Latest Betting

The pairing you mentioned Stuart(Calderwood & Nicholl) would be ideal in my eyes however whoever is chosen would be a gamble ,but with the 2 names mentioned you would be reducing the gamble.

These guys are auld 'has,' or never 'was' Beens....

Lookmat all the jobs they were never considered for, and the ones they were sacked from!

We need someone more progressive, with proven experience. Notnan auld sergeant major type. Imo.

These guys are auld 'has,' or never 'was' Beens....

Lookmat all the jobs they were never considered for, and the ones they were sacked from!

We need someone more progressive, with proven experience. Notnan auld sergeant major type. Imo.

I'm not making a case for Calderwood or Nicholl to be involved at St Mirren, but Jimmy Nicholl especially has enjoyed a resurgence in his career of late as Assistant Manager to Michael O'Neill at Northern Ireland

I'm not making a case for Calderwood or Nicholl to be involved at St Mirren, but Jimmy Nicholl especially has enjoyed a resurgence in his career of late as Assistant Manager to Michael O'Neill at Northern Ireland

Is it likely he would dump the chance to go to France 2016 just to save our sorry asses from relegation? Somehow I cant see it.

Is it likely he would dump the chance to go to France 2016 just to save our sorry asses from relegation? Somehow I cant see it.

He could assist across both jobs. I don't think it would be a major conflict after all Ferguson and McLean were both assistants to Jock Stein. However I do think Caldwerwood and Nicholl would be expensive.

Forget Caldewood.

He would bankrupt us, given half a chance.

Let's try Nicholl and his own Assistant.

Hopefully he would clear out most of the present Squad in January.

Especially those shite players who wear non black boots.

Fannies the lot of them.

Forget Caldewood.

He would bankrupt us, given half a chance.

Let's try Nicholl and his own Assistant.

Hopefully he would clear out most of the present Squad in January.

Especially those shite players who wear non black boots.

Fannies the lot of them.

Shull Nicholl has a recent record as a manager at Cowdenbesth. He wasn't very good. He even claims that himself. They even lost 10-0 against Hearts under his leadership.

Some people are just built to be excellent Assistant Managers and some Managers can't function without the help of a superb Assistant. Think how much Souness or McLean were propped up by Walter Smith, or how both Fergie and Smith needed Archie Knox. Or indeed how Clough needed Taylor.

The last thing St Mirren need right now is a board pushing candidates for each post together.

We're at the point where any manager with any semblance of experience would be a big step up compared to our recent appointments. I can only speak for myself, but I just want someone in who has managed before, at a decent level, with a modicum of success. Someone who knows how to do the job, who isn't learning as he goes, who can manage people, as well as set tactics. The biggest attribute I would look for, however, is motivational skills.

In the predicament we currently find ourselves, we need someone to get the team motivated and playing, but also as a general point on management at our level, motivation is the most important thing for me. Players are very similar in ability for most teams in our league, and even in the top league. Getting them motivated and giving their all is often the difference between teams, regardless of any clever tactical arrangement.

I'd go for Butcher personally if he was available, as he ticks the boxes for me, and also managed to scour the lower and non-leagues in England and find some good players. He's a big personality and would kick arses.

We're at the point where any manager with any semblance of experience would be a big step up compared to our recent appointments. I can only speak for myself, but I just want someone in who has managed before, at a decent level, with a modicum of success. Someone who knows how to do the job, who isn't learning as he goes, who can manage people, as well as set tactics. The biggest attribute I would look for, however, is motivational skills.

In the predicament we currently find ourselves, we need someone to get the team motivated and playing, but also as a general point on management at our level, motivation is the most important thing for me. Players are very similar in ability for most teams in our league, and even in the top league. Getting them motivated and giving their all is often the difference between teams, regardless of any clever tactical arrangement.

I'd go for Butcher personally if he was available, as he ticks the boxes for me, and also managed to scour the lower and non-leagues in England and find some good players. He's a big personality and would kick arses.

I think Butcher would be a great choice for where we are right now if we can afford him.

Gus MacPherson would be another great choice if the board could work with him.

Maybe Stuart McCall if he wants to come.

Ian McCall would be a brilliant choice too if that was possible.

Any of those 4 would be great news right now - a very welcome Christmas present.

If we shitfest our way out of relegation then so be it.

It absolutely must not IMO be anyone currently at the club.

Edited by oaksoft

As the late John Denver what might of wrote

All his bags are packed, and now he’s done,

And Saints are looking for the right one

I’m glad that we all can say goodbye.
The dawn is breaking, it's early morn,

the taxi's waiting He's blowing his horn.
Already I'm so fearful I could die

It could be a dud ex blue,

what the f**k will we all do,

if we end up with Ferguson in chair?

We’ll be dropping a division down,

if we end up with that clown,

Oh Board tell me he’s not there!

I doubt Ferguson would get the job.

The BoD are Saints fans, they wouldn't appoint someone like this. They'd get too much stick.

Thank god some of the folk on here weren't around when Fergie got the job. A dirty so and so who cheated for a living on the park and gave big Gordon McQueen a real sore one in a cup-tie. There were murmurs on the terracing about not wanting him near the club but thankfully social media was still 25 years away !

Thank god some of the folk on here weren't around when Fergie got the job. A dirty so and so who cheated for a living on the park and gave big Gordon McQueen a real sore one in a cup-tie. There were murmurs on the terracing about not wanting him near the club but thankfully social media was still 25 years away !

LOL, well that seals it then. Darren Young it is. He was a right dirty bastard too.

Still Darren Young for me.

Successful lower league managerial record, experienced top flight player.

He's exactly the type we need.

He has had 18 months experience of a part-time team. Our last four managers all had little or no experience and look how that turned out. Time for someone experienced and experience of managing full time teams.

Out of that list if pick (if it was my choice) Malky McKay, Billy Davies, Steve Lomas or Alex McLeish who would be my preferred. They have all got good experience in Scotland, some down south and internationally also so they may have some good scouting contacts and all have the name to attract players to drag us back up the table.

Edit to add... Id like gary monk but no way he would come. Swansea pished thier ain bed when they sacked him.

Edited by LoganSMFC

He has had 18 months experience of a part-time team. Our last four managers all had little or no experience and look how that turned out. Time for someone experienced and experience of managing full time teams.

Any experienced managers will have a history of failure... Otherwise they wouldn't be available to St. Mirren!

Its a decent point billy.

But I'll wager that Barry Ferguson doesn't become a successful manager...

What promotions did Murray win?

I was responding to your description of Darren Young who you described as a "successful lower league manager". There was no mention of winning any promotions. Young will not be the new manager even less qualified for the post than Murray was.