Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Heading ban for under 12's could be in force in Scotland within weeks.

On BBC Breakfast Show this morning, they were interviewing young kids and coach at St.Mirren's academy in Ralston. 

Was on news again at 10am. 

Edited by pod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not necessarily a bad thing. It’ll mean the kids have to learn how to pass and play under pressure instead of playing “lump it tae f**k” tactics. Let the under 12s work on core skills like passing, control, touch, then let the rest come later once they’ve got a good base to develop on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Heading ban for under 12's could be in force in Scotland within weeks.
On BBC Breakfast Show this morning, they were interviewing young kids and coach at St.Mirren's academy in Ralston. 
Was on news again at 10am. 


Just a extension to the ban from the SYFA's ban on Under 11's that was implemented from October.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Not necessarily a bad thing. It’ll mean the kids have to learn how to pass and play under pressure instead of playing “lump it tae f**k” tactics. Let the under 12s work on core skills like passing, control, touch, then let the rest come later once they’ve got a good base to develop on.

Aye, I can see it now, great cross, wee centre forward just looks at it, WTF was the cry from the touchline, "I'm no allowed to header it, sorry" 😂 Most players these days don't know how to header a ball anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, faraway saint said:

Aye, I can see it now, great cross, wee centre forward just looks at it, WTF was the cry from the touchline, "I'm no allowed to header it, sorry" 😂 Most players these days don't know how to header a ball anyway.

If youth development was implemented properly and started off with 3v3, 5v5, smaller pitches and so forth, the need for headers would be non existent. Some of the best nations in the world seem to cope fine by barely having the need to head the ball in the younger years. There is plenty to gain from this aside from the head injury issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

If youth development was implemented properly and started off with 3v3, 5v5, smaller pitches and so forth, the need for headers would be non existent. Some of the best nations in the world seem to cope fine by barely having the need to head the ball in the younger years. There is plenty to gain from this aside from the head injury issues.

Do they? 

Who, out of interest? 

Barely is open to lots of interpretation right enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Do they? 

Who, out of interest? 

Barely is open to lots of interpretation right enough.

Take Belgium for instance. Youth development is about ball skills, close control, quick movement, swift passing. The development takes place on small pitches with small teams, only gradually getting bigger through the age groups. The focus is about the skills mentioned above, the footwork, not the headwork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Take Belgium for instance. Youth development is about ball skills, close control, quick movement, swift passing. The development takes place on small pitches with small teams, only gradually getting bigger through the age groups. The focus is about the skills mentioned above, the footwork, not the headwork.

Strangely enough this might inadvertently be the way the Scottish players finally start to catch up with the rest of the world.

No children should ever be subjected to heading a football. Personally I would like to see this extended to 18 years of age but it's a start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Not necessarily a bad thing. It’ll mean the kids have to learn how to pass and play under pressure instead of playing “lump it tae f**k” tactics. Let the under 12s work on core skills like passing, control, touch, then let the rest come later once they’ve got a good base to develop on.

Disagree. KIds football would be better off teaching the defenders to play it long. There is no requirement to head the ball. All the emphasis on trying to get kids to play out from the back is where Scottish football is going wrong.

I totally agree that ball control, touch, skill, etc are key - but the emphasis should be on getting the ball forward as often and as quickly as possible and allowing the attacking and creative players to develop their control, skill and touch... not the defenders!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They may as well ban corner kicks as well. No point in having them if no one's allowed to head the ball. 

Seems bizarre to me that rugby union players should be allowed to continue tackling opponents since colliding head-first into another burly human being has got to be more damaging than heading an air-filled bag of leather.

Ach f*ck it, let's just ban everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They may as well ban corner kicks as well. No point in having them if no one's allowed to head the ball. 
Seems bizarre to me that rugby union players should be allowed to continue tackling opponents since colliding head-first into another burly human being has got to be more damaging than heading an air-filled bag of leather.
Ach f*ck it, let's just ban everything.
I'm sure this doesn't happen in rugby union at under 12 level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They may as well ban corner kicks as well. No point in having them if no one's allowed to head the ball. 
Seems bizarre to me that rugby union players should be allowed to continue tackling opponents since colliding head-first into another burly human being has got to be more damaging than heading an air-filled bag of leather.
Ach f*ck it, let's just ban everything.

Indeed.

The ‘Glasgow kiss’ is now under threat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Take Belgium for instance. Youth development is about ball skills, close control, quick movement, swift passing. The development takes place on small pitches with small teams, only gradually getting bigger through the age groups. The focus is about the skills mentioned above, the footwork, not the headwork.

