Open Letter To Mr. Stuart Gilmour

Dear Mr Gilmour,

I have no earthly idea as to whether you ever dip into this form of media, if nothing else just to see how the fans of our beloved St Mirren perceive the club, the team, the management, the performances and everything else related to the Club in virtually every shape and form.

As with all forums there is diverse opinion, both informed and also banal. At the core however is a love of the team and the desire to see the club succeed. As could be witnessed last year the fans, the peripheral supporters, the town and the Club celebrated a great cup win, (nearly as rare as hen’s teeth), - but boy how we enjoyed it.

Under your stewardship the club has been pulled from the brink of financial mire through a somewhat fortuitous, but shrewd deal with Tesco which has provided the club with a neat, compact modern stadium and a training facility that will be the envy of many clubs throughout both Scotland and England. So for that, I say thank you.

However, as in most open letters, there is always a “however”! There is considerable unrest within the fan base as to how the team have failed to progress on the field. The Cup win came somewhat out of character, in that the team have been under-performing now for two to three years. Don’t get me wrong, at times the team can put in an inspired skilful performance, but they too are becoming as common as “hen’s teeth”. The change in direction brought by Danny Lennon has occasionally been pleasing on the eye, but when teams quickly learn how to combat or deal with that approach, we are easy to pick off and over the past two years that is exactly what they have done.

This is not aimed at Mr Lennon in particular more a plea from the heart, and I know I’m not alone in this view. There is almost common belief that the current crop of players we have should not have us mired anywhere near the bottom of the Premier League with every prospect that we will be involved in a play-off to stay in the league at the end of the season, but that is where we are.

Why are we there? There are lots and lots of views, but essentially the team aren’t performing on the park and to conjecture why that is, seems to fall squarely on two fronts. Firstly a lack of recognition by the Board of Director’s that the Management team haven’t pulled the best out of the players available to them, and secondly the great uncertainty that emanates from the Board as to whether they are selling, to whom and when. Neither of these facts can be ignored in the arguments as to why we are where we are.

There is a general feeling in the supporter’s ranks that if we go down this year with Hearts we are likely to be down there for much more than the one year. You would have Rangers and Hearts as well as a legion of other competitive teams vying for one assured promotion place and one other relying on the play-off slot next year alone. Yet we shouldn’t be there, not with the crop of players we have, nor with the facilities we have.

So, this letter is an open plea – act before it’s too late so that we, as fans, don’t have to endure the misery of a play-off, and if defeated, the likely event of several years in a 2nd division, which should be no place for a club in our position.

Yours ever faithful,

The Original 59er

Dear Mr Gilmour,

I have no earthly idea as to whether you ever dip into this form of media, if nothing else just to see how the fans of our beloved St Mirren perceive the club, the team, the management, the performances and everything else related to the Club in virtually every shape and form.

As with all forums there is diverse opinion, both informed and also banal. At the core however is a love of the team and the desire to see the club succeed. As could be witnessed last year the fans, the peripheral supporters, the town and the Club celebrated a great cup win, (nearly as rare as hen’s teeth), - but boy how we enjoyed it.

Under your stewardship the club has been pulled from the brink of financial mire through a somewhat fortuitous, but shrewd deal with Tesco which has provided the club with a neat, compact modern stadium and a training facility that will be the envy of many clubs throughout both Scotland and England. So for that, I say thank you.

However, as in most open letters, there is always a “however”! There is considerable unrest within the fan base as to how the team have failed to progress on the field. The Cup win came somewhat out of character, in that the team have been under-performing now for two to three years. Don’t get me wrong, at times the team can put in an inspired skilful performance, but they too are becoming as common as “hen’s teeth”. The change in direction brought by Danny Lennon has occasionally been pleasing on the eye, but when teams quickly learn how to combat or deal with that approach, we are easy to pick off and over the past two years that is exactly what they have done.

This is not aimed at Mr Lennon in particular more a plea from the heart, and I know I’m not alone in this view. There is almost common belief that the current crop of players we have should not have us mired anywhere near the bottom of the Premier League with every prospect that we will be involved in a play-off to stay in the league at the end of the season, but that is where we are.

Why are we there? There are lots and lots of views, but essentially the team aren’t performing on the park and to conjecture why that is, seems to fall squarely on two fronts. Firstly a lack of recognition by the Board of Director’s that the Management team haven’t pulled the best out of the players available to them, and secondly the great uncertainty that emanates from the Board as to whether they are selling, to whom and when. Neither of these facts can be ignored in the arguments as to why we are where we are.

