Morton V St Mirren Championship 2/1/16

shull

By the time we next play them in April, there will have been Morton fans born.. Grown up and sat their driving test since they last beat us.

What a record.

Is their a longer unbeaten derby record in world football than the 17 years plus we currently have over them?

To be fair we have only played them on 10 occasions in that time.

In the context of 17 years, 10 isn't a lot.

But in the context of reality, it is. 10 games unbeaten is 10 games unbeaten.

If it was over 3 years would that make it more impressive? If so, why so? We have played them competitively 10 (ten) times and they haven't even beat us once.

Seventeen years for me makes it more impressive than if it was the same amount of games over a shorter time frame. This run transcends eras. Christ this run starts with Hendrie.

He, then Gus, then Danny, then Ian, then Alex... All of them contributed unbeaten matches to this run.

If we had been in the same division for 3 years and been a better team and achieved 10 unbeaten I would be less impressed. That would be short term dominance.

I prefer my dominance served long term.

Edited by TopCat

Imagine you'd only played 10 games against your local rivals in nearly 17 years because for the majority of that time you were too shite to play in the same league as them.

And then imagine that same team being unable to beat one of the worst teams your rivals have ever had.

How embarrassing.

Off the back of 1-4 at home to Livingston that was a huge result.

The manner of it (a derby, celebrating with the fans, coming a day after Rae gets his right hand man in) will hopefully inject a bit of confidence and we'll see improved performances.

I see that the manager has tweeted a photo of him and his mates (including Farrell) on a night-out with his mates #carnage. Fair to say we've got a change of personality from Ian Murray. Let's hope it works!

If it was over 3 years would that make it more impressive? If so, why so? We have played them competitively 10 (ten) times and they haven't even beat us once.

Seventeen years for me makes it more impressive than if it was the same amount of games over a shorter time frame. This run transcends eras. Christ this run starts with Hendrie.

He, then Gus, then Danny, then Ian, then Alex... All of them contributed unbeaten matches to this run.

If we had been in the same division for 3 years and been a better team and achieved 10 unbeaten I would be less impressed. That would be short term dominance.

I prefer my dominance long term.

Don't forget Coughlin. Imagine being two goals up at home against a team managed by him and still losing :lol:

We were shit as usual however we showed a far better attitude and actually played to a formation that everyone seemed to understand even if most were not very good at doing their job in that formation.

Started with a 4-5-1 and dropped Gallagher which was an improvement to start with. Howieson at least won a header now and then and actually put in a tackle. I thought the midfield, including Carswell, were absolutely dire in the first half. Stood off their man and had no courage whatsoever to try to create. At half-time 0-1 flattered us but Morton were truly shit if they were losing to us.

I reckon Rae fired a rocket up them at half time as they closed down a bit more and put in a few tackles in the second half. Agnew was a total joke today but Carswell had a half decent second half - probably the best I have seen him play but that isn't saying much.

Overall a great result, a better attitude and a formation that people understood. We now just need some decent players. But well done for the effort and the unexpected victory. Thanks. :)

PS Probably the quietest derby game I have ever attended. Hardly any singing and hardly a tackle worthy of the name. Not like 1/1/77 :)

It wasn't pretty, derby games tend not to be. But do you know what, that's some win for us. For once, we had shape about us. The back four, in particular Webster and Baird, were solid. Carswell, for all he is maligned, was excellent in the middle of the park. And I'll defend Cammy Howieson. I honestly think there is a decent creative player in there if he is played in the centre. Negatives were Langfield's awful kicking and Agnew. But we did more than enough to earn that win. And there were the little things - the way the players reacted at the final whistle, Webster in particular, and Rae and his coaching staff being on the park and mingling with the players as the fans celebrated.

Look, neutrals will look their nose down on this win without doubt. But that second half performance gave me genuine hope that we can build from here. We have a shit load of work to do to sort us out and this season is sadly burst. But if Rae can steady the ship and get us to mid table then next year could be a good one. My Aberlour is tasting a wee bit sweeter tonight.

We were unbeaten at Cappelow from 1983-1997 ohmy.png.

Think that run extended to over 20 games undefeated.

Not only was it an unbeaten run, most of the results were actually wins. There were very few draws.

The 83-97 run was 14 wins and 2 draws.

From 80-97 it was 18 wins, 3 draws with just one defeat.

Their record against us is truly embarrassing, and that's why they savour every crumb from the table.

I prefer my dominance served long term.

To out it into context, the last 10 teams to visit our home ground in the league have all left undefeated!

To out it into context, the last 10 teams to visit our home ground in the league have all left undefeated!

Ok that's not even right.

QOTS haven't came to Paisley yet. We have played 8 teams at home in the league this season.

Our last home game last season was against Motherwell... Which we won 2-1.

Try again?

Edited by TopCat

I would love to say we played well, played them off the park and won easy.

We didn't though. We were rubbish today. If any buddie is honest they will tell you we are a poor side, and we looked it again.

What we had was a bit of dig in Carswell and Webster to see out the win. The goal was a bit of luck, free kick rebound could have went anywhere, thankfully it landed on Shanks forehead. A yard here or there and the score would likely have been 0-0.

No point in getting deluded and pretending we are good. We aren't. We won't have to be to finish fourth though....

The bottom line is we won now if that is lady luck then I will take that any day of the week. RAE is working to keep us in the league I fully expect him to achieve his objective we have a shit team he is making the most of them. Points is the most important thing 6 from 9 is a good return. Yes we can see weakness however points are points so we must not grumble but be thankfull to Alex Rae and the team. Changes will be made when we can afford but make no mistake wins will bread confidence . Come On You Saints.