Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
ALBIONSAINT

Why has the director of football failed to impress some fans?

Recommended Posts

Whatever everyone thinks, JG is only in the door one month and he is not signing diddies for 6th tier in England...

The strategy has changed and JG says the backroom team are working well behind him..

I for one am delighted by that and the quality of who we are signing at this stage...

Okay, it is not Messi and Van Dyke - but it is also not Heaton, Kp, Coulson NBM etc too... 

Well Done Gus. Tony and the new management team - now lets get some points on the board . . .    :turtle

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy on reflection with the business done so far, on paper at least. A healthy mix of experience and youth and almost all players who have played at very decent levels previously. 

If we can add another 3 or 4 of the level we've brought in so far, it will be very encouraging. 

For me, add a left back, centre half, right sided winger and centre forward and we'll be just about there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stlucifer said:
2 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

 


I haven’t elevated anyone’s position! GLS did that!

IMO Gus did a fantastic job when he was manager.

As for now, the only person whose opinion counts is GLS. You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. GLS.

As for being angry, Gus never came across as angry to me.

You appear to be the angry wee man here! emoji1.pngemoji12.png

 

He kept us in the top league. I never said he didn't. I did say that, to the end of his time, he came across as an angry wee man and his style of football was driving folk away.

As for me? Not angry at all. Just amazed at the number of people being duped here. isn't it convenient that, just when people are questioning the merits of a DoF we suddenly have Gus' name mentioned in relation to a signing? And even that was qualified by the manager as saying he asked his folk about the lad.

Does this mean that NONE of the rest that joined in the last two windows have had anything to do with Gus?

Edited 2 hours ago by stlucifer

If you had perhaps read a little further it was stated that the club after having the lad watched for a considerable time tried to sign him, but a fee was required and Hull payed said fee, JG apparently has connection at Hull and a loan deal was arranged.   In my opinion this is justification that Gus is doing his job, personally was never a great fan of Gus stylle football, but he does know a player and has found many over the years.  Put it this way, if he lived till he was three hundred and fifty, he would never have unearthed as many duffers as Alan Stubbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jaybee said:

If you had perhaps read a little further it was stated that the club after having the lad watched for a considerable time tried to sign him, but a fee was required and Hull payed said fee, JG apparently has connection at Hull and a loan deal was arranged.   In my opinion this is justification that Gus is doing his job, personally was never a great fan of Gus stylle football, but he does know a player and has found many over the years.  Put it this way, if he lived till he was three hundred and fifty, he would never have unearthed as many duffers as Alan Stubbs.

So. In conclusion. It was JG that  got the deal done and the only input from GM was to say, "Oh yes. I've seen that lad".?

Alright. I take it back. Gus ISN'T a god

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

So. In conclusion. It was JG that  got the deal done and the only input from GM was to say, "Oh yes. I've seen that lad".?

Alright. I take it back. Gus ISN'T a god

FFS!

Take a look at yourself.😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I have.

I'm Feckin' gorgeous!

Stupid statements deserve stupid relies!

I’m taking your last line to mean that, ”I’m Feckin gorgeous!” is an original lie that you are re-lieing about.  :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, antrin said:

I’m taking your last line to mean that, ”I’m Feckin gorgeous!” is an original lie that you are re-lieing about.  :P

 

That and the fact you make stupid statements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you making yet more negative assumptions? Good our new German winger got international clearance eh... 
He wasn't talking to you!

Apparently that's a new rule for contributing on a public discussion forum!

Or so you told me.

Hypocrisy yet again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For god sake give Gus a break. He is probably not on a huge wage he is trying to get players through the door. Instead of giving Gus a hard time why not the players agents there the money grabbed that have ruined football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WeeBud said:

If only there was a league table for stupid statements!!

No point. Antrin would be on ten in a row if not more.

Edited to say:

You're right Bud. What am I thinking of? There are far more stupid statements on this forum than Antrim could ever write.

Edited by stlucifer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, antrin said:

For St Lucifer

And so GS's wish has been fulfilled surely?  :o

These new players have not been rushed in from scratch.  They were scouted in advance.  There was no rush to have them in place for the League Cup.  But now they are here... and it's still not Xmas.  Happy days.

McGinn and Goodwin could have been more measured with their quotes but they were POSITIVE about the situation.

 

If you don't believe them, then fine - I now fully accept why you haven't believed me.

 

QED

Great concept that falls down on the fact that the have all been rushed in a panic on the eve of our first league game when they have ALL been available for over a month! For a club like us what would you say getting four players in a day before our first league game looks like...?

a carefully considered plan.... lol

anyway lets hope they have something about them, and keep me from getting to a pub on Leith Walk before five o clock!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Right own up, who has Gus's gun?

That must be the reason, Gus didn't have a gun at there head to force them to sign months ago.

Or is it, many players have different options now and will wait before signing on the possibility of a better offer. So in some cases we lose out, but others we win.

What is it with you guys?

