Club Is Out Of Touch With Support

Oops, my phone is ringing.

Caller I.D. - Stewarty.

I'll get back to you , with the news.

Nae news, which is good news.

COYS

Just required a Taxi to Airport. (holiday time)

Enjoy Sir,it's been a long hard Season.

I tend to avoid abusing the Facebook feed. As far as I'm aware, it's run on behalf of the club by an unpaid fan who has no actual sway in club matters. It's unfortunate that the club can't hire an actual PR representative to do this sort of work and once again, relies on the goodwill of an individual who gets a lot of public stick thats aimed at the board of the club.

The line of communication between fans and board has totally and irreversibly broken down.

The Facebook and Twitter feeds are run by the same club employee that runs the website, edits the programme etc. The exception is on match days when it'll be often be the volunteer who is doing the match report who'll be doing the Twitter updates.

As you say it's ridiculous they get flack on Facebook for posting links to the website - they are as responsible for the problems as the cleaner or receptionist.

It's not great that's for sure the board will be just as depressed as us. I'm sure it's all to do with circumstances such as the club on the brink of takeover only for it to fall apart has played a big part. Now we are in a waiting game to hear what the plans for next season are something the board need to get right if season tickets are to be sold in decent numbers at the end of the day I'm sure the board are pig sick

I tend to avoid abusing the Facebook feed. As far as I'm aware, it's run on behalf of the club by an unpaid fan who has no actual sway in club matters. It's unfortunate that the club can't hire an actual PR representative to do this sort of work and once again, relies on the goodwill of an individual who gets a lot of public stick thats aimed at the board of the club.

The line of communication between fans and board has totally and irreversibly broken down.

The line of communication is exactly the same today as it has been in all my years of following the team. All that's changed is some fans now seem to be very needy in terms of having a statement to read or whatever is required. Edited by Thorizaar

I'm interested - what should they be saying or doing?

They should be engaging with, not ignoring/attacking the support. It is the support who finance the club and they seem loathe to recognise that.

They should have set out a plan for relegation and involved their backers (us) in that plan, they should have set out our recovery plan, what needs to change, why, how, when and how its progress can be measured.

Instead we have had pathetic pleas in the media saying 'gonna leave us alane' again forgetting the support finance the club. It is pathetic, and the tired old line that 'there wouldn't be a club if it weren't for this board' is way past its Use By date.

There wouldn't be, and there won't be a club ever..... Without us ponying up the dough to enable it to function! Dry yir feckin eyes board.

They should be engaging with, not ignoring/attacking the support. It is the support who finance the club and they seem loathe to recognise that.

They should have set out a plan for relegation and involved their backers (us) in that plan, they should have set out our recovery plan, what needs to change, why, how, when and how its progress can be measured.

Instead we have had pathetic pleas in the media saying 'gonna leave us alane' again forgetting the support finance the club. It is pathetic, and the tired old line that 'there wouldn't be a club if it weren't for this board' is way past its Use By date.

There wouldn't be, and there won't be a club ever..... Without us ponying up the dough to enable it to function! Dry yir feckin eyes board.

The Poz Dot makes more sense.

I think the fact is that we are now being run as a business, that has to stay in the black, especially as the BOD want to sell.

The BOD have no money to invest and whilst we don't have a sugar daddy it's something we are going to have to accept until the club is sold and we have new investment.

If the keyboard warriors who post on here during home matches from their bedrooms, actually went to home matches (those that live close enough obviously) then we might get a better standard of player.

I have been to more away matches than home this season due to where I live but will invest in a ST next season.

The line of communication is exactly the same today as it has been in all my years of following the team. All that's changed is some fans now seem to be very needy in terms of having a statement to read or whatever is required.

Is it though?

There have been peaks and troughs with the current board of directors. In the past they've been extremely keen to talk through the media or through meetings with the fans to outline the inner workings of the club. They've done it through a number of outlets; through SMiSA arranged meetings with the fans; through hastily arranged meetings in the boardroom with groups of individuals off these forums; through addressing larger numbers of fans in the stands; through interviews on TV and Radio and through a handful of their hand picked journalist friends who will always give them a fairly easy ride. During promotion campaigns and during successful cup runs - like the 2013 League Cup or the 2005 Challenge Cup - we're seen Gilmour on the pitch celebrating in front of the fans. We've seen him conducting all the media interviews and anyone who has a copy of any of the official DVD's at that time will know that Gilmour features heavily in each one of them too. It's also true that a good number of forum regulars have Stewart Gilmours phone number and an invite to call him if any clarification of a story is needed before it gets published on one of the websites. Even I had been given Gilmours card at one point by Stewart Gilmour.

The problem is that when times get tough, like they did during the John Coughlin period in charge, and as they have done now, the board of directors pull up the drawbridge as though they are scared to hear the criticism that they deserve to have levelled at them and it is the wrong way to deal with things - especially when trying to sell the club.

Gilmour would do well to take a leaf out of Tesco CEO, Dave Lewis', book. Two days ago, in the face of unprecedented annual losses he was on every national news outlet explaining where the losses came from and detailing the steps he was taking to turn the business around. As a result of this Tesco's share price not only held its value, it has actually INCREASED. Tesco Customers may well be waiting to see if the promises of lower prices are true before committing their business, but the plans clearly impressed investors.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

The line of communication is exactly the same today as it has been in all my years of following the team. All that's changed is some fans now seem to be very needy in terms of having a statement to read or whatever is required.

Yes and no - the club acknowledged the interest from the Argentinian consortium in the media and they've been leaking like a sieve since about that time, Gilmour also responded to Tom English's article by saying the BoD had made an error of judgement.

I have no gripe if the Board want to be Garboesque but once you start talking you might as well try and do it effectively.

I think due to social networking we all probably expect a bit too much to come out in the way of official statements.

We all speculate/wind each other up into a frenzy on here and then expect feedback on every issue from the BOD.

As far as they are concerned, even taking into consideration our woeful season it's business as usual and until there's something to report we'll hear nothing.

If anything the problem is exacerbated by posters on here/Facebook/Twitter who claim to be 'in the know' and have inside info, which only further serves to wind us up.

Obviously I exclude Div from this.

Edited by Rabinho

Gilmour would do well to take a leaf out of Tesco CEO, Dave Lewis', book. Two days ago, in the face of unprecedented annual losses he was on every national news outlet explaining where the losses came from and detailing the steps he was taking to turn the business around. As a result of this Tesco's share price not only held its value, it has actually INCREASED. Tesco Customers may well be waiting to see if the promises of lower prices are true before committing their business, but the plans clearly impressed investors.

In St. Mirren's case, as the majority of the investment is owned by the directors themselves, this means that they only really need to impress themselves?

They wouldn't need to appear on every national new outlet to do that surely?

:lol: