind him in W2, I barely heard a peep at half time.

I booed at full time, not aimed at the players, but the managers selection and tactics. We have paid to watch that and we are being badly let down. IMO fans have every right to make known their anger/frustration.

Edited by Lanarkshire_Bud

Guest TPAFKATS

maybe take the barca approach and waiving white hankies would be better, either way it is a visible or verbal communication saying that this is not good enough.

So now we've got to carry white hankies with us - maybe I'll just get some extra napkins from the pie stall...

Guest TPAFKATS

So is football isn't it?

It's hardly life or death.

Yes it only a game. Much more important stuff going on in my life and the world generally.

It does tend to stir the emotions though and on occasion yesterday I did shout and no doubt occasionally swear. I didnt boo at the end just swiftly strolled out as I was so annoyed with MY club that had taken me from such a high less than 6 months previously.

Football is an emotional sport for many reasons and people react in different ways - some boo, some have tantrums, some make political comments, some get so emotional they have a coronary... dont recall these happening at the cinema

The personal abuse of your own team is OTT, imo, but has been there for as long as I can recall. Our club is no better or worse maybe just more noticable due to the size of the crowds.

Even the young players and those making debuts would have been subjected to fans booing and showing displeasure previously so I dont thinkits likely to have too much impact - if it has maybe they are in the wrong profession.

7/1 eh ?

If the fans raised £200K we could lump it all on Danny getting the tin tack, agree with SG to do the deed, clean up £1.6M from the bookies, give Danny his £50k handshake, give back the £200K to the fans, give the board £1.3m so we own the club and we'd still have £50k left over to have a big knees up in the dome with a free bar and dancing girls.

Job done. Who is with me comrades ?

7/1 eh ?

If the fans raised £200K we could lump it all on Danny getting the tin tack, agree with SG to do the deed, clean up £1.6M from the bookies, give Danny his £50k handshake, give back the £200K to the fans, give the board £1.3m so we own the club and we'd still have £50k left over to have a big knees up in the dome with a free bar and dancing girls.

Odds will be slashed by the day. Get on it people!

Well, if you reckon the booing is the thing that will bring about the change you (and others) crave, then I've no doubt that you'll continue doing it.

I think you are fundamentally missing my point here, however. In the meantime, I'd question whether the booing will have anything other than a negative impact on our on-field perfomances. For me, that is what is most important.

Drew,

Others don't get it.

It's like the unintelligent mother who screams at her child in the supermarket for crying and doesn't understand why the child continues to cry.

7/1 eh ?

Count me in. Where do I subscribe?

7/1 eh ?

I've PMd my credit card details Div.

Do I get me name in the credits?

I was sitting in the West stand on Saturday and there were quite a few who seemed to be willing the team to be poor just so they could spout the vitriol at the players and manager, while spending most of the first half booing every attempted move by the Buddies.

I don't understand the concept of wanting to attend a game of football, pretending to be partisan to the home side, yet spend 99.9% of the game either booing nearly every player or actively enticing others to do anything BUT support the team.

I'm actually convinced they don't watch the game as some of the comments on individual performances seem so wide of the mark.

They come with preconceptions and the targetted players could double somersault, beat ALL oppposition players with the ball seemingly tied to their feeet and nutmeg the goalkeeper while putting so much spin on the ball that it doesn't quite reach the back of the net but instead returns on it's original path and smacks the referee on the mouche at the halfway circle, yet they would claim Imrie would have hit the linesman as well!

Of course, forgetting that a few weeks previous In their opinion,, Imrie, while at Saint Mirren, was a waste of space!!!!!

Those in question have consistently slated the manager from day 1 and are now all high and mighty claiming they were right all along. The cup win was a fluke. It covered the cracks. danny hasn't made a decent signing. well. Not until the player leaves. Then Danny has let the next Rhonaldo go!

Edited by stlucifer