Should We Sack Gary Teal

Really?

I feel the Board have backed Gary by allowing him to improve the squad and paying the price by releasing what Teale thought was dead wood. Even to the extent of bringing in the central defender they seemed to have ignored previously.

If we go down it will not be GT's fault entirely. His record so far is far better than what went before.

Ooft. Teal is a type of duck.

I don't see how we can sack Teale, and don't think it would make much difference at this stage.

He should never have got the job in the first place though.

Having said that it's the board that has to carry the can for this mess. After the disasterous appointment of Craig, to do nothing positive over the transfer window and then sell your most effective player on deadline day, is simply asking for relegation.

And all this with hardly a word to the fans.

If you'd told me before the season started that this was how things were going to go, I wouldn't have believed it. And even having seen it happen I'm still struggling.

I don't see how we can sack Teale, and don't think it would make much difference at this stage.

He should never have got the job in the first place though.

Having said that it's the board that has to carry the can for this mess. After the disasterous appointment of Craig, to do nothing positive over the transfer window and then sell your most effective player on deadline day, is simply asking for relegation.

And all this with hardly a word to the fans.

If you'd told me before the season started that this was how things were going to go, I wouldn't have believed it. And even having seen it happen I'm still struggling.

> Having said that it's the board that has to carry the can for this mess

Agree fully ds10

The frustration we all feel / being vented on this forum is likely to become ever more repetative, desperate and outlandish in the remaining few weeks of the season as we, seemingly, hurtle towards the Championship.

The temptation is to resist posting again as, at least personally speaking, like many I've nothing new left to say. We have discussed to death our increduality over the appointment of Craig, his reliance on aging Thommo, his purchase of Ball, Marwood and Caldwell, none of whom had a track record to suggest they meritted the title of 'striker'. Then there was his 'non' appointment of a centre back, his 'relationship' with the paying fans, media etc.

Despite this the BOD insisted they had the right man until Craig was finally dumped in early December. The BOD then told us we would get someone who could 'wheel and deal' in the January Transfer window. We heard nothing for weeks! Eventually, about 1 week short of the window slamming shut, the BOD appointed Gary Teale, a candidate who had no managerial experience and who had first started coaching just a few months prior. I cannot think of any other walk of life where this would be seen as a responsible decision by a Board. Facing the prospect of the fight of our lives they gave the managers job to someone who had never managed, and worse, was potentially hobbled by his existing allegiances within the dressing room.

The Transfer window witnessed our best player (and almost the only guy who was troubling the net) being sold to Aberdeen. To solve the striking problem we purchased Arquin from Ross County (where he scored 2 in 19) and journeyman Gow. Opposition defences must be shitting themselves.

IMHO forget talk of sacking GT, and to some extent forget blaming TC (yes, I know!), both appointments were cheap and lazy from a BOD who, by their own admission, are not the people to take the club forward. Can there be any doubt, in a league sans Sevco, Hearts and Hibs, that our BOD saw an opportunity to serve us up gash football, coast to a 10th place, and save a few quid at that same time? So yes, let's not pull any punches. As has been said by better observers that me, the BOD have got more right than wrong during their tenure. Season 2014/2015 however, spectacular own goal!

Here's the kicker though. Hurtling towards relegation we may be, however it speaks volumes about the state of the Scottish Premiership that we are still in with a shout. We have played 29 and in the process have accumulated just 21 points with a goal difference of -25. We of course sit bottom of the league. Yet we are only 5 points from that elusive 10th place and guaranteed safety, and only 1 point from 11th and the opportunity of survial via a play off. I don't intend that to be read as a positive, but rather a damming indictment of the state of our domestic top tier. Seriously, to get relegated from this league takes something truly special. We have almost achieved it, we should reflect on that.

Yeh. Its not as if he was assistant in the summer when we signed a load of dross. Its not as if it was his connections that brought us Callum Ball. Its not as if he had the winter transfer window to try and improve matters.

And as for the current assistant manager, a guy with no experience as a professional footballer, its not as if he was in charge of youth development for over a decade and the players he's brought through aren't up to the job. Its not as if he let go one of our best young prospects to end up at Kilmarnock and get it right up us in the last 2 meetings.

Hang on a minute....

What I will give Teale & Longwell however is that its not their fault that they are both clueless...

all true, and twisted rather than spun by yourself

the question is, should we sack Teale? the answer is, not if it doesnt guarantee improvement right away

IMHO forget talk of sacking GT, and to some extent forget blaming TC (yes, I know!), both appointments were cheap and lazy from a BOD who, by their own admission, are not the people to take the club forward. Can there be any doubt, in a league sans Sevco, Hearts and Hibs, that our BOD saw an opportunity to serve us up gash football, coast to a 10th place, and save a few quid at that same time? So yes, let's not pull any punches. As has been said by better observers that me, the BOD have got more right than wrong during their tenure. Season 2014/2015 however, spectacular own goal!

The sad thing is that I very much doubt whether last May's coup d'état was cheap................

Edited by Bud the Baker

The sad thing is that I very much doubt whether last May's coup d'état was cheap................

It's a fair point well made BtB, in May 2014 it was clearly the cheap option, not so 8 painful months later when we had to pay off TC and the majority of his woeful signings! Nightmare stuff.

How about an experienced director of football type role to oversee and guide Gary as well as take accountability for sorting out our scouting system, youth development and recruitment policy's.

Give Gary someone to learn from and concentrate on coaching and managing the first team for the rest of the season.

We are f**ked right now and need to be thinking what if we go down. Also need to be thinking what if we stay up and strategy for not getting in this state next year.

