Why All The Young Boys?

Can anyone tell me why we have gone from a cup winning side with experience right through the backbone of the team to one full of u20s players earning peanuts within a year and a half?

Is the club struggling so badly that we need to field teams full of youth players with no experience who are obviously going to lose to good opposition such as Hamilton yesterday?

That line up was like something a club close to loquidation would put out. Like hearts last year. What on earth is going on?!!!

Can anyone tell me why we have gone from a cup winning side with experience right through the backbone of the team to one full of u20s players earning peanuts within a year and a half?

Is the club struggling so badly that we need to field teams full of youth players with no experience who are obviously going to lose to good opposition such as Hamilton yesterday?

That line up was like something a club close to loquidation would put out. Like hearts last year. What on earth is going on?!!!

Building for the future.

Look at Hearts now.

They're flying.

Playing young guys is the right way to go for clubs like us but you must have a strong spine to your team ..... we've lacked that for a good couple of seasons now. Goalkeeper, centre half, centre midfield and centre forward - get that right and you build round it. The reason we are so shite right now is that currently our "spine" is virtually non- existent. Signing a crock in Osborne hasn't helped nor has going to the bargain basement for back up to Thommo. Our "team management" over the last few years has been pish and ironically in one of the worst SPL leagues in years we currently look a good bet to finish in the bottom 2. sad.png

Good one! Hearts are also in the league we're heading for!

Some of our support are even more gullible than I thought!

Been in worse League positions with St Mirren.

Not ideal, especially for Cup Competitions.

I'll support them gullibly forever.

We want to remain solvent and not die.

Basic fact of sports science is that athletes are at their best between 23 - 30 , look at the ages of the current international football team , top athletes etc , so it would make sense for the majority of the starting line up to be between these ages , with a couple of youngster and a couple of over thirties .

If we are competing in a league where we are likely to be fighting for survival , we should have an experienced well organised hard working team .

what we had at the start of the season was a couple of old codgers and a bunch of boys

poor Tommy set up to fail

Surprisingly sensible thread this, surprising indeed.

Tommy has been unlucky with injuries. Greg Wylde, Thommohawkster, thon fellah Osbourne. Goodwin stupidly getting himself suspended etc, etc and etc some more.

That said I will add my voice to the ever growing chorus that is advocating how poor our summer signings have been. Whilst injury woes have gone against oor Tommy it must be said that our squad was always light and the position we find ourselves in really was predictable.

January will be a huge month for our wee and wonderful club. It will be simply unacceptable for this transfer window to come and go like they have for us in previous years with little or no action. Will it be too little too late? Quite possibly but we are not dead yet, we have recovered from worse but first we must have fight.

For the record I remain scunnert, in fact this week I am pure dead scunnert.

lol.gif

Is this a serious post?

Are you possibly the only football fan in the country who doesn't understand what's happening to our clubs regarding finances?

Such a lot not going for the club at the moment and i,m going to state the obvious.

1/ Directors are tired,want out and cant/wont invest.

2/ Tommy Craig-appointment stank whatever way you put a slant on it.

3/ Signed players-not one has set the heather on fire.

4/ Injuries-Do we actually have a medical team

5/ Jim Goodwin-You would need to ask Jim Goodwin.

Now for the not so obvious,How do we rectify the situation.

1/ Go back to the 10000 hours model and get the fans to invest as was the original plan.It would take the board longer to get their money but as there has been no sale in 5 years and it doesn,t seem likely anytime soon it may be an option to them.

2/ Tommy aint going anywhere.2 year deal he aint going to give up on so i cant give an opinion on this one

3/ Tell said players its time to ship up or ship out.They should be playing for future contracts.

4/ Seemingly we have 3 players who will be back in a week but they will not be match fit so i dont see a dramatic change in our fortunes in the near future.

5/ Can we have Jim Goodwin the footballer back and not the red mist one but i still fear that he will be hounded whenever he plays.

I,m also at a loss as to how when we,re stretched Gary Teale does not play even when he,s fit for the bench.

