We Desperately Need New Players!

After watching yet another inept performance last night it is clear we need almost a whole team of new players. Of course that is unrealistic and it will take 2 or 3 seasons to do this. I think we need at least 3 new signings in this transfer window, players who will add a bit of fight and steel to the team, not lightweights like Mcmullan and Agnew. Our lack of fitness is also appalling but Rae needs a pre season to fix that. The remainder of this season is almost certainly about securing safety in the championship with a view to a promotion push next season. Let's start that process now with some fresh blood, i hope for our (the fans) sake that the BOD fund this.

After watching yet another inept performance last night it is clear we need almost a whole team of new players. Of course that is unrealistic and it will take 2 or 3 seasons to do this. I think we need at least 3 new signings in this transfer window, players who will add a bit of fight and steel to the team, not lightweights like Mcmullan and Agnew. Our lack of fitness is also appalling but Rae needs a pre season to fix that. The remainder of this season is almost certainly about securing safety in the championship with a view to a promotion push next season. Let's start that process now with some fresh blood, i hope for our (the fans) sake that the BOD fund this.

I would agree. Out of our current squad who would you keep? Possibly Webster, Naismith, Mallan, Gallagher and Goodwin. The rest can get to f**k. Not including Shankland - he's decent but isn't ours.

There is posts about Mallan being sold in Jan, Our whole midfield is not good enough including Mallan. He cant tackle, Out of 90mins you see him doing well in about 20 mins drifts in and out of games, I know he's still a youngster and he's scored a few decent goals, But he is no were near the finished article, As for Agnew, Carswell and McMullan, don't think I need to say much,

Edited by santaponsasaint

There is posts about Mallan being sold in Jan, Our whole midfield is not good enough including Mallan. He cant tackle, Out of 90mins you see him doing well in about 20 mins drifts in and out of games, I know he's still a youngster and he's scored a few decent goals, But he is no were near the finished article, As for Agnew, Carswell and McMullan, don't think I need to say much,

Is anyone the finished article at 19? Nope.

This is Mallan's first full season in senior football and he's our top scorer from midfield with 6 goals. He's not doing badly at all.

On the other hand Agnew is a terrible footballer and should never play for us again. I said that after the Dumbarton game and sadly he's had 3 more hopeless performances since then. Not sure how many more it will take for him to get mutually consented.

We badly need Goodwin back to give a bit of steel to the midfield and to give Mallan more freedom to go forward.

I'd keep Mallan the rest just aren't doing it. Mallan would flourish with a couple of experienced guys in there with him whereas we are looking to him to be the main man at the moment. Webster isn't providing what we thought he would and Langfield has had some dodgy moments too but i'd agree the midfield is the biggest worry.

I'd give the new manager time to lift the morale in the squad, while getting 3 or 4 new faces in to help with this. Last night we played a team who haven't lost a game since October - not an easy proposition. Rae will want to make us hard to beat, in the first instance, which we were for a long spell last night.

We undoubtedly need more experience and physicality in the midfield, which is where he should be looking to strengthen most. Too lightweight in the main, with not enough quality.

Edited by Soctty

Clearly, Murray could not select the kind of professional footballer needed at this level. Whilst a few teams might have a passenger, a Gow if you like, we clearly have too many passengers, guys who are simply not professional which means, even decent guys like Webster , start to struggle and look pish too . .

For years, guys on here have been quick to criticize guys like Dorman for shying away from tackles or not being good enough for us . Now we have a bunch of players who simply are not good enough and are unlikely to ever play as a decent team anytime soon . .

Clearly, Murray could not select the kind of professional footballer needed at this level. Whilst a few teams might have a passenger, a Gow if you like, we clearly have too many passengers, guys who are simply not professional which means, even decent guys like Webster , start to struggle and look pish too . .

For years, guys on here have been quick to criticize guys like Dorman for shying away from tackles or not being good enough for us . Now we have a bunch of players who simply are not good enough and are unlikely to ever play as a decent team anytime soon . .

From now on I shall refer to any wasters in the team as "a Gow" .

Last night McMullan was "a Gow".

You are quite correct in your initial assertion.

I sat there last night and looked at our midfield and thought, "What a lot of shite Murray left us with".

We need two midfielders. One defensive and one creative. Anything less and we're f**ked.

A striker would be nice too.

From now on I shall refer to any wasters in the team as "a Gow" .

Last night McMullan was "a Gow".

You are quite correct in your initial assertion.

I sat there last night and looked at our midfield and thought, "What a lot of shite Murray left us with".

We need two midfielders. One defensive and one creative. Anything less and we're f**ked.

A striker would be nice too.

And with Santa polarized for another year we will struggle to fill that january list.

Is anyone the finished article at 19? Nope.

