Jim Goodwin To Sign For Motherwell

No mention of JG in the 10 released players. That would imply IM wants him for the last year of his contract to support what is likely to be a very young team.

I expect there will be a compromise position reached on Goodwin sooner rather than later.

He's under contract for another year, but I seriously doubt he will still be at the club next season.

I expect there will be a compromise position reached on Goodwin sooner rather than later.

He's under contract for another year, but I seriously doubt he will still be at the club next season.

I'm sure you know a wee bit more but not in a position to write it Div.

My own view is it would be nothing short of madness to get rid of Goodwin given we are going with a young team next season. Some are slating Goodwin for the mistakes in a position he clearly is not comfortable with by his own admission As a holding midfield player he would be ideal.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

I would be surprised if he leaves.

He has a contract, he clearly wants to stay as he has said publicly on numerous occasions. Therefore you'd think he's not going to be interested in any kind of mutual consent agreement, he will want his full contract paid up for him to leave. Which is perfectly understandable.

Why do that instead of keep him? Doesn't make economic or football senses. I hope and think he will be playing for us next year.

Edited by TopCat

He has a contract, he clearly wants to stay as he has said publicly on numerous occasions. Therefore you'd think he's not going to be interested in any kind of mutual consent agreement, he will want his full contract paid up for him to leave. Which is perfectly understandable.

Why do that instead of keep him? Doesn't make economic or football senses. I hope and think he will be playing for us next year.

If Goodwin is willing to stay on a reduced wage it's a no brainer. Good, experienced player in a team of kids as has been pointed out before. Some are against him staying for reasons they've put down eloquently, although I disagree with them. With others you've got to wonder if he's shagged their wife, such is the vitriol reserved for him...

It may be we are looking for him to take a wage cut as I would assume going by the PDE article saying he wants to play a certain position (and therefore he wants to stay) he didn't have the sort of relegation clause in his contract many were alluding to in the weeks leading up to the end of the season. Murray may also have someone else identified to play the position Jim is publicly saying he would prefer to play. I'm far from convinced Jim will be a Saints player come the new season and personally I'm not fussed either way. For all his experience he has plenty traits I wouldn't want passed down to any young players looking to learn from him. Holding midfielders are not that hard to find and his (presumably largish) wage might be better spent elsewhere.

It may be we are looking for him to take a wage cut as I would assume going by the PDE article saying he wants to play a certain position (and therefore he wants to stay) he didn't have the sort of relegation clause in his contract many were alluding to in the weeks leading up to the end of the season. Murray may also have someone else identified to play the position Jim is publicly saying he would prefer to play. I'm far from convinced Jim will be a Saints player come the new season and personally I'm not fussed either way. For all his experience he has plenty traits I wouldn't want passed down to any young players looking to learn from him. Holding midfielders are not that hard to find and his (presumably largish) wage might be better spent elsewhere.

Hmmm not sure on this one......first impulse was whatever...not bothered he looked slow and way short of what was required....a liability even towards end of season which was a shame to see because there was times previous seasons where it was clear he was key to us playing well.
He has slowed and he was way off the boil end of season...but maybe just maybe he wouldn't get just so exposed in The Championship and could help the youngsters...
Then you add in the discipline bit and I think I'm still siding with rather go without him sadly.

from original post...Motherwell would be "aff their heeds" to sign him.

I'm sure he said in one interview he was willing to take the wage cut and wanted to stay? Can't imagine any club giving out contracts without a relegation clause in them, that would be madness.

He didn't have a great season last term ( no one did ) but he was by no means the worst. Indeed our fans voted him the best of a bad bunch apart from Kenny McLean.

The Championship is obviously a lower standard and I'm confident he could do a good job for us next season.

Hmmm not sure on this one......first impulse was whatever...not bothered he looked slow and way short of what was required....a liability even towards end of season which was a shame to see because there was times previous seasons where it was clear he was key to us playing well.

