St Mirren V Qots Scottish Cup Round 4 Replay

Lex

I wonder what's going on when fans get involved in discussing tactics and formation during post match analysis. We were playing Queen of The South, for God's sake, not Barcelona! They're among the strugglers in their league and we're aspiring to the top six in the SPL. It's an absolute disgrace that away from home, even on a plastic pitch and without Mcgowan, not only do we only draw, by some accounts we were lucky. I'm not a Danny knocker but bringing on Reilly with 20 minutes to go might have been OK, but not with only 20 minutes gone. Danny has to shoulder the blame for that. But what the hell happened to the rest of the team? Has the captain or none of the senior players no nous to be giving instructions and advice as the game goes on? Are we so hidebound by mathematical formations that good old fashioned common sense goes out the window? What has happened to rolling up your sleeves and getting stuck in? What has happened to dishing out a bit of welly?

If we had been playing Celtic away from home I wouldn't be saying the same. But Queen of The South? Come on! I think every single player who was in our side should hang their head in shame. And if Danny doesn't give them a bollicking, then Stewart Gilmour should. Can we still dock wages?

I wonder what's going on when fans get involved in discussing tactics and formation during post match analysis. We were playing Queen of The South, for God's sake, not Barcelona! They're among the strugglers in their league and we're aspiring to the top six in the SPL. It's an absolute disgrace.

Can we still dock wages?

Did you see the Motherwell result? Cup shocks do happen...

Talking about it being an 'absolute disgrace' etc is ridiculously over the top. You must be very easily outraged. In general the use of the word 'disgrace' is far too over used on here, usually 'disappointing' would be more apt...

As for docking the wages? Are you actually for real?

Edited by Ally

QOTS deserved a replay.

Saints have gone out to lower league opposition on more occasions that I can remember.

League form goes out the window with cup ties.

I'm sure Motherwell would love to still be in the cup - after all the last time the Steelmen won a major honour was 1991. Another year goes by despite all the money they have spent in the last 20 years.

COYS.

I bet I can remember a lot more early exits than you. I don't knock St.Mirren generally. I guarantee you won't find another post from me before now being critical. I don't care that cup shocks happen. Our team needs a kick up the arse and a bloody good shaking.

As for Ally's response, did you think I seriously wanted to dock wages? That's more Shull's department.

/\ /\ /\

Boo boy. Ha ha. I assume you are joking with this post.

During the last few weeks the young guns at St Mirren have done very well.

Perhaps DL thought that the throwing Thomas Reilly into the mix would have delivered similar results. To substitute him may have destroyed any confidence he has.

We also don't know how these guys are in training - perhaps Reilly deserved his chance over other players due to his workrate in training.

Some of it was a bit tongue in cheek but in general terms if St.Mirren are going to make consistent progress, we have to make performances like yesterday a thing of the past. The thing with Reilly didn't work yesterday but I agree the emergence of good youngsters is really encouraging. Just got to watch that we don't over-hype it though. Would you not give the players a dressing down after yesterday?

I wonder what's going on when fans get involved in discussing tactics and formation during post match analysis. We were playing Queen of The South, for God's sake, not Barcelona! They're among the strugglers in their league and we're aspiring to the top six in the SPL. It's an absolute disgrace that away from home, even on a plastic pitch and without Mcgowan, not only do we only draw, by some accounts we were lucky. I'm not a Danny knocker but bringing on Reilly with 20 minutes to go might have been OK, but not with only 20 minutes gone. Danny has to shoulder the blame for that. But what the hell happened to the rest of the team? Has the captain or none of the senior players no nous to be giving instructions and advice as the game goes on? Are we so hidebound by mathematical formations that good old fashioned common sense goes out the window? What has happened to rolling up your sleeves and getting stuck in? What has happened to dishing out a bit of welly?

If we had been playing Celtic away from home I wouldn't be saying the same. But Queen of The South? Come on! I think every single player who was in our side should hang their head in shame. And if Danny doesn't give them a bollicking, then Stewart Gilmour should. Can we still dock wages?

Is corporal punishment still banned in this country, 40 lashes each should get the message through..whistling.gif

Go on then prove it - super dooper uber fan.