There is a general feeling in the supporter’s ranks that if we go down this year with Hearts we are likely to be down there for much more than the one year. You would have Rangers and Hearts as well as a legion of other competitive teams vying for one assured promotion place and one other relying on the play-off slot next year alone. Yet we shouldn’t be there, not with the crop of players we have, nor with the facilities we have.

So, this letter is an open plea – act before it’s too late so that we, as fans, don’t have to endure the misery of a play-off, and if defeated, the likely event of several years in a 2nd division, which should be no place for a club in our position.

Yours ever faithful,

The Original 59er

I can confirm that Stewart Gilmour often pops in for a wee read, and occasionally to contribute.

SG spoke at some length to Chick Young last night in a pre-match interview on Radio Shortbread. I have to say, there is little of note to report from what was a somewhat predictable discourse. What did strike me, however, was some of the chat among the pundits and hacks after the interview. They spoke of what great guys our BoD are - genuine football people, and St Mirren fans. A lot was made of how they epitomise all that is good about how clubs should be run, and that they will be a great loss to the Scottish game when/if they finally sell the club.

It was all very nice, if a bit condescending.

From a personal persepctive, I want to hear people within the club raging about our predicament. I want passion, not platitudes. Decisive action, not the resigned fatalism that seemes to be pervading the club at every level, from the shares sale, to the outcome of the league campaign. The latest merchandising debacle sums it up perfectly.

I want to hear the directors, coaches, and players echo our cries that this isn't bloody acceptable, and to tell us what they intend to do about it.

All the back slapping in the world won't get us out of this hole. If the current BoD are to bow out shortly, there is a very real danger that their legacy won't be saving the club from the dreaded Reg, securing the move to the new stadium, or winning us the League Cup. No, there is every chance that the legacy will be presiding over the gutless relinquishing of our top flight status.

Edited by Drew

Dear Mr Gilmour,

Yours ever faithful,

The Original 59er

I can see this getting a damn good ignoring by Mr Stewart Gilmour

This is no more a dignified "open plea" than a dozen fans at the main entrance chanting "Danny Danny Danny-Out out out"

You are not telling him anything he does not already know

Why the drama over relegation and the concept that St Mirren should somehow be immune from it? Somebody has to go down-that is one of the basic concepts of our league.

Why the drama over relegation and the concept that St Mirren should somehow be immune from it? Somebody has to go down-that is one of the basic concepts of our league.

Are you serious?

I'm pretty certain that no-one feels we have a divine right to remain in the top flight. What we can reasonably expect, however, is a bit of fight when it comes to clinging onto that status. Otherwise, what is the point?

The Board don't give a toss so don't know why you bothered with an open letter the club deserves everything that's comming and everyone can see what's comming except them.

I don't agree that the Board doesn't give a toss. Arguably they have a very strong need to stay in the SPL. Anyway, seeing as you said toss, when you said 'comming' twice, did you really mean cumming?

I think it's been suggested , hinted , observed for long enough now............

there is no snap or bite about our club , we are drifting and taking the hits when they come, almost as an inevitable price to pay for being a football club, it's as if we roll over time after time, ....................

Whether it's the peurile bad boy Goodwin pr , or the 'great football guys' patronising comments from Richard Gordon et al, the latest , 'baffling football capitiulation' the latest commercial shambles...........

No snap, bite , mission or purpose.

Until the club is sold, this is rolling on and on and on....................

To be fair to Gilmour, I e-mailed him prior to the match we played Partick Thistle and lost 2-1 raising my concerns about Lennon, the budget etc. He was good enough to give me a call and we had a good chat for an hour about things. If you contact him, I'm confident he won't ignore you as some state on here that he will.

Stewart reads B&W Army regularly, and as alluded to by Tam he is always up for a chat with concerned supporters.

The board are not daft. They are all St.Mirren minded men. They will be hurting as much as everyone else after last nights performance.

We need to rely on them to make the right decisions in the interest of the football club.

Dear Mr Gilmour,

I have no earthly idea....

....So, this letter is an open plea – act before it’s too late so that we, as fans, don’t have to endure the misery of a play-off, and if defeated, the likely event of several years in a 2nd division, which should be no place for a club in our position.

Yours ever faithful,

The Original 59er

So you also are not sure what to suggest is done.

"Act before it’s too late" is a pretty poor payoff to the preceding waffle. After your preamble, I was hoping for something constructive - especially from you.

