Sign in to follow this  
shull

Alex Salmond Arrested and Charged

Prosecution must think they have a strong case due to him being charged. I will wait till the court case before passing judgment. 
Mibees but not necessarily so given how cases of sexual assault are taken forward or were in recent years.

As you say though, better to wait and see given contempt laws.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Prosecution must think they have a strong case due to him being charged. I will wait till the court case before passing judgment. 

We don't even know if the charges will ever see the light of day, they might never go to trial. Just because someone is charged in Scotland is zero indicator of their being a strong prosecution case. About 13% of all cases are dropped before trial and of those that do go to trial almost 25% see charges reduced. Salmond will have a top legal team and will know the system inside out. It's an uphill battle from day 1 for the alleged victims unfortunately.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

Absolutely, I have mentioned previously 'cant remember if this or another thread' that Politicians (in my opinion) should be excluded from becoming one by virtue of the fact that they wish to become one.  All Politicians should be chosen  for the good they can do for the public and not the good they can do for themselves.  I appreciate this does not universally apply .... but to many are self serving and simply there for the glory or the dosh and don't give a hoot about poor Joe / Josephine public.

I’m sure Billy Connolly won’t mind that you stole his quote and didn’t credit him.

4 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:
5 hours ago, jaybee said:
Absolutely, I have mentioned previously 'cant remember if this or another thread' that Politicians (in my opinion) should be excluded from becoming one by virtue of the fact that they wish to become one.  All Politicians should be chosen  for the good they can do for the public and not the good they can do for themselves.  I appreciate this does not universally apply .... but to many are self serving and simply there for the glory or the dosh and don't give a hoot about poor Joe / Josephine public.

Seriously! did I? which bit .........totally unintentional, quite clearly great MINDS think alike and we shall ignore the expected retorts of 'fools seldom differ, THANK YOU kindly

I’m sure Billy Connolly won’t mind that you stole his quote and didn’t credit him.

13 hours ago, Kemp said:

You do realise you've just described exactly how it works already? :huh:

No because at the moment they WANT to do it, as a career... that automatically excludes them! 

On 1/24/2019 at 11:05 PM, Ayrshire Saints said:

We don't even know if the charges will ever see the light of day, they might never go to trial. Just because someone is charged in Scotland is zero indicator of their being a strong prosecution case. About 13% of all cases are dropped before trial and of those that do go to trial almost 25% see charges reduced. Salmond will have a top legal team and will know the system inside out. It's an uphill battle from day 1 for the alleged victims unfortunately.

You've already discredited any not guilyt verdicts that might might result from the proceedings.

5 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

You've already discredited any not guilyt verdicts that might might result from the proceedings.

Eh ? Merely pointing out that just because someone is charged doesn't mean he will stand trial for those particular allegations is discrediting any possible not guilty verdict. Not following you at all here. It will be extremely difficult for the prosecution to get a guilty verdict but that is statistically the case in most cases if this nature which is difficult for the alleged victims as I said.