However I do understand you must be feeling tired after travelling to and from Dumfries. I spent 20 years living down south and would attend as many Saints games as I could.

Perhaps a wee lie down might help you calm down after a long day travelling.

We are still in the cup - there are absolutely no givens that Saints will win the replay.

Like many Saints fans I will go to the cup replay more in hope that expectation.

I had intended to go yesterday. The return fare was £178, plus I would have had petrol on top. I didn't go because I had to come home last night and we were expecting trouble in Belfast last night. There was some but it would have been OK.

my point about games was that I started going to Love Street in the early 50's. Until I moved here permanently in 1985 I hardly missed a match apart from when I was playing on Saturdays myself. Since 1985 I confess i have only seen a couple of dozen games, most of them cup matches or league clinching stuff. Minimum travel costs of £100 plus all the other costs is a big negative.

Thats what happens when your a oneman team i dread to think how bad it will be next season without Mcgowan.

You were not in attendance yesterday. QOTS more than deserved a replay. Saints are still in the cup and so are QOTS. Both teams still could win the cup and be in Europe next year.

Let's just hope your dog does not eat your passport or you can add that to your list of excuses. Ha ha.

I don't see how they could both win it. My dogs are well behaved but my passport expired years ago and I've never got round to renewing it.

Is this a serious post? If it is you're being beyond harsh on the team.

I said before the game yesterday I'd have taken a replay, and we got one. Good result in my opinion and I will be very surprised if we don't go on to progress to the last 16. That's what cup football is all about, it's not about how you get through, it's about getting though.

How well do you remember the brutal game against Accies in the league cup last year where we needed an injury time goal to progress? Exactly.

QOTS are a dangerous side who have knocked far bigger teams than us out the cups in recent years. This factor along with the facts that they have beaten us twice already this year, we were playing on a plastic pitch and we lost our best player after 20 minutes all means a draw is good result.

I haven't studied qos cup record over the last few years but I suspect it's pretty good, especially at home. Like others on here I have witnessed my fair share of gut wrenching defeats to lower league opposition, more often when we adopt the " this is easy" approach. The replay wont be a walk in the park either. Another game undefeated in spite of losing our most influential player has to be good. We hold no divine right to beat so called weaker teams and maybe the players need to be reminded of that. Danny frequently praises the players for their work ethic. It sounds like we came up against a team with similar values which is what cup ties are generally about. We are still in it, many teams fans will be wishing they still were also.

Not at our best, after McGowan went off we lost our momentum. Thought several of our players didn't look happy with surface. Q of S looked more up for this game than Saints and that was worrying. Now that we have a 2nd chance on 10 Dec, let's make sure we apply ourselves as required. Finally, Mr Clancy was the most inconsistent ref I've seen this season.

He could and perhaps should have played him, but he chose a kid who's hardly kicked a ball in a year in his stead.

Therefore the only possible conclusion we can draw from today is:

Danny Lennon wants Gary Harkins out the football club.

Another "only possible conclusion" could be that Harkins has not proven himself in training to the manager, to be worthy of a place.

Another "only possible conclusion" could be that Harkins has not proven himself in training to the manager, to be worthy of a place.

He's one of the top earners at the club. If the manager doesn't think he's good enough to even come on as a sub anymore he needs to go in January. We can't afford to have senior players on senior wages who the manager doesn't trust at the football club.

It's very similar to the Dougie Imrie situation, and I think it will have a similar ending.

Last night if I had posted I would have been quite critical of our performance but after what happened to Motherwell and hearts just glad to still be in the hat. I think we will take care of the replay and hopefully avoid Dundee utd and Celtic. Was a great move for second goal but apart from that and Connors strike not much else to rave about. I am a big Goodwin fan but it was not his best game yesterday I really hate putting young players down but young Thomas Reilly needs to toughen up fast and get into games more if he wants to have a career as a football player. Thompson was so isolated and for a passing team I lost count of the aimless punts aimed up the park even if Thommo won the header nobody was close to pick it up. A good day out though and hopefully a few more in a good cup run.