I don't think it'd fair to bring in a new man and have him thinking of next season right now, however if we don't plan ahead we are in real trouble so maybe a role above Gary would give us a bit of strategic planning.

Edited by exiledfan

Even if were relegated I think GT should get the job to try and bring us straight back up,

That's an astonishing statement, surely Santaponsasaint?

Let me say up front that I don't blame GT at all for taking the job, his playing career is finished, he needs a job. Moreover, if he keeps us up I will 100% advocate a 1 year contract extension. Fair's fair, he will have achieved what has been asked of him in a short timeframe and under the most trying of footballing circumstances. In that scenario, if we don't take a punt on him, someone else will.

However, this is a guy who only started coaching 9 months ago, and who has only been managing (caretaker & full time) since December! His win% is 28.57% (Played 14, won 4, drawn 1, lost 9)

> Even if were relegated I think GT should get the job

So, no caveats? If we get the bump he gets the gig? Just like that? What if we lose all 9 remaining games?

I honestly can't understand that thinking. It's up there with a fellow poster advocating we give Thommo a contract extension as a centre back. #blindloyalty

That's an astonishing statement, surely Santaponsasaint?

Let me say up front that I don't blame GT at all for taking the job, his playing career is finished, he needs a job. Moreover, if he keeps us up I will 100% advocate a 1 year contract extension. Fair's fair, he will have achieved what has been asked of him in a short timeframe and under the most trying of footballing circumstances. In that scenario, if we don't take a punt on him, someone else will.

However, this is a guy who only started coaching 9 months ago, and who has only been managing (caretaker & full time) since December! His win% is 28.57% (Played 14, won 4, drawn 1, lost 9)

> Even if were relegated I think GT should get the job

So, no caveats? If we get the bump he gets the gig? Just like that? What if we lose all 9 remaining games?

I honestly can't understand that thinking. It's up there with a fellow poster advocating we give Thommo a contract extension as a centre back. #blindloyalty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27402249

Senior players Gary Teale and Jim Goodwin will make up his backroom team at St Mirren, with the trio all agreeing two-year contracts.

Teale's contract already extends into next season, I expect him to be in charge next season regardless of which division we're in......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27402249

Teale's contract already extends into next season, I expect him to be in charge next season regardless of which division we're in......

GT's contract as Manager, as announced in January (2015), is for the remainder of season 2014/2015 ONLY.

As for the status of GT's contract as Player/Coach, announced May 2014 along with the same for Jim Goodwin, answers on a postcard.

GT's contract as Manager, as announced in January (2015), is for the remainder of season 2014/2015 ONLY.

I understand but, by my reckoning, he'll still be under contract next season which leaves 4 options

1. a bigger club comes in for him and he leaves
  2. he resigns
  3. he's put on gardening leave
  4. he remains as our manager

I know which option my money is on - feel free to bookmark this post and berate me if I'm wrong.

I understand but, by my reckoning, he'll still be under contract next season which leaves 4 options

1. a bigger club comes in for him and he leaves
  2. he resigns
  3. he's put on gardening leave
  4. he remains as our manager

I know which option my money is on - feel free to bookmark this post and berate me if I'm wrong.

> feel free to bookmark this post and berate me if I'm wrong

Au contraire BtB, all about opinions, good exchange.

> feel free to bookmark this post and berate me if I'm wrong

Au contraire BtB, all about opinions, good exchange.

I'm sorry if my previous reply came across as a bit touchy but casting up predictions that fail to occur is a custom of the forum, I just reckon that Tealzo remaining in charge over the summer and into the start of next season is the most likely scenario...............

As for the status of GT's contract as Player/Coach, announced May 2014 along with the same for Jim Goodwin, answers on a postcard.

He took a new job with a different length of contract, and in MOST scenarios like this if he is bumped at the end of the season then thats it for him. His employer (you would ,think) would have taken steps to ensure they aren't committed to him staying on if the managers job doesn't work out as any new recruit would probably want to have their own coaches in situ.

On the upside Gus Poyet is available!

He took a new job with a different length of contract, and in MOST scenarios like this if he is bumped at the end of the season then thats it for him. His employer (you would ,think) would have taken steps to ensure they aren't committed to him staying on if the managers job doesn't work out as any new recruit would probably want to have their own coaches in situ.

On the upside Gus Poyet is available!

Dec 9 - It has been confirmed today that St Mirren FC Manager Tommy Craig has left the Club by mutual consent. Player/coach Gary Teale will take charge of the team on an interim basis and will be assisted by Head of Youth Development David Longwell until such times as a successor is appointed

Jan 29 - We are delighted to confirm that Gary Teale assisted by David Longwell will remain in charge of St Mirren Football Club until the end of the season.

I see nothing in the two club statements to indicate that a new contract was signed.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I see nothing in the two club statements to indicate that a new contract was signed.

So in one statement he has a two year coaching contract, and in another he is confirmed in a new role till the end of the season.

Thats two different roles, with different responsibilities, different rewards/benefits and a different period under contract. I would assume he has signed to accept the greater role, with the greater reward to protect his entitlements.

So in one statement he has a two year coaching contract, and in another he is confirmed in a new role till the end of the season.

Thats two different roles, with different responsibilities, different rewards/benefits and a different period under contract. I would assume he has signed to accept the greater role, with the greater reward to protect his entitlements.

Presumably we'll find out in about 2½ months....................

Exactly. Surely by signing a contract to become manager his previous contract is over? Unless our board are even more inept than we imagined, by having someone retain 2 contracts? Or is the managerial contract only a temporary one? In which case there would never be any need to sack him from this. He could simply be given notice that he is returning to his previous role i.e. A player.