Steven Thompson Legend Simple

Probably over 95% + of Saints fans would like to see Thommo turn the corner and return to his form of previous seasons - but how realistic is that?

Possibly for the time being it might be for the best if he stepped back from a starting role and provided support and guidance from the sidelines for the younger attacking players (including Shankland if he comes on loan to Saints). No body questions Thompson's pedigree but age catches up with us all sooner or later.

He still has a lot to offer St Mirren - but not as a starting lone striker.

Last season was blighted by injury and now that he is striving to regain match fitness he is also apparently struggling to restore his confidence to where it was a couple of seasons ago.

Think too many are being quick to write Thommo off on the basis of last night's game. He has been a key player for us in recent years but appreciate that doesn't mean he is above criticism ....... bottom line is last night he was absolutely honking and it has proved that he can't play that lone striker role anymore.

Reckon he could form a decent partnership with Gallagher or Shankland if we can get him. As has been stated already he is 37 and realistically we can't expect a full season out of him. Still can't get my head round why we signed Gow and to be perfectly honest I am a bit concerned where the goals are going to come from this season.

Let's at least give Thommo a chance to turn it round .... he deserves that.

the playground bully and failed javelin competitor should accept he has had more than his due and move on

thanks for the already sullied memories

he should no longer be indulged as a player

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The microcosm of the fickle football fan. Unbelievable.

I'll bet you'll be one of the first cheering if the big man scores a couple and we beat Dumbarton next week.

Surely with forums such as this set up to indulge the likes of yourself we should likewise give Thommo, a 15+ goal a season striker for 3 out of the last 4 years, the opportunity to bow out from the game and the club he loves on a better note than last year's injury blighted relegation campaign?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll bet you'll be one of the first cheering if the big man scores a couple and we beat Dumbarton next week.

Surely with forums such as this set up to indulge the likes of yourself we should likewise give Thommo, a 15+ goal a season striker for 3 out of the last 4 years, the opportunity to bow out from the game and the club he loves on a better note than last year's injury blighted relegation campaign?

You missed out "ny".

Here to help.

Edited by FTOF

the playground bully and failed javelin competitor should accept he has had more than his due and move on

I'm so tempted to start a thread titled 'Thommo & Murray handsome basturts appreciation thread' - then ask the mods to only let you and Lord Lookatme post in it. The seethe would be magnificent.

Think too many are being quick to write Thommo off on the basis of last night's game. He has been a key player for us in recent years but appreciate that doesn't mean he is above criticism ....... bottom line is last night he was absolutely honking and it has proved that he can't play that lone striker role anymore.

Reckon he could form a decent partnership with Gallagher or Shankland if we can get him. As has been stated already he is 37 and realistically we can't expect a full season out of him. Still can't get my head round why we signed Gow and to be perfectly honest I am a bit concerned where the goals are going to come from this season.

Let's at least give Thommo a chance to turn it round .... he deserves that.

If we can't realistically expect a full season out of Thommo at his age, why did we re-sign him for a full season? It's not like he is helping out with coaching either. I think we are going to find that he could well be tired, frustrated and low on confidence when chances do fall to him this season.

hmmm i can actually guess who this alias is

oh lord....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

it is nothing more than another 1 who needs another alias to simply try and even up the comments on our cup winning scorer as i said before people have short memory's ffs all this after 1 game its disgusting

Some stupid Saints fan on Off the Ball saying he shouldn't have taken the penalty because he once played for them.

Just when you think people can't get more stupid, someone like that wanders along and simply takes your breath away.

How do these people manage to safely cross the street every day?

there is things like lollipop people and pedestrian crossings to assist.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

we can't afford to indulge people. Thomson should really have been shown the door after the spear chucking-any other business would have done so.

Now he gets to use up a salary to try and complete his "unfinished business". Ian Murray played a cute game with "will I sign him -won't i sign him" routine in pre-season and then promptly signed up his 2 former rangers team mates before doing practically any other business. It was a mistake on a number of levels

ETA, I'll always cheer the saints, but the "legend" of one man who played only a part in the cup win-no more a part than most- is tainted

Edited by beyond our ken

If we can't realistically expect a full season out of Thommo at his age, why did we re-sign him for a full season? It's not like he is helping out with coaching either. I think we are going to find that he could well be tired, frustrated and low on confidence when chances do fall to him this season.

To be honest, you may be right and that's why I'm worried about where our goals are coming from - Gow is hardly prolific. I'm hoping that Murray goes for a pairing up front of Thommo and say Gallagher and then uses width to get crosses into the box. Majority of Saints fans want Thommo to have a decent season and here's hoping he manages that

we can't afford to indulge people. Thomson should really have been shown the door after the spear chucking-any other business would have done so.

Now he gets to use up a salary to try and complete his "unfinished business". Ian Murray played a cute game with "will I sign him -won't i sign him" routine in pre-season and then promptly signed up his 2 former rangers team mates before doing practically any other business. It was a mistake on a number of levels

ETA, I'll always cheer the saints, but the "legend" of one man who played only a part in the cup win-no more a part than most- is tainted

aye away back tae yer cornflakes

only a part pfffft

tainted pffffft

the life of a fickle football fan

this threat should be closed now nothing but negative

hmmm i can actually guess who this alias is

oh lord....

You guessed wrong, plenty of people on here could confirm we are two different people entirely.

Why do you feel the need to have a personal go just because you disagree with me? are you like Pozbaird, FTOF and a couple of others who lack the intellect to actually have a discussion without it getting personal?

I think the main issue is that Thompson can't be our "main man" for a whole season.

I don't think he's "finished" but he has to be used when the game/opposition suits, and, to be fair to him, Friday night wasn't one of those games.

However it doesn't mean his overall poor performance, topped off with the penalty, can't be highlighted.

He will have his moment, I hope, but the manager has to get smart and choose when and who he teams Thompson up with.

You guessed wrong, plenty of people on here could confirm we are two different people entirely.

Why do you feel the need to have a personal go just because you disagree with me? are you like Pozbaird, FTOF and a couple of others who lack the intellect to actually have a discussion without it getting personal?

Nearly choked on my puffa puffa rice there....

What a post!

Oh! Seemed to touch a wee nerve there eh?

not at all,

I know LP well and thoroughly disagree with most of what he posts. But it is the mob mentality of many on here that annoys me, people who cant resist rounding on someone on a personal basis just because opinions differ. And when the bullying doesn't work they result to smart comments and false allegations to try and look as though they are winning an argument.

Why can't you and your mates discuss the topic, rather than the person posting it?