No pointers as to how he should act? Which actions should be taken...?

It could be you don't personally want the responsibility of calling for DL's removal, particularly as neither me, you or even SG can have any guarantee that all will be sweetness and light under a new management.

A couple of reasons why I would expect DL to prevail:

1. The post split games will be against 'lesser' teams than Shellic and StJ.

2. I feel that the team which beat Killie a few weeks ago showed they had talent, skill and worked well as a team, sufficient to ensure survival.

ok, 3. We have some great young players, brought through by DL. I think they WILL keep him in his job till at least the season end.

4. Change for change's sake, seldom succeeds.

Edited by bluto

I don't agree that the Board doesn't give a toss. Arguably they have a very strong need to stay in the SPL. Anyway, seeing as you said toss, when you said 'comming' twice, did you really mean cumming?

Think it's a bit harsh to say the BoD doesn't give a toss. Did you remortgage your home, sell your Mrs' pension when we nearly went to the wall? The people running our club have bigger balls than 99% of us on here.

Like I said in my previous post I spoke to SG earlier on in the season and he was unhappy (like every other fan) about what was happening on the park. There must be an underlying reason why Lennon has not yet been sacked, the issue is we don't know the reason - which is just leading to unfounded speculation.

Stewart reads B&W Army regularly, and as alluded to by Tam he is always up for a chat with concerned supporters.

Aye, and I've chatted with him on the blower a few times. I have the utmost respect for this aspect of his stewardship of the club, it has to be said. I don't always agree with what he has to say, but fair play to the man, he takes the time to chat things through.

One of the times I spoke with him, I was at work when he called me on the mobile. I later happened to mention, in the context of a blether about football with a colleague, that I had spoken with our club chairman earlier, and the aforementioned colleague was genuinely stunned that SG had simply called a ordinary joe supporter. I didn't seem at all strange to me, but I reckon that says more about SG than anything else.

These guys do have the interests of the club at heart, of that I have no doubt, but that being the case, I feel they have to act a bit more decisively in a number of areas.

Change for change sake seldom succeeds. Look at the improvement in Scotland after Levein departed. Same players different Manager

That's a fair point, actually.

Sometimes things get stale. Familiarity can indeed breed contempt, and ultimately, if something is all but broken, it needs fixing.

Are you serious?

I'm pretty certain that no-one feels we have a divine right to remain in the top flight. What we can reasonably expect, however, is a bit of fight when it comes to clinging onto that status. Otherwise, what is the point?

Any fight should be confined to the field of play, that is where attitudes need to change and a biot of belief and desire is required

Change for change sake seldom succeeds. Look at the improvement in Scotland after Levein departed. Same players different Manager

I forgot that.

How could I? Wee Gordon turned the leaking Levein ship around and steered Scotland to the finals in Brazil!

Or did he...? :unsure:

I think the levels of frustration being experienced by Stewart Gilmour over recent years must be exponentially greater than that of us mere grunts...........................goes without saying really.

However , like it or lump it , the ball is very much within the court of Stewart G and the Bod ( doh )

Sorry about the mixed metaphors, but I'm sure DL undertstands.............

We, certainly as fans expect more than is reasonable almost by default. However circumstances are conspiring that there is a growing destined inevtability around St Mirren FC failing..................the longer this so called form , the statistics, the dire lacklustre performances roll on, then the more fate tempting our postion is. Not pretty for anyone, fans, board, players , management.

More patience , well, I dunno about that, seriously , this season fans have been patient , loyal and pragmatic, but , tipping point is here, across several fronts for the club.

Edited by Seaside Nipper

Similarly, if Saints get relegated, they may finish higher a few seasons later.

WGS has Scotland playing better football than the previous manager, it has been said. As has DL.

The same benefit MIGHT arise if DL goes and someone else comes in.

WGS could not save the qualification process. A new manager also might not save Saints.

It cost the SFA £40,000 to sack Levein, IIRC...?

I assume all Buddies wanting to sack DL and hire an anonymous 'someone else' will be prepared to dip in their pockets to fund the transition?

Anyway... there's ages before the end of season!

I had words with Stewart last night. He even invited me in for a chat alas I was in no mood for further talks. The situation is crazy Lennon out of contract in weeks. So many players contracts expiring. Doubt that loan players really give s toss. Lennons treatment of plsyers like Robertson was shocking and signings like the French defy logic. Yes we need change snd we simply have to make it now.

S