St Mirren V Aberdeen Top League 15/2/14

shull

Our last 3 games have been Celtic away, Dundee United away and Aberdeen at home.

We've lost all 3 by 1 goal, not a disaster really.

Our big games are coming up now against the teams around us.

Ah, but the two matches before those three were against teams we should have been looking to defeat (Thistle and Hearts). Taking 1 point from a very manageable 6 was a massive failure - or disaster, if you like. Had we taken all 6, we would have been a mere 3 (or 4 when taking account of goal difference) points from the top 6, and 7 points ahead of County and Thistle as opposed to 2.

It is quite simple, we have failed to take genuine and realistic opportunities to secure safety and a decent placing in the league. We have no divine right to beat the likes of Hearts, County and Thistle, but failing to do so when it counts represents a distinct lack of progress, and someone must be answerable for this.

Ah, but the two matches before those three were against teams we should have been looking to defeat (Thistle and Hearts).  Taking 1 point from a very manageable 6 was a massive failure - or disaster, if you like.  Had we taken all 6, we would have been a mere 3 (or 4 when taking account of goal difference) points from the top 6, and 7 points ahead of County and Thistle as opposed to 2.

It is quite simple, we have failed to take genuine and realistic opportunities to secure safety and a decent placing in the league.  We have no divine right to beat the likes of Hearts, County and Thistle, but failing to do so when it counts represents a distinct lack of progress, and someone must be answerable for this.

There's no doubt that the Hearts and Thistle games were massive disappointments, but then again go back a week prior and we won at Easter Road. Was 4 points from Hibs and Hearts away and Thistle at home that bad a return? Probably about par for me, although we never got the points in the way I'd have expected.

We now have County away and Killie at home in the next fortnight with pretty much a full squad. These are the tests and these are the games that will give us not only a better idea of where we are, but of where we will be next season.

Ah, but the two matches before those three were against teams we should have been looking to defeat (Thistle and Hearts). Taking 1 point from a very manageable 6 was a massive failure - or disaster, if you like. Had we taken all 6, we would have been a mere 3 (or 4 when taking account of goal difference) points from the top 6, and 7 points ahead of County and Thistle as opposed to 2.

It is quite simple, we have failed to take genuine and realistic opportunities to secure safety and a decent placing in the league. We have no divine right to beat the likes of Hearts, County and Thistle, but failing to do so when it counts represents a distinct lack of progress, and someone must be answerable for this.

Tbh your post above sums up our continued status in the spl ......it could be applied to any season over the last seven or so years. We cannae progress...........it's endless frustration and too often turgid lame performances sprinkled with the odd gem. Three wins in a row for me would be a real sign , hell now I' d settle for two in a row, but, we are so poor I honestly would be prepared to bet we will not win back to back league games this season, a truly terrible state of affairs.

Lex. Agree to a certain extent but this Aberdeen without three key players and really we were poor. McInnes said on radio that we have around five players that would walk into any side apart from Celtic. We really are massively underachieving.

Maybe you could get McInnes to tell us who our 5 players are that could walk into his Aberdeen team - two of his rejects will be among our first picks from now until the end of the season.Can't see 5 of our current squad walking straight into a starting XI of any of the teams from Aberdeen to St Johnstone!

Maybe you could get McInnes to tell us who our 5 players are that could walk into his Aberdeen team - two of his rejects will be among our first picks from now until the end of the season.Can't see 5 of our current squad walking straight into a starting XI of any of the teams from Aberdeen to St Johnstone!

I think the sun bed kid would take Kello,McGregor,McGinn,McLean and Thompson

Just posted this on P&B:

Rooney had the best chance in the game, by a distance.

For some reason Sportscene didn't record for me tonight, but I did record the whole match yesterday.

Decided to watch the chance you referred to, and boy, is it not one of the worst decisions you've seen at a match since McGinn not getting a penalty for being taken out earlier in the half.

post-634-0-88358100-1392599416_thumb.jpg

Seriously, can anyone ever remember seeing a clearer offside decision than this not being given?

Walker's earlier comment about Logan fouling McGinn in the box and it not being a penalty, followed up by him watching the replay of this and saying "Rooney Onside" really makes me wonder if he has an Aberdeen allegiance I've previously missed, or if Saints catering gave him pickled onion Monster Munch with his half time Bovril.

Leaving all other debates aside, our job is so much harder when we have officials who don't give us clear penalties, and who (god only knows how) can decide that the above was onside - gifting our opponents a gilt edged chance.

