Qarabag make offer for Hladky

The only club in the UK prepared to discuss paying the development fee for John McGinn were Hibs. You can't sell a good young player for £1m+ to a Scottish championship club (as Hibs were when they signed McGinn) unless you have clubs competing to sign a player who still has a year or two left on his contract. McGinn was offered a new deal and wouldn't sign one and was out of contract and 1 UK club and 1 US club were the sum total of clubs prepared to part with any cash to sign him at that time.

Now now, don’t let the facts get in the way of kemp’s negative drivel

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

A lot will depend on whether he has a bid-based release clause in his contract.

Yeah. You'd think the moneyball approach would depend on us not putting such clauses in (or not low-value ones, at least), but this is St Mirren. The other thing is how much of any fee will be due to this slightly seedy-sounding sports company that allegedly lined up the transfer.

In any event, getting money for a guy we got for nothing in January will be good business. I reckon (official prediction based on nothing) he'll go for £350k.

22 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Yeah. You'd think the moneyball approach would depend on us not putting such clauses in (or not low-value ones, at least), but this is St Mirren. The other thing is how much of any fee will be due to this slightly seedy-sounding sports company that allegedly lined up the transfer.

In any event, getting money for a guy we got for nothing in January will be good business. I reckon (official prediction based on nothing) he'll go for £350k.

Wouldn't be worth selling at that amount,  and supposedly he sees Scotland as a stepping stone to the English league's if the papers are to be believed (big IF). His saves helped us secure our Premiership status and the extra cash that brings- it would be a travesty if we lose our arguably best player for button's. 

1 hour ago, Magic Monkey said:

Not having a go at all mate, but I do despair at how often people now have to use the term “good business”.

Remember when it used to be about having the best possible team on the park?

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Not having a go at all mate, but I do despair at how often people now have to use the term “good business”.

Not really as we've always been a selling team.

Not a lot we can do about, too many big fish I'm afraid. 

24 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Point taken about the cliche, and I'd sooner keep him than sell him, but that sort of cash could really improve our wages budget for the next season. What if that cash helped get Isma, Morgan and a genuine 15-goal striker on board?

Yes, Hladky (or any good keeper) is vital, but we have never, and never will, be the sort of club that turns down that amount of cash - especially not for a player we got for nothing a few months ago.

27 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

3 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Point taken about the cliche, and I'd sooner keep him than sell him, but that sort of cash could really improve our wages budget for the next season. What if that cash helped get Isma, Morgan and a genuine 15-goal striker on board?

Yes, Hladky (or any good keeper) is vital, but we have never, and never will, be the sort of club that turns down that amount of cash - especially not for a player we got for nothing a few months ago.

I know what you are both saying and yes, we’ve always been a selling club, but in the old days we enjoyed those better players for longer. Players back then were prepared to sign longer contracts because they didn’t have the power. Nowadays as soon as anyone shows the slightest bit of promise, they’re off either at the end or near the end of their inevitably short contract. 

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I know what you are both saying and yes, we’ve always been a selling club, but in the old days we enjoyed those better players for longer. Players back then were prepared to sign longer contracts because they didn’t have the power. Nowadays as soon as anyone shows the slightest bit of promise, they’re off either at the end or near the end of their inevitably short contract. 

We've still got Josh Heaton for two more years - what more do you want?!

I do agree with everything you're saying, though.

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Can't fault the players for wanting to earn more. Clubs show little loyalty

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Hope whatever will be happens quickly and is not drawn out to the league kicks off.
Last thing we need is the 1st choice goalie to bail at the end of the transfer window. Or have a guy down tools as he wants to be elsewhere and thinks we are asking too much.

Agree with the first part of your post.

Re the second part though, for some reason Hladky doesn’t strike me as that type of guy. I have absolutely no basis for saying that though. 🤣

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

The club off the back of the money received so far for John McGinns move to Villa, should hopefully put us in a financial position, where we stand by our players value with not the need to sell unless someone matches his valuation?

Jack Ross asked the board to hold on to Morgan the summer of 2017 for the season, as he seen more value of him being part of his team and help challenge for the title than sell him. We ended up with a really good win win situation in the end, where he contributed massively and he probably went for no less than he would have that summer of 2017.

Sign him on an extension if he is willing to, drop in some realistic clauses and send Qarabag on their way unless they are willing to pay a less insulting fee.

1 hour ago, kevo_smfc said:

GS spoke a few weeks ago to the press about a contract extension. I wonder how far along these negotiations are, if they have already started. This should be high on the priority list.

He ain’t signing a new contract with a club that can offer 6X his salary chasing him. 

That'll only change if interest cools on him. 

Hladky will be away either this summer for a fee or next summer for nothing. Likely sign a PCA in January if he doesn’t go now.

Dilemma for the board, take the money or keep the player for a year and then lose him for nothing.

If he can be kept, we should do so unless:

i) the amount offered outweighs the risks of financial loss through being relegated and/or the board thinks we have sufficient quality to stay up even if he leaves;

ii) we think we can source someone of the same quality in time for the start of the league season.

Obviously immaterial if any release clause he might have is so low that any serious suitors will meet it with ease.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

There were days when we broke the Scottish transfer market. There were other days when we out bid both Celtic and Aberdeen to bring back Tony Fitzpatrick.