I will be there on Saturday hoping that we will not be playing the long ball to the moon as it will be food and water to Caley.Going out the cup at this stage would be catastrophic.Come on Saints.Turn this round.

lol.gif

Is this a serious post?

Are you possibly the only football fan in the country who doesn't understand what's happening to our clubs regarding finances?

How many other spl clubs, most of whom are in a worse financial state than ourselves, have a team full of boys? Yes NONE! What we're doing is madness and quite obvious the board don't care if we're relegated Edited by Big Yards

How many other spl clubs, most of whom are in a worse financial state than ourselves, have a team full of boys? Yes NONE! What we're doing is madness and quite obvious the board don't care if we're relegated

Really?

I'm not sticking up for the board, but its well documented that we're absolutely skint. I'd suggest that the only club approaching our poor financial state is Motherwell, who are also looking for new owners.

We couldn't even match the wage demands of Brian McLean, a very limited football player, who has been out of work for almost six months.

We want to remain solvent and not die.

You'll die anyway if you can't give you customer base value for money.

The right business model for clubs like St Mirren has to be to focus on youth players but it's noticeable that since the introduction of the pro youth model St Mirren haven't had anywhere near the success that they used to have in bringing in players who would move on for big money. I think I'm right in saying that since 2000 only Simon Lappin and Stephen McGinn have actually made the club money. This has got to be down to two things

1. There is failure in the pro youth system at Ralston.

2. The loss of Joe Hughes from the club was catastrophic and St Mirren have never managed to adequately replace him in the work he did identifying and recruiting the best young talent.

You'll die anyway if you can't give you customer base value for money.

The right business model for clubs like St Mirren has to be to focus on youth players but it's noticeable that since the introduction of the pro youth model St Mirren haven't had anywhere near the success that they used to have in bringing in players who would move on for big money. I think I'm right in saying that since 2000 only Simon Lappin and Stephen McGinn have actually made the club money. This has got to be down to two things

1. There is failure in the pro youth system at Ralston.

2. The loss of Joe Hughes from the club was catastrophic and St Mirren have never managed to adequately replace him in the work he did identifying and recruiting the best young talent.

There's isn't a real scouting system since Joe Hughes left

Really?

I'm not sticking up for the board, but its well documented that we're absolutely skint. I'd suggest that the only club approaching our poor financial state is Motherwell, who are also looking for new owners.

We couldn't even match the wage demands of Brian McLean, a very limited football player, who has been out of work for almost six months.

Couldn't match his wages or just weren't willing to are 2 different things! Edited by Big Yards

There's something drastically wrong when supporters of St Mirren for 55 years are deciding they've had enough and are not going back.

Something has to be done about the state of things asap otherwise the club is heading for a very dark future starting with a record low attendance vs Inverness in the cup!

Edited by Big Yards

Ict will win next week. I am just so fed up watching wee boys run about and kid on they're footballers. If we were going to have a young team with shite players then I wish I had been told this at the start. I am all for good young guys being bled gradually but not this ridiculous situation we have when three experienced players sat on the bench yesterday and the youth were hung out to dry. I think the support has finally had it and I will say again if he loses to st.johnstone at home that will be one point from 24 at home. We are going down and we will not return. Gilmour is ruining his legacy

That interview did nothing to help the situation at least say sorry I'm trying but I need time not "nothing" what a crock of shite! We are shite this is the worst team I have witnessed play top flight football. We could be detached before long. Action needs to be taken

Never mind top flight football, this team couldn't beat a 3rd division club!

That interview did nothing to help the situation at least say sorry I'm trying but I need time not "nothing" what a crock of shite! We are shite this is the worst team I have witnessed play top flight football. We could be detached before long. Action needs to be taken

Sad to admit it though I agree this is the worst team, even above Gretna to have played in the spl. On current form we shouldnt be playing in this league.

With the exit of hibs and hearts we really should have grasped the opportunity to progress as a club on the park. Unfortunately we have moved so far backwards, we would struggle to stay afloat in the championship.