Sign in to follow this  
shull

Hibernian v St Mirren Championship 6/5/17

5 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

In the early 80s (Fergie had left) for 3 out of 4 seasons we were the 4th best supported team in Scotland being behind only the two cheeks and Aberdeen.

Wouldn't that be the tail end of the Fergie effect?

10 hours ago, shull said:

Imagine we had an average home support around 15000, like Hibs and Hearts. 

We would probably take at least 5000 fans away, whereas the Edinburgh Clubs struggle to have a 1000 travelling 

We are immense. 

I might start doing away days next season. 

:byebye

Shull we'll need a bigger ground :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, thekazakhsaint said:

Really? I was 66.47 GBP for the season, that sounds better value than 8.99 a month?

Just to clarify, St MIrren TV only offer prices per game or for the season.

Hibs TV offer per month and for the season.

If you're only needing this service for a short time the cost per month is better value than the price per game.

Also Hibs TV charge £59.99 for the season, better value?

Lovely weekend of weather looms ahead, positivity from all things St mirren What could possibly go wrong. I swear it will feel like relegation if things go against us. HOWEVER, I think we'll finish above Dumbarton, 7th. We'll look back and say , what was all that knicker wringing about ??

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I KNOW I’m biased but if St Mirren were to guarantee their safety this weekend then it must go down as one of the greatest escapes from relegation of all time. Jack Ross has done an incredible job over the past few months and a draw at Easter Road tomorrow will ensure Saints won’t be involved in the end-of-season play-offs. And they would have snapped your hand off for that scenario not so long ago.

It’s been a rollercoaster of a season. By the start of December they had still not won a league match and had claimed a total of four points from 14 games. They were rock bottom of the Championship, nine points behind Dunfermline in ninth and a further point behind Dumbarton in eighth. Perhaps more remarkably they were also 12 points behind Ayr United and 19 behind Raith Rovers, the two teams now sitting below them in the table. It has been a stunning turn-around.

It was a bit of a gamble by St Mirren chairman Gordon Scott to sack Alex Rae in September and bring in Ross, and then another one to allow his new manager to completely overhaul the team in January. Both now have to be considered risks that have paid off.

What has been most impressive is the manner in which Ross has led the team to the cusp of ensuring their Championship status for another season. Most managers would have taken a safety-first approach, constructing a team that was defensive and hard to beat in the first instance. You would have expected them to try to grind out results regardless of how it was achieved.

Instead, it has been the total opposite of that. In the last six games St Mirren have scored 20 goals and been winning games by playing open, expansive and entertaining football. There has been little sign of any nerves in how they have gone about their business, no evidence of players fearful of making mistakes or about the crowd getting on their back. Instead it has been free-flowing, attacking football. In recent weeks they have put six goals past Ayr, five past Raith and four past Morton, and that shows the attitude Ross has instilled in his players.

When I was relegated with St Mirren in 2015 it was the opposite. You almost became paralysed by fear that you were going to make the mistake that would cost the team another defeat. It was almost impossible to play with any freedom. And yet somehow Ross has removed that mentality from the dressing room and given them the confidence that they can beat teams even at the top end of the table. That’s been the most impressive thing for me.

The job is not quite done, of course. Were Raith to win against Ayr tomorrow, then Saints would need a draw at Hibs who will be looking to put on a show for their fans on trophy day. In that regard, the midfield battle between the McGinn brothers ought to be intriguing.

I wonder what John’s head will be like going into this one. Of course he wants to do as well as he can for Hibs but does he also want to be partly responsible for pushing his old club and his brother into the relegation play-offs? In the last match between the sides when Saints won 2-0 in Paisley, John had a stinker and openly admitted as much. You wonder how he will do on this occasion as you know that his brother Stephen will be right up for it. His presence in the last few months has been key as he’s the glue that holds the midfield together.

I only left St Mirren last summer and already there aren’t too many left from that squad still at the club and playing regularly. But one of those is Stevie Mallan who has been instrumental in the recent fight back. The third goal of his hat-trick last weekend was one of the best goals I have ever seen, a terrific strike from distance into the top corner. Like Lewis Morgan, Jack Baird and Kyle Magennis, Stevie has come through the ranks at the club and really blossomed this season.

One of the things I noticed about him when we played together that he was always spending extra hours practising his shooting and his free kicks. So it’s not just about having a gift. Young players need to work hard to improve their technique and Stevie has done that. It’s not by fluke that he scores a lot of goals from dead balls and from distance.

I have to also mention the St Mirren supporters who have been absolutely fantastic. The last few years have been fairly torrid for the club but they have backed their team to the hilt, most notably over the past few months when the team has needed them most. There will be 1800 of them at Easter Road tomorrow and hopefully they’ll see their team make it over the finishing line to safety.

Predictions for tomorrow:

1. Raith to fold under pressure - Raith 0 - Ayr 2

2. Saints to hold out for a hard fought draw 1-1 (Mackenzie to score)

3. Dumbarton (already safe) to lose at home to Falkirk 0-2

St Mirren to finish 7th on GD and be 3 points clear of 9th.

1 minute ago, southsidebud said:

4. Stephen McGinn to have John McGinn in his pocket again.

5. Leading to 1800 buddies singing..Ouuuuur McGinn is better than yours, Our McGinn is, our McGinn is, Our McGinn's better than yours!

Edited by irvine_buddie

Most excited i've been for a saints game in ages...more so than the league cup final...i think....looking forward to a full house, big away support, loads of singing, sunny day, saints staying up...confident of a point at least.

Really tough game to call.  Who knows how Hibs will approach this, they've not had anything to play for in their last two games against Raith and Ayr.  Yet they've won them both, doing us a big favour in the process.  You think they will take this one at least as seriously as they did the previous two, perhaps even more so given the huge home crowd that's going to be in Easter Road tomorrow.

Couple of Hibee fans on PNB seem confident they'll win, and why wouldn't they be.  I think we'll do enough to get a wee point though.

1-1

2 hours ago, Brian1877 said:

Most excited i've been for a saints game in ages...more so than the league cup final...i think....looking forward to a full house, big away support, loads of singing, sunny day, saints staying up...confident of a point at least.

Spot on mate, currently sat in Jersey Airport en route to Edinburgh, beers flowing and not due to get into Edinburgh till 08.30 tonight, could get messy :P

^^Amen ^^

2 hours ago, Mr Zo said:

Have we sold these last 50 tickets yet? Would be great to get something iut from thr club this afternoon confirming its a sell out.

Only one more hour of work then it's the weekend.

COYS!

:lol:

On 04/05/2017 at 11:10 AM, faraway saint said:

Let us know how you get on. :clapping

Quick Question(s)

1. Did you bother to create a bogus address or just use your actual one?

2. Is the £8.99 a one off or have you got to set up a direct debit?

Thanks in advance :)

Laid out on top of the spare bed , match ticket check - St Mirren top Check - St Mirren scarf check -  Apartment recept for one night Edinburgh check. - over night bag check - Bottle Champagne check. 8am return ferry ticket check - full tank petrol check. COYS!