Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

Guest TPAFKATS
Gus was a good manager for St Mirren.   Dour aye but effective.   He simply overstayed his welcome for a vociferous few who like to see nice bright shiny new things on the next level - whatever that is.  Saints have not been so close to a next level since Gus departed, to my mind.
I can't be arsed digging out the list and naming the particular deid-club players involved in that cup debacle, but St Mirren were not up against an honest team, in a fair match.  A good comparison would be: being shocked that a 9 man St Mirren team couldnae be lucky enough to beat Johnstone Burgh.  Is it really that hard to believe could happen...?
On that day, Saints were up against a team packed with dishonestly overpaid (and  not notified to the SFA) players who would not otherwise have been playing for the now extinct club.
Here is the list of some of those who were receiving illegal payments.  Look for yourself to assess which players were the cheats who won that cup, that day.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34118126
The old firm always have more resources than us, however we occasionally pick up a win or a draw against the two of them.

The ebt stuff is pretty irrelevant to us losing with a 2 man advantage. Even without that, they would still have been able afford a much better squad than us.

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

The old firm always have more resources than us, however we occasionally pick up a win or a draw against the two of them.

The ebt stuff is pretty irrelevant to us losing with a 2 man advantage. Even without that, they would still have been able afford a much better squad than us.

Agree about the EBT.All that tax free dosh they had stuffed in their socks and jocks should have slowed them down :P

53 minutes ago, RussellV1 said:

if we’re going to use one freak game to judge the Gus MacPherson era on then how about we use this one

The performance that day was incredible. With the Great Escape at Motherwell it took us going 2-0 down before turning in a great performance. On this day, we were on our game at the start. All played brilliant but I remember a certain Jack Ross standing out that day.

It's even more of a concern now. Gus MacPherson, who was supposed to be in an advisory role and not involved with team matters is already taking to part in the training sessions. Hmmmmm. Not going to interfere with team matters. How's that going?

[emoji23][emoji23]

Get a grip of yourself bud

You have got absolutely no clue as to how it’s going so why don’t you just give it a rest.

Thought it would take atleast a defeat or two before ones like you started pish like this that gus is interfering where he isn’t wanted by Oran.

Never underestimate the morons of smfc

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

You know this how? 

Let me see.... Oh, I don't know. You tell me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45593963

"He got straight out on the training pitch this morning to get in among it," Kearney said.

"I think Gus will be worth his weight in gold - not just from a coaching and ears-and-eyes point of view but also to other facets like player recruitment. The insight and experience it will bring will be brilliant."

2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Let me see.... Oh, I don't know. You tell me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45593963

"He got straight out on the training pitch this morning to get in among it," Kearney said.

"I think Gus will be worth his weight in gold - not just from a coaching and ears-and-eyes point of view but also to other facets like player recruitment. The insight and experience it will bring will be brilliant."

1 minute ago, JJ McG said:

Believe Kearney gave an interview saying Gus was worth his weight in gold and had been straight out on the training pitch...

1 minute ago, Mykey said:
5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:
You know this how? 

Widely reported had his tracksuit on and at training ground on his first day, quote from OK

FFS! :lol:

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I thought the delegating thing was more him not being used to having folk to delegate to as he'd had to do it all himself before, rather than him being reluctant to let folk get on with things.

Indeed.

That's exactly what he said.

I'm not sure how anyone could read it otherwise.

44 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

In reality, our mistake was that we DID calm things down.

We'd been punting the ball long all afternoon and pressing them then all of a sudden starting trying to keep possession when they went down to 9 men.

This isn't just hindsight, I was yelling "get it up the fcuking park" for the last 20 mins. But we never did.

We got hit on the break by Kenny Miller & Steven Naismith, 2 of the best Scotland forwards in the past generation.

No shatting of pants.

Yeah we lost possession at the edge of the box with 5 men inside trying to pass the ball into the net, having abandoned the tictacs that got us to the edge of winning the game, who knows if it was the players or the manager to blame but it was Gus who got the shat tipped on him.

Aye right. I'm not alone in condemning MacPherson during the latter part of his tenure. We all appreciate where we were when he took the reigns but it doesn't excuse what we were fed towards the end. And we haven't even touched on what a good job he did at QotS.

As I said, what we were fed at the end were our highest and second highest league positions in a generation, first League Cup final in 2 generations, first Scottish Cup semi final in a generation and biggest league win over Celtic in over 100 years.

I’m quite happy to “excuse” it all!

And, yes, please tell me all about how Gus’ tenure at QoS destroyed your soul! [emoji1]

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

In reality, our mistake was that we DID calm things down.

We'd been punting the ball long all afternoon and pressing them then all of a sudden starting trying to keep possession when they went down to 9 men.

This isn't just hindsight, I was yelling "get it up the fcuking park" for the last 20 mins. But we never did.

We got hit on the break by Kenny Miller & Steven Naismith, 2 of the best Scotland forwards in the past generation.

No shatting of pants.

As I saw it at the time, the problem was that everything was getting played in front of the Rangers' defence. We played narrow rather than stretching them. Dargo was on the park minutes when he drew in Wilson. At that point Craig should have been on the shoulder of the even less mobile Weir. But we started pushing through the middle instead of giving our two front men a chance. Higdon and Dargo,  might have made more of an impact IF they had decent service down the flanks.

18 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Technical Director my arse then ! Why not just say coach or assistant manager and be done with it. Basically a direct replacement for Jackson.

Feck me, is MacPherson going to get a ridiculous suntan, have an affair with his best pals wife and fight with Cammy Smith? It's certainly unusual for that to be part of his job description, but I suppose you never know.

4 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

As I saw it at the time, the problem was that everything was getting played in front of the Rangers' defence. We played narrow rather than stretching them. Dargo was on the park minutes when he drew in Wilson. At that point Craig should have been on the shoulder of the even less mobile Weir. But we started pushing through the middle instead of giving our two front men a chance. Higdon and Dargo,  might have made more of an impact IF they had decent service down the flanks.

FFS, still talking "tactics" after 8 years? :lol:

10 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

As I said, what we were fed at the end were our highest and second highest league positions in a generation, first League Cup final in 2 generations, first Scottish Cup semi final in a generation and biggest league win over Celtic in over 100 years.

I’m quite happy to “excuse” it all!

And, yes, please tell me all about how Gus’ tenure at QoS destroyed your soul! emoji1.png

2008-09. 11th in the premier league ON GOAL DIFFERENCE to 12th.

2009-10. 10th. WITH EVEN LESS POINTS THAN THE PREVIOUS CAMPAIGN.

If you thought the Celtic result was fully down to Gus' tactical genius I think you might be 5p short of the pound.

Not mine but the Doonhamer fans were happy to see the back of him.