Seriously. Can Gus do no wrong in your eyes? If we do sign someone it's all down to your hero. If we don't sign someone it's all down to bad agents or greedy footballers. There has only been ONE official mention of Gus being remotely involved in a signing and even that was qualified by the manager saying he consulted with people he trusted first. IF he has had a hand in the new signings then WHY is it that we are so far behind other clubs without a DoF? They haven't had the same problem dealing with bad agents or greedy players.

No matter how you look at it, it still looks like the position is an unnecessary expenditure for a club our size. That money could have paid for one, or possibly two new signings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Right own up, who has Gus's gun?

That must be the reason, Gus didn't have a gun at there head to force them to sign months ago.

Or is it, many players have different options now and will wait before signing on the possibility of a better offer. So in some cases we lose out, but others we win.

It’s a difficult one, agents fill players heads with a lot of nonsense about how talented and popular they are, then the big clubs don’t materialise and they have to look at plan B (we are plan B and sometimes C and D)

its a funny old game, I watched the Luton v Middlesbrough game last night and there is Coulson starting for Middlesbrough, won a penalty and looked every inch an English championship player! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ALBIONSAINT said:

It’s a difficult one, agents fill players heads with a lot of nonsense about how talented and popular they are, then the big clubs don’t materialise and they have to look at plan B (we are plan B and sometimes C and D)

its a funny old game, I watched the Luton v Middlesbrough game last night and there is Coulson starting for Middlesbrough, won a penalty and looked every inch an English championship player! 

Coulson is a good player who will only get better!

with us Stubbs basically lumped all his hope on him, overburdening the lad as he had next to no good experienced pros around him to let him develop. We were a team of non leaguers, loanees and free agents who had either never played first team, pro full time football, or hadnt kicked a ball in months. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see Coulson in the EPL soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Right own up, who has Gus's gun?

That must be the reason, Gus didn't have a gun at there head to force them to sign months ago.

Or is it, many players have different options now and will wait before signing on the possibility of a better offer. So in some cases we lose out, but others we win.


It’s “their”

#thickasfcuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What is it with you guys?
Seriously. Can Gus do no wrong in your eyes? If we do sign someone it's all down to your hero. If we don't sign someone it's all down to bad agents or greedy footballers. There has only been ONE official mention of Gus being remotely involved in a signing and even that was qualified by the manager saying he consulted with people he trusted first. IF he has had a hand in the new signings then WHY is it that we are so far behind other clubs without a DoF? They haven't had the same problem dealing with bad agents or greedy players.
No matter how you look at it, it still looks like the position is an unnecessary expenditure for a club our size. That money could have paid for one, or possibly two new signings.


You have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Your opinion on the matter is totally irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

 


You have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Your opinion on the matter is totally irrelevant.

 

And yours is valid?

What an arrogant person.

I am comparing clubs performances in the transfer market.  This is a discussion forum and I am looking at the evidence on show. It's results that matter. And ours compares unfavourably with clubs who don't employ a DoF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Great concept that falls down on the fact that the have all been rushed in a panic on the eve of our first league game when they have ALL been available for over a month! For a club like us what would you say getting four players in a day before our first league game looks like...?

a carefully considered plan.... lol

anyway lets hope they have something about them, and keep me from getting to a pub on Leith Walk before five o clock!

I never suggested it was a plan or a concept. (and it’s certainly not your/st Lucifer's speciality - an assumption).

it was the reality that St Mirren (or any other normal club) have to play in a buyer’s market, where players have a window of choice and they don’t need to know-tow to the panic that your imagination has created.

the players may have been available, but the precise point is that they were playing that availability for their own best purposes.

 

I’m glad their choices coincided eventually with Saints.  The players market is a reality that needn’t fit with your assumptions.

Edited by antrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

No point. Antrin would be on ten in a row if not more.

Edited to say:

You're right Bud. What am I thinking of? There are far more stupid statements on this forum than Antrim could ever write.

Make up your mind!

You’ve edited to clarify your thinking, hence I know it isn't me -  so I suppose, as usual, you’re assuming that it’s Antrim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, antrin said:

I never suggested it was a plan or a concept. [and it’s certainly not your/st Lucifer's speciality - an assumption).

it was the reality that St Mirren (or any other normal club) have to play in a buyer’s market, where players have a window of choice and they don’t need to know-tow to the panic that your imagination has created.

the players may have been available, but the precise point is that they were playing that availability for their own best purposes.

 

I’m glad their choices coincided eventually with Saints.  The players market is a reality that needn’t fit with your assumptions.

Again I think you are not getting it as signing four players the day befire your first league game is the very definition of PANIC..!

why have other clubs in our league and below, who dont have the luxury/added cost of a DoF, been able to do the bulk of their business weeks ago? Did they panic and make signings over a number of weeks, and in advance of their competitive games?

i hope they can get us a result or at least hopeful performance today. If not then a real panic will ensue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...