Cheesy

He made some real howlers when Danny brought him back from QOS and, although they've reduced in their frequency since then, they've never gone away. Too many to be a centre half in a team who aspire to be in the top 6 certainly.

Have to feel sorry for him tonight though, especially as captain on his birthday! Even without his error for the second, I think there's a good chance we would still have lost that match as we were so poor.

He's been getting stick for a very long time, you don't have to be with us for long to get stick just ask Harkins and Imrie for example.

Cheesy is the scapegoat.

Not tonight he wasn't, tonight he was the culprit.

He had a player in his face and he tried chesting the ball, crowd starts gasping. Moments later, same ball, no player near him and you'd think he'd been possessed by someone who'd never seen a football, crowd starts getting on him. Then, the second goal...need to see it again as I've no idea what he was thinking or doing.

Played great first half and in 2nd half. 1 or 2 loose passes and "fans" turning on him visibly shook him... Was poor from then on

Can't agree with that.

Could tell as soon as he hit the first misplaced pass he lost it. Can't blame the fans , where I was sitting most were getting behind him.

Not going to slate him, don't like doing that to any Saints player. I've not seen a collapse in a players confidence like that in a long time.

Was always the risk with him as the main man at the back. Hopefully he forgets about it, he has to move on and so do the fans.

Can't agree with that.

Could tell as soon as he hit the first misplaced pass he lost it. Can't blame the fans , where I was sitting most were getting behind him.

Not going to slate him, don't like doing that to any Saints player. I've not seen a collapse in a players confidence like that in a long time.

Was always the risk with him as the main man at the back. Hopefully he forgets about it, he has to move on and so do the fans.

No chance I'm afraid to say.

He had a player in his face and he tried chesting the ball, crowd starts gasping. Moments later, same ball, no player near him and you'd think he'd been possessed by someone who'd never seen a football, crowd starts getting on him. Then, the second goal...need to see it again as I've no idea what he was thinking or doing.

I agree with this. I don't have a go at our players and I certainly don't shout abuse at them at games but I'm sure he knows he had mistakes. As I said previously on this thread:-

I'm not remotely interested in what any player earns. As long as they try their best every time they step onto the pitch wearing a Saints strip that's all that matters to me. Yes, they'll have bad days or off days but that applies to everyone in all walks of life. The good days make up for the bad days and we should savour the good days when we have them.

Tonight was one of those "off days" for him and I expect him to learn from it, well I hope he does anyway. He, like many players in our game has his limitations and we have to go with what we've got. I don't mean that in a bad way before I get pounced upon by his mates and barred but he's playing for us, if he was any better or as good as some would have you believe he'd be doing very well for himself at a bigger club with more wages going into his bank account.

Edited by iTony

I don't get the confidence thing when he's 26, he's old enough the know what reaction he will get, he should be professional enough to shrug it off and get on with things, anyone who has played the game as a CB knows the first rule is keep it simple, then defend the way your facing, Cheesy at times isn't capable of doing either.

When he's at his best he is a good defender, when he is anything less than his best we are as good as a man down

On reflection maybe the mods should temporarily lock this thread. The guy must be feeling bad enough within himself without folk having a thread about him that could run and run.

Edited to add:-

I know the thread was started with good intentions and a positive outlook but we all know how quickly a positive thread can quickly become negative after a bad result.

Edited by iTony

I find this difficult as I want McAusland to do well like every player who pulls on the jersey, probably more so as he's a local boy and supporter but tonight was just another example of why he gets singled out. He's just not good enough IMO and those errors will always be there.

He's not a kid anymore and his level right now is probably where it going to be be for the rest of his career. That might be good enough for some but not for me. Every successful team is built on a strong backbone and we are really lacking at centre back IMO.

It's a real shame but there's no getting away from it.

He wasn't the only one tonight. We were embarrassingly poor and tonight demonstrated how important Goodwin is to the team.

Guest TPAFKATS

Well W6 had fans giving him pelters before the goal, which he clearly heard. Indeed there was an argument between a couple of fans about him.

I was in Main stand so didnt hear a lot from there - one or two voices but that was the same for most of the game. Generally when the team play SO poorly or an individual player is having a 'mare you hear it a lot more.

In some ways mibees its more worrying that there was apathy as opposed to anger from the fans, esp in the first home league game.

Guest TPAFKATS

Fans got on his back instantly... people can say they didn't but certain fans did.

Not his best performance but wasn't the worst by any stretch of imagination. Onwards and upwards but don't think Cheesy deserves to be targeted for tonight's performance.

Some fans always do chrissy.

I try to defend him when talking about games with my mates as I think his mistakes are magnified cos its cheesy. Goodwin, for example, does the same thing and its classed as unlucky or he gets encouragement.

2nd half tonight was just a nightmare for him.

Mustve been some half time team talk from wee tommy as well though...

I think Tess should step into centre half now as it is crystal clear McAusland is way off the mark as a player at this level, his tackling is poor which is only marginally better than his ability to control a ball and his distribution. I want to see every player in a black n white shirt succeed but we need new blood at the centre of defence now so we can attempt to move forward.

Fans got on his back instantly... people can say they didn't but certain fans did.

Not his best performance but wasn't the worst by any stretch of imagination. Onwards and upwards but don't think Cheesy deserves to be targeted for tonight's performance.

Seriously ? The second half performance was easily the worst I have ever seen him play. The odd thing was 1st half he was ok. I wonder what happened at HT to make him crumble so spectacularly. To be fair last night there were plenty others just as culpable and based on that performance we have a squad simply not good enough at this level. Fingers crossed it was just an off night. Oh and btw yes Goodwin has his faults and yes he lets himsef down at times but my god if ever there was proof needed that we need him in the midfield it was last night. No one to break play up and I lost count of the number of times we were passed through like a hot knife through butter. Possibly this contributed to Cheesey's mare.

He had a poor second half, but to say he's the culprit?

It ain't his fault that we can't score any goals or is it?

He had a poor second half, but to say he's the culprit?

It ain't his fault that we can't score any goals or is it?

You're correct, it's not his job to score but he is part of the team that's meant to prevent goals crashing into our net.

The criticism of him, and a few others, is unfair AT TIMES but when it's deserved then he has to stand up.

It seems he had a poor game in a poor team but, as has been posted above, certain favourites, play just as poorly and barely get a mention.

He's not the reason we lost tonight, that was because we didn't seem to be playing any sort of formation or tactics.

The blinkered views from his mates and the over the top personal abuse from his detractors are both ridiculous. It's somewhere in the middle. He's just an extremely average footballer.

Cheesy is at the moment a run of the mill SPL defender if we replaced him he would be replaced by another run of the mill SPL defender at best. One thing he definitely is is a saints player and as a result deserves a little bit of support from us supporters.

Pairing him up with a loan signing won't help his development, he needs a good old fashioned no nonsense defender next to him and we need a leader in the heart of that defence.

Cheesy should not be the scapegoat for a few seasons worth of poor signings.

Cheesy is at the moment a run of the mill SPL defender if we replaced him he would be replaced by another run of the mill SPL defender at best. One thing he definitely is is a saints player and as a result deserves a little bit of support from us supporters.

Pairing him up with a loan signing won't help his development, he needs a good old fashioned no nonsense defender next to him and we need a leader in the heart of that defence.

Cheesy should not be the scapegoat for a few seasons worth of poor signings.

He's 26....................how long will it take for him to develop? blink.png

So it was a terrible performance, it happens. I personally think that part of our problem is the lack of pre season games at home. Half the team have never played at SMP before last night. FFS show a bit of patience, only 2 games in to the season and the usual suspects are trolling already. Get a grip!