Mcgill's Buses

shull

I went on a black & white Western SMT bus to the League Cup quarter final tie at Stirling Albion in 1971.

Dunno whit Saints Supporters club it was.

My Grandad took me.

We won 3-0. thumbup2.gif

When St Cuthberts and Johnstone High had the shared campus in Johnstone , the green and white Cunningham buses picked up at St Cuthberts and the blue and white Paton's buses picked up Johnstone High , l kid ye not. .1eye.gif

14709717013_32bb5a728b_b.jpg

When St Cuthberts and Johnstone High had the shared campus in Johnstone , the green and white Cunningham buses picked up at St Cuthberts and the blue and white Paton's buses picked up Johnstone High , l kid ye not. .1eye.gif

14709717013_32bb5a728b_b.jpg

Fantastic photo bring back memories as a wee boy.

Anyone know if there is a book with old Paisley photos ?

A fish got hit by a bus in the town today.

Was heard to scream out...

' Ouch, McGills! '

Classic.....tell everyone down here that one, even though I have to explain the bus situation before I tell it!!!

Heard it yesterday.........

A fish got hit by a bus in the town today.

Was heard to scream out...

' Ouch, McGills! '

Once my bus pass failed when I got on so ask the lady whistling.gif driver now what happen. You will need to pay she snapped, no problem and paid the £1-60. Phone them up and they said she should have gave me a temporary pass for a month until I got my new card. Never got my cash back lol.gif Other time was waiting to get off at Renfrew Cross but driver after looking at me in the mirror kept going into the High St. When he drove past the Wallace I shouted any chance of getting off, never saw you he said and your standing at the wrong door. Bus had door in the middle as well as the front and I was at the middle one. I am 16 stone so if he never saw me while looking in his mirror for 100 yards he certainly should not be driving a bus. All ended well since the bus stop outside the 19th pub which was handy drinks_cheers.gif

Edited by renfrew

The green buses to hunterhill were youngs buses i believe, patons' and cunninghams ran paisley to renfrew and vice-versa, all 3 of these companies had rather old buses whilst western smt usually replaced theirs regularly. I recall the patons' and cunninghams being blue and white and green and white respectively and also recall signage inside them relating to "london transport" so assume they bought second hand vehicles from london and across the uk.

McGills' as they are now have a bad reputation and i have heard a few stories of grumpy unhelpful drivers who also seem to give you tickets which are printed with a price that is much higher than you have paid for them, not ripping off customers directly but possibly gaining more funding from the relevant authority, certainly not money-laundering ?

A monopoly ripping aff the paying punter at the expense of The Scottish Government and the Scotland wide Free Travel scheme ? £ 2.40 from Foxbar for a Single Fare is clearly ripping the pish out of the Paying Public !

post-8992-0-71000400-1432058281_thumb.jp

Once my bus pass failed when I got on so ask the lady whistling.gif driver now what happen. You will need to pay she snapped, no problem and paid the £1-60. Phone them up and they said she should have gave me a temporary pass for a month until I got my new card. Never got my cash back lol.gif Other time was waiting to get off at Renfrew Cross but driver after looking at me in the mirror kept going into the High St. When he drove past the Wallace I shouted any chance of getting off, never saw you he said and your standing at the wrong door. Bus had door in the middle as well as the front and I was at the middle one. I am 16 stone so if he never saw me while looking in his mirror for 100 yards he certainly should not be driving a bus. All ended well since the bus stop outside the 19th pub which was handy drinks_cheers.gif

You been in the 19th aw day ?

You mean ten bob ?

50p ?

FFS. .

It was only Tuppence (2d) form Renfrew Cross to Paisley Cross.

The open rear entrance/platform on the old Routemasters were great for chucking eggs into...

A monopoly ripping aff the paying punter at the expense of The Scottish Government and the Scotland wide Free Travel scheme ? £ 2.40 from Foxbar for a Single Fare is clearly ripping the pish out of the Paying Public !

attachicon.gif10947244_877400345683852_8047088170732541329_n.jpg

Same from Dykebar mate, subsidising Sevco or whit!... although a day ticket,usable on any of their buses is only £3.70

Since my licence was taken off me I get a McGills bus every day. I don't like bus travel but the 38 is alright for what it is. It's punctual at 6.11 every morning and it gets me to Central Station in time for the 6.30 to Euston. Can't complain really. The only problem I see is with passengers.

Anyway hopefully I'll get my licence back this week and I can get back to enjoying my own company

I, unfortunately, have to see your posts when on my phone so I saw this.

Since when did the McGill's 38 go through Lanarkshire?

Edit: The 0630 to Euston would be the last train to get you to Carstairs before your day treatment starts at 0700, I assume.

Edit: The 0630 to Euston would be the last train to get you to Carstairs before your day treatment starts at 0700, I assume.

Compulsive liar is Stuart always getting caught out. Strange !

I work in Glasgow, on the McGills 38 bus route. The 6.30 to Euston doesn't stop at Carstairs - where presumably you would like me to visit you. It does however stop at Motherwell just in time for the connecting train to Wishaw.

• 8 years later...