That lack of an offside flag is almost criminal.

Edited by Bobby_F

Djemba Djemba is NOW Mair's replacement? Good one! We haven't signed a replacement for Mair yet!

He's the guy we signed with the money we saved from getting rid of Mair, Harkins & Barron - times have changed since you were Dibbles old paperboy it's all about squads these days and signing Djemba allowed Goodwin to play CH or did you miss that?

Thanks for the freeze-frame; I posted a few pages back, just after the full-time whistle, how laughably offside he was. It wasn't even one of those where you needed a screen grab, in fairness - he was fecking miles clear, and the gap looked even bigger at full speed.

Ok, they f**ked it up and didn't score, and it is therefore a moot point, but as you say, that sort of stuff can't go for one side and not for another (I'd say the gap is about the same as the one for McGregor's disallowed goal.) Yes, both miles offside, but only one decision was given correctly.

I think the sun bed kid would take Kello,McGregor,McGinn,McLean and Thompson

Kello walking straight into the starting XI ahead of Langfield is definitely a no brainer, but other than that I am toiling to see how the 4 others you mention are superior to Aberdeen's starting XI.

Who would McInnes drop from central defence to make way for Darren McGregor.would that be Russell Andreson, Andrew Considine or Mark Reynolds? Not convinced McGregor is obviously better than any of those 3.

In midfield Aberdeen usually have Barry Robson, Willo Flood, Johnny Hayes, Nial McGinn, Peter Pawlett to choose from... would John McGinn and Kenny McLean really walk into the starting XI displacing 2 from that selection?

I could just about see a case for Thompson having a place on the bench at Aberdeen and being brought on when Aberdeen were chasing a game but doubt he would get a starting slot ahead of Adam Rooney.

He's the guy we signed with the money we saved from getting rid of Mair, Harkins & Barron - times have changed since you were Dibbles old paperboy it's all about squads these days and signing Djemba allowed Goodwin to play CH or did you miss that?

Were you not one of the people protesting that Lee Mair had not been replaced a few weeks ago? Mair was at fault for 3 of Motherwell's goals on Saturday a decisive factor in them losing -3 rather than winning comfortably?

Kello walking straight into the starting XI ahead of Langfield is definitely a no brainer, but other than that I am toiling to see how the 4 others you mention are superior to Aberdeen's starting XI.

Who would McInnes drop from central defence to make way for Darren McGregor.would that be Russell Andreson, Andrew Considine or Mark Reynolds? Not convinced McGregor is obviously better than any of those 3.

In midfield Aberdeen usually have Barry Robson, Willo Flood, Johnny Hayes, Nial McGinn, Peter Pawlett to choose from... would John McGinn and Kenny McLean really walk into the starting XI displacing 2 from that selection?

I could just about see a case for Thompson having a place on the bench at Aberdeen and being brought on when Aberdeen were chasing a game but doubt he would get a starting slot ahead of Adam Rooney.

It would surprise you,how much McGregor is rated.

A centre back who can play in a back 3 or 4.Good in the air,has decent pace and can play a bit also

McGinn owned Flood on Saturday and would have been even better if any of our other midfield kicked their own arses.Left much on his own trying to do too much.

McLean at long last played his ideal position as midfielder coming from deep.

Made plenty of clever runs which again let down by his team mates not playing him in

Thompson is the best target man in the league and Rooney would have a field day playing beside him.Far better than Zola and Vernon

Were you not one of the people protesting that Lee Mair had not been replaced a few weeks ago? Mair was at fault for 3 of Motherwell's goals on Saturday a decisive factor in them losing -3 rather than winning comfortably?

Yeah a couple of weeks ago when he hadn't been replaced. 1eye.gif Now he's been replaced by a player lacking match fitness - that's a month and the objective of strengthening the defence still hasn't been achieved, meanwhile we're out of the cup and still struggling to avoid the play-off spot.................

Once again, Mair's ability is not the issue it's Mair's ability in relation to the other options Thistle have, that and the fact that we're subsidizing his wages.

It would surprise you,how much McGregor is rated.

A centre back who can play in a back 3 or 4.Good in the air,has decent pace and can play a bit also

McGinn owned Flood on Saturday and would have been even better if any of our other midfield kicked their own arses.Left much on his own trying to do too much.

McLean at long last played his ideal position as midfielder coming from deep.

Made plenty of clever runs which again let down by his team mates not playing him in

Thompson is the best target man in the league and Rooney would have a field day playing beside him.Far better than Zola and Vernon

I'm fans of all 5 players you listed and agree about McGinn v Flood on Saturday.

McGinn and McGowan also outplayed Brown and Wanyama in last year's semi final by some way but it doesn't mean our players would walk straight into the Celtic midfield. If McGinn and McLean went to Aberdeen I wouldn't expect them to be starting every game for them.

I'm fans of all 5 players you listed and agree about McGinn v Flood on Saturday.

McGinn and McGowan also outplayed Brown and Wanyama in last year's semi final by some way but it doesn't mean our players would walk straight into the Celtic midfield. If McGinn and McLean went to Aberdeen I wouldn't expect them to be starting every game for them.

They don't start every game for us but thats mainly because we have the tinker man at the helm.

I wouldn't expect them to play every week either but most weeks.

One thing about McInnes he likes competition for places as he feels it gets the best out of his team.

He would take the 5 i mentioned no problem

Just posted this on P&B:

For some reason Sportscene didn't record for me tonight, but I did record the whole match yesterday.

Decided to watch the chance you referred to, and boy, is it not one of the worst decisions you've seen at a match since McGinn not getting a penalty for being taken out earlier in the half.

attachicon.gifOnside apparently.JPG

Seriously, can anyone ever remember seeing a clearer offside decision than this not being given?

Walker's earlier comment about Logan fouling McGinn in the box and it not being a penalty, followed up by him watching the replay of this and saying "Rooney Onside" really makes me wonder if he has an Aberdeen allegiance I've previously missed, or if Saints catering gave him pickled onion Monster Munch with his half time Bovril.

Leaving all other debates aside, our job is so much harder when we have officials who don't give us clear penalties, and who (god only knows how) can decide that the above was onside - gifting our opponents a gilt edged chance.

It's a pretty inconclusive camera view. The linesmans position would suggest there is a defender out of shot playing him onside as they are supposed to be in line with the last defender.

If not, he's a dobber.

Edited by davidg

Have we had the impact moment of the 'penalty' with Djemba Djemba completely on the other side of the penalty box white line?

post-2667-0-41912300-1392725226_thumb.jp

It's was a foul but Pawlett has thrown himself pretty far into the box.... giving him the benefit of the doubt but frankly from Utd and Hearts games previous I'm getting sick and tired of seeing opponents actively seeking opportunities to throw themselves to the floor on minimal or no contact.

When we had a player do this 95% of us said that was wrong and Imsa accepted his ban. Utd fans particularly just seem to have accpeted this crap as the norm and roar for fouls at everything.

The offside ...those in shot were the only players in our half ...no lurking full back on the camera side.... just as seen and another mistake.

It's a pretty inconclusive camera view. The linesmans position would suggest there is a defender out of shot playing him onside as they are supposed to be in line with the last defender.

If not, he's a dobber.

He's a dobber.

Even by the time the shot has been saved and the ball is squared, there are no Saints players in the right back position.

I too though thought it must be something like that, but no, he just looks at an Aberdeen player who is ridiculously obviously offside and keeps his flag down.

Sadly, he was the only official who had a good enough view to see that DD's rash tackle was actually not in the box.

McGinn and McLean under the right guidance could play in any team. Can't believe after watching that game anyone would say McGinn wouldn't play every week for them.

The original discussion about this began with someone saying we have a great squad with lots of players who could walk straight into any side in the top 6 outside Celtic. So far out of our great squad the highest number of players that anyone has proposed getting a regular game in a top 6 club is 5 of our squad of 20+ players. I'm not saying McGinn isn't good enough to play for Aberdeen, I actually think that over time if he keeps on improving he could become a full internationalist, and be good enough for the EPL, what I am saying, for now, is if McGinn (or McLean or McGowan) could 'walk straight into' the Aberdeen team then who would McInnes drop from his midfield to make way for him, eg would he drop Barry Robson, Willo Flood, Niall McGinn?

The general drift of my postings is, if the highest number of 'top 6 quality players' we have is reckoned to be 5 (at most) and that doesn't even equal half a starting XI and the rest are average bottom 6 SPL quality type players why are people outraged that we sit in 9th place and convinced almost any other manager other than Danny Lennon could get our amazing squad into contention for a top 6 place.

At the minute McGinn hasn't been selected for Scotland U21 squad, and when McLean is selected he is usually a sub rather than in the starting XI. This suggests to me that while they are good enough to play in the top 6, some other managers also have good young players in their teams of a similar standard or better.