The Swiss : Is Club About To Be Sold ?

Lethal89

The club lack any ideas of how to engage with the public. Take yesterday for example Doors Open Day. Club was open to the public. Even on a horrible day there must have been a few thousand visitors, not all of which were football fans. There was not a single player, member of the coach staff of director present.

This was an opportunity to ignite a spark in a youngster and parent to get down to the club and feel part of it. With a little imagination and organisation they could have put the kids in to teams, created a match day experience, by putting them in the dressing room, walked them down the tunnel, gave them a chat from the manager, talked through the tactics etc. Little things like that live with children forever.

The place was soulless, it was like it is most Saturdays.

Take the court as an example the kids are taken up the court, down the cells and put in the van. They staff put on a show in an attempt to put the fear of god up the kids. And they remember it!

Take the court as an example the kids are taken up the court, down the cells and put in the van. They staff put on a show in an attempt to put the fear of god up the kids. And they remember it![/font]

St Mirren allow children into home games - that puts the shock of being thrown into a cell into perspective.

Reading through all of this thread has been interesting. The one thing for certain is that the fighting, slagging, abuse and politics seen to date would be nothing compared to what would come if a fans group did take over. So many aspects could put most people off, I actually applaud Richard etc for making the 2nd attempt.

There was a chance there to take on a well run club. Nobody would have been trying to understand debts or negotiate payment plans. It seemed to fall over due to the non-fan members, which you can understand. In Germany you get major businesses backing the clubs, it's kinda the secret ingredient that makes it all work. Here...well, where's the return? In Scotland it would need to be our fans, you could market it Internationally and get interest but have to deal with...basically idiots...and "you're not a Saint" so that again takes up time etc. As if a few hundred or even a thousand non-Saints could kybosh things...nonsense!

Typing on my tablet, so I'll cut it short and finish by saying this. A new bid could work, but it needs...

A realisation our fanbase won't jump by 1, 000

An acceptance that local businesses will want sweeteners, but that can still drive gains if we work together

A few people to admit the club isn't worth what the consortium want

The understanding that it should be a passing of a torch

A lot of hard work and patience

Reading through all of this thread has been interesting. The one thing for certain is that the fighting, slagging, abuse and politics seen to date would be nothing compared to what would come if a fans group did take over. So many aspects could put most people off, I actually applaud Richard etc for making the 2nd attempt.

There was a chance there to take on a well run club. Nobody would have been trying to understand debts or negotiate payment plans. It seemed to fall over due to the non-fan members, which you can understand. In Germany you get major businesses backing the clubs, it's kinda the secret ingredient that makes it all work. Here...well, where's the return? In Scotland it would need to be our fans, you could market it Internationally and get interest but have to deal with...basically idiots...and "you're not a Saint" so that again takes up time etc. As if a few hundred or even a thousand non-Saints could kybosh things...nonsense!

Typing on my tablet, so I'll cut it short and finish by saying this. A new bid could work, but it needs...

A realisation our fanbase won't jump by 1, 000

An acceptance that local businesses will want sweeteners, but that can still drive gains if we work together

A few people to admit the club isn't worth what the consortium want

The understanding that it should be a passing of a torch

A lot of hard work and patience

A collective delusion

A miracle

Fixed it.

Fixed it.

Well, the delusion can come from our fanbase...there's a lad called Stafford who could coordinate it.

As for the miracle, yup there lies the big one as it just won't happen. If the consortium slashed the price the fans would still in-fight this to death. If the fans had the perfect plan they still couldn't afford the price. If the club spent 200k the crowds wouldn't rise. If local companies invested nobody would use their goods. But, if an investor came along with silly money the fans would flock (well, a few hundred), a certain radio personality would suck him off and the SNP would ask him to run for election.

Edited by TsuMirren

Some people are never happy, remember the fans take over bid, it turned into a bitchfest. It is obvious that the club will be sold to some unknown investor. We had our chance and argued and squabbled and blew it.

i understand your point regarding the squabbling and the arguing - that was always going to be the case, and would be again if the subject ever got going again, but the bid ended when the selling consortium decided that the bid was not in the best interests of the club (mainly i believe due to the fact that the fans had put up their cash but some of the corporate investors never and possibly never intended to, that would have just left fans with a debt to service ) faceless business people (who refused to be named ) were the ones who failed us in our bid in, my opinion

I too would like to know more about the political interference in the first iteration of the CIC bid. Surely, now that the whole thing is dead in the water and REA is no longer involved in an official capacity, there is no harm in providing a bit of insight into what went on and the chronology of events.

He's keeping it for his book about the bid years... 'The Final, Final, Final, Revised, Final, Definitely Final, Tweaked, Final Chapter'.