He has slowed and he was way off the boil end of season...but maybe just maybe he wouldn't get just so exposed in The Championship and could help the youngsters...

Then you add in the discipline bit and I think I'm still siding with rather go without him sadly.

from original post...Motherwell would be "aff their heeds" to sign him.

I'm not going to point the finger at any of our young players and no one should.

Season past was an utter joke but lets be honest tell me one senior player who played well all season , just one because I cant think of any. Why that was I have no idea.

So have we to blame one player for the underachievement for the whole team.

Goodwin has more than enough in his locker to be excellent for us in midfield next season.

I for one will be spitting the dummy out if Goodwin is moved on especially to a rival championship club. It will also make me question if we have appointed the right manager unless he has a better alternative of which I cant think of anyone to fit Goodwins boots on the park.

I'm not going to point the finger at any of our young players and no one should.

Season past was an utter joke but lets be honest tell me one senior player who played well all season , just one because I cant think of any. Why that was I have no idea.

Goodwin has more than enough in his locker to be excellent for us in midfield next season.

I for one will be spitting the dummy out if Goodwin is moved on especially to a rival championship club. It will also make me question if we have appointed the right manager unless he has a better alternative of which I cant think of anyone to fit Goodwins boots on the park.

Goodwin was part of the management team that failed miserably. He got sent off in his first match. Later on he was released from his position as a coach.

We have a new man in charge and a new broom usually sweeps clean. Div has hinted that he knows something and will be surprised if Goodwin is still with us at the start of next season.

Get ready for spitting out your dummy I'm afraid.

Goodwin was part of the management team that failed miserably. He got sent off in his first match. Later on he was released from his position as a coach.

We have a new man in charge and a new broom usually sweeps clean. Div has hinted that he knows something and will be surprised if Goodwin is still with us at the start of next season.

Kendo at what part are you at career wise.

Assistant manger is what it reads on the tin - takes orders and implements these orders from the manager.

Coach again what it says on the tin. Orders from manager on how the team train.

Assistant manager, coaches don't pick teams , don't chose tactics

Aye, so we're sold then? lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Kendo at what part are you at career wise.

Assistant manger is what it reads on the tin - takes orders and implements these orders from the manager.

Coach again what it says on the tin. Orders from manager on how the team train.

Assistant manager, coaches don't pick teams , don't chose tactics

He was so good that he was relieved of his duties.

Goodwin, last season, was our answer to Lee McCulloch and was shown up at centre back and defensive midfield. Some fans say changing his game has been tough for him, but all he had to change was to not be a cowardly hit headed liability. That really shouldn't have had any effect overall, aside from him being too slow to make tackles and not being able to foul anyone instead. I have stated in the past that he can play well, but it's just been so rare for at least a season now. Can he be a Mark Kerr type, run the central part of midfield and not be drawn to the wings and leave gaps behind or back in to the defenders trying to clear the lines...I doubt it!

Goodwin, last season, was our answer to Lee McCulloch and was shown up at centre back and defensive midfield. Some fans say changing his game has been tough for him, but all he had to change was to not be a cowardly hit headed liability. That really shouldn't have had any effect overall, aside from him being too slow to make tackles and not being able to foul anyone instead. I have stated in the past that he can play well, but it's just been so rare for at least a season now. Can he be a Mark Kerr type, run the central part of midfield and not be drawn to the wings and leave gaps behind or back in to the defenders trying to clear the lines...I doubt it!

Have to agree Goodwin was at fault for every goal lost.

Even though he was part of the management team as was pointed out above he could not pick his own position admitting ( I AM NOT COMFORTABLE AT CENTRE BACK - COPYRIGHT JIM GOODWIN 2015 )

Have to agree Goodwin was at fault for every goal lost.

Even though he was part of the management team as was pointed out above he could not pick his own position admitting ( I AM NOT COMFORTABLE AT CENTRE BACK - COPYRIGHT JIM GOODWIN 2015 )

I thought Cheesy was to blame for all the goals lost?