This is Mallan's first full season in senior football and he's our top scorer from midfield with 6 goals. He's not doing badly at all.

On the other hand Agnew is a terrible footballer and should never play for us again. I said that after the Dumbarton game and sadly he's had 3 more hopeless performances since then. Not sure how many more it will take for him to get mutually consented.

We badly need Goodwin back to give a bit of steel to the midfield and to give Mallan more freedom to go forward.

I don't think Mallan has got what it takes to play at a higher level TC. He's certainly nowhere near ready for a move anywhere. He's too lightweight, too soft. Even comparing him to McGinn or McLean leaves him looking like a pale shadow. He's way behind others in the same age group as him who are stuck in Scotland, players like Scott Allan or Sam Nicholson - Allan wasn't good enough for the second tier in England and Nicholson by his own admission is nowhere near ready to move on. The temptation to cash in on any offer at all is quite obvious, but what club in Scotland is struggling to the extent that Mallan would be seen as an improvement to their midfield worth paying for?

I don't think Mallan has got what it takes to play at a higher level TC. He's certainly nowhere near ready for a move anywhere. He's too lightweight, too soft. Even comparing him to McGinn or McLean leaves him looking like a pale shadow. He's way behind others in the same age group as him who are stuck in Scotland, players like Scott Allan or Sam Nicholson - Allan wasn't good enough for the second tier in England and Nicholson by his own admission is nowhere near ready to move on. The temptation to cash in on any offer at all is quite obvious, but what club in Scotland is struggling to the extent that Mallan would be seen as an improvement to their midfield worth paying for?

Same age group? Allan is 24 and Mallan is 19! Can't say I know much about Nicholson, but he's also more than a year older than Mallan.

Mallan is better than McLean was at this age IMO. He's already in the Scotland u21 squad despite being eligible for the 19's, so he's rated at international level too.

He's had a tremendous first year in senior football in a struggling side. Goal of the season in Scotland and in double figures from midfield. If he keeps developing at his current rate I'm sure he will play at a higher level.

I'd keep Mallan the rest just aren't doing it. Mallan would flourish with a couple of experienced guys in there with him whereas we are looking to him to be the main man at the moment. Webster isn't providing what we thought he would and Langfield has had some dodgy moments too but i'd agree the midfield is the biggest worry.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, not for a minute, What am saying he is a luxury in the currant team, We need big midfield player plus maybe Goody back, We need players to protect him, But the currant midfielders we have are not good enough, But I think hopefully Mr Rae will know this and try to put it right, But we have been signing midgets for years whistling.gif

I'm not saying he's a bad player, not for a minute, What am saying he is a luxury in the currant team, We need big midfield player plus maybe Goody back, We need players to protect him, But the currant midfielders we have are not good enough, But I think hopefully Mr Rae will know this and try to put it right, But we have been signing midgets for years :whistle

You've made a right currant of yourself!

Mallan certainly isn't the problem, he's a superb prospect. The observation that he drifts in games is valid of the entire side.

Returning to the original post, I don't think our defence is too bad, we just do too much of it and often in deep positions. Agnew hasn't worked out and both parties should acknowledge this and find an amicable way to part, Gow must be moved on; if he's not bad for team morale he's terrible for fan morale even if we lose some modest money shifting him is the right decision. Where we'll find combative midfielders right now (other than return of Goody) I don't know but there must be one or two around.

Edited by Bloomsbury Bud

Same age group? Allan is 24 and Mallan is 19! Can't say I know much about Nicholson, but he's also more than a year older than Mallan.

Mallan is better than McLean was at this age IMO. He's already in the Scotland u21 squad despite being eligible for the 19's, so he's rated at international level too.

He's had a tremendous first year in senior football in a struggling side. Goal of the season in Scotland and in double figures from midfield. If he keeps developing at his current rate I'm sure he will play at a higher level.

Yeah Allan is older, but he wasn't when he headed to West Brom and never got a game. He was still better than Mallan then though. He's just not ready TC - nowhere near it. He probably shouldn't even be a first team regular at St Mirren at this stage in his career and probably wouldn't have been even in the side of 2 years ago.

Yeah Allan is older, but he wasn't when he headed to West Brom and never got a game. He was still better than Mallan then though. He's just not ready TC - nowhere near it. He probably shouldn't even be a first team regular at St Mirren at this stage in his career and probably wouldn't have been even in the side of 2 years ago.

I'm not saying he should move to England I don't really get the comparison with Allan. He played 8 games for United before moving down south.

As for him not being a first team regular, I dread to think where we would be without him. Stunning goal at Livi to win us a vital 3 points and a superb free kick at Kirkcaldy to get us a point. Six goals from midfield in half a season in a rubbish team.

If that's him when he's 'not ready', I'm looking forward to seeing how good he is when he is ready.