Well, the delusion can come from our fanbase...there's a lad called Stafford who could coordinate it. As for the miracle, yup there lies the big one as it just won't happen. If the consortium slashed the price the fans would still in-fight this to death. If the fans had the perfect plan they still couldn't afford the price. If the club spent 200k the crowds wouldn't rise. If local companies invested nobody would use their goods. But, if an investor came along with silly money the fans would flock (well, a few hundred), a certain radio personality would suck him off and the SNP would ask him to run for election.

laugh.png

Still have a problem with the valuations.

Just imagine for a moment the consortium going on Dragons Den looking for anything over £1M for 51% of the club. How is this asking price justified when the club barely makes a profit and attendances are static at best? The initial £2M asking price values the club at over £4M, why? Can hear Duncan Bannatyne giving it “Amoot” after about two minutes.

Clearly in the open market it is worth only what someone is willing to pay. The board is on record as saying they are tired, taken it as far as they can and run out of ideas. That was over three years ago, what must it be like now?

I respect the board and the work done over the years but in the best interests of the club they should plan a handover to new people who do have the motivation to improve things.

New blood and ideas needed, now.

Sorry I mean a new group but made up of exactly the sort of people you mention. The group IMHO needs to be single issue to avoid any baggage from the history of others but the members need to be well known and skilled whi know what they are doing and will be trustedby the community at large.

The single biggest issue we faced was being completely unknown in the community we were trying to engage with and for some that was an insurmountable problem.

You mean a United People's Front?

In the end I was glad the CiC failed. It became tiresome coming on here reading the self-professed would be directors and people in the know make comments about how the club should be run and wax lyrically about the stuff they know but could not tell others. At times it was like reading the politics of a golf club.

What should be remembered is that in all clubs, organisations and businesses where you are given a position of responsibility then you are a custodian of said club, organisation and business. Your duty is to ensure that at the end of your tenure you have done your utmost best to leave it in a better position than when you arrived.

There were too many people with a self-interest wanting to get involved forgetting that it was first and foremost a business that need business people to run it and secondly fans people to take care of the fans perspective. After all it’s the fans that are the funders of the business.

That is a very fair comment.

The biggest issue which concerned me was the debt incurred in buying out the club which the club would have had to pay back.

That and the fact that it all looked complicated as hell.

A soon as I smell complication on something as simple as running a football club, my instinct is to be very cautious indeed.

Time to hold onto your hats, folks. It seems this sale is very much on the cards. I'm not at all sure what to think about this, but very much hope that a woeful start to the season won't seem like a trifling matter when we look back on this period of the club's history (at the risk of coming across a tad melodramatic).

Edited by Drew

Time to hold onto your hats, folks. It seems this sale is very much on the cards. I'm not at all sure what to think about this, but very much hope that a woeful start to the season won't seem like a trifling matter when we look back on this period of the club's history (at the risk of coming across a tad melodramatic).

You heard an update on what's going down Drew ?

You heard an update on what's going down Drew ?

Just some confirmation that it seems a genuine story, and that it is at an advanced stage.

I wouldn't put my house on it yet, but no reason to think it isn't accurate Billy.

I'm not claiming to be in the know, simply passing on what I understand to be reliable information. I'm inclined to think it is imminent, but we'll see, I suppose.

Apologies in advance if this is yet more pish.

Edited by Drew

Just some confirmation that it seems a genuine story, and that it is at an advanced stage.

I wouldn't put my house on it yet, but no reason to think it isn't accurate Billy.

I'm not claiming to be in the know, simply passing on what I understand to be reliable information. I'm inclined to think it is imminent, but we'Lo see, I suppose.

Apologies in advance if this is yet more pish.

Just glad to hear that something might be happening, as the club seems to be drifting aimlessly at the moment !

Who are these people?

They urnae' Smurrrnn fans, are they?

What's in it for them?

Where have they been hiding for three years?

What about the club assets?

What about the minority shareholders?

What are their plans?

Will they put us in debt?

Are they going to spend money we don't have?

What about the fan council and SMiSA?

What about Danny Lennon?

What about the stadium void?

What about....

We need answers.

Who are these people?

What's in it for them?

What are their plans?

What about Danny Lennon?

What about....

We need answers.

I'm still confident that SG won't sell unless he's sure the club will remain in safe hands. If this is indeed going through then , as Drew says , hold onto your hats , and see what transpires !

Who are these people?

What's in it for them?

What are their plans?

What about Danny Lennon?

What about....

We need answers.

Answers and a clear vision as to where we are heading would allow us to regroup & move forward.

I hope all the questions you list get answered before the end of October.