But, wait, they are allowed to head the ball? 

I wasn't asking about smaller pitches etc, mainly the subject of this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Strangely enough this might inadvertently be the way the Scottish players finally start to catch up with the rest of the world.

No children should ever be subjected to heading a football. Personally I would like to see this extended to 18 years of age but it's a start.

Dearie me, you really have no idea about football. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

They may as well ban corner kicks as well. No point in having them if no one's allowed to head the ball. 

Seems bizarre to me that rugby union players should be allowed to continue tackling opponents since colliding head-first into another burly human being has got to be more damaging than heading an air-filled bag of leather.

Ach f*ck it, let's just ban everything.

Given how often we win headers from our corners i thought we had already banned it    :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As was stated earlier in the thread the SFA unilaterally banned heading in U11 age groups last year this is nothing new in Scotland. Also banned up to 15yo in the US. Given the medical studies it seems seems sensible and might help stop the awful hoof ball that is prevalent in our game at lower levels. Anyone thinking long ball nonsense should actually be coached to kids is moronic. They need taught touch, awareness and control not hoof it to the big boy up top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

But, wait, they are allowed to head the ball? 

I wasn't asking about smaller pitches etc, mainly the subject of this thread. 

I'm more interested in preventing kids from being subjected to the same pressures on their young heads that come from repeatedly punching them. I prefer to listen to medical experts on this rather than a spangle from Arbroath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hiram Abiff said:

Disagree. KIds football would be better off teaching the defenders to play it long. There is no requirement to head the ball. All the emphasis on trying to get kids to play out from the back is where Scottish football is going wrong.

I totally agree that ball control, touch, skill, etc are key - but the emphasis should be on getting the ball forward as often and as quickly as possible and allowing the attacking and creative players to develop their control, skill and touch... not the defenders!

 

I know you’ve long been an advocate of this, and I ain’t going to lie, during 6-a-side when nobody bothers to come short to me (the keeper), I do tend to hoof it rugby style and try pin the opposition deep. At the same time, I am not a professional and will never claim to be.

Again using Belgium as an example, they are living proof that done correctly, playing from the back can be lethal. The Spanish style can often be harmless and repetitive (passing along the back line for about 20 minutes until trying something), but with Belgium there’s a mentality to move the ball forward and quickly. The only time we aim for height is once the ball is our wide and we stick the crosses in. Or when we are behind, lump Fellaini up front and target him - our last resort in recent years. But our general play shows that with swift movement you can still pass your way very quickly through the opposition.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

They may as well ban corner kicks as well. No point in having them if no one's allowed to head the ball. 

Seems bizarre to me that rugby union players should be allowed to continue tackling opponents since colliding head-first into another burly human being has got to be more damaging than heading an air-filled bag of leather.

Ach f*ck it, let's just ban everything.

I may be wrong, but aren’t the younger levels of rugby union basically the touch rugby version where they don’t smash into each other?

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

But, wait, they are allowed to head the ball? 

I wasn't asking about smaller pitches etc, mainly the subject of this thread. 

I’m not sure on the legalities, but it’s not the area of relevance that the Belgian youth system thrives on.

I know that doesn’t answer your question but tbh I don’t know the answer 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm more interested in preventing kids from being subjected to the same pressures on their young heads that come from repeatedly punching them. I prefer to listen to medical experts on this rather than a spangle from Arbroath.

You always take things to the extreme to TRY to prove a point.

As do many "medical experts" when trying to justify their salary.

Repeatedly punching them, dear oh dear. :lol:

I'd be interested how much damage is done and what percentage of people are damaged, actual proof, not guessing.

How many time would someone have to head the ball?

What speed would the ball have to be travelling to be seen as damaging? 

You prefer a cotton wool world with fluffy white clouds. 

Edited by faraway saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

As was stated earlier in the thread the SFA unilaterally banned heading in U11 age groups last year this is nothing new in Scotland. Also banned up to 15yo in the US. Given the medical studies it seems seems sensible and might help stop the awful hoof ball that is prevalent in our game at lower levels. Anyone thinking long ball nonsense should actually be coached to kids is moronic. They need taught touch, awareness and control not hoof it to the big boy up top.

You honestly this this will reduce the amount of time people boot the ball up the park? :lol:

Heading a ball has no connection to people being poor at the basic skills.

Jeezo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...