Coronavirus

faraway saint

This is what Nicola Sturgeon said yesterday: 

She said it was estimated that for every 100,000 people in Scotland, 28 currently have coronavirus. She said this compared to 128 across the UK as a whole

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-53336489

The latest ONS report today says that the prevalence in England is 26 in every 100,000 people

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/england9july2020

Is Nicola Sturgeon lying yet again or is her scientific advice garbage?

Most likely a combination of both

Yet again highlights the utter stupidity of the Scottish government 

And just to note, with a 95% test sensitivity, and 8 positives out of 25,662 tests then virtually all the positives are. likely to be false positives.

Yet we’ve to start wearing masks in shops tomorrow 😂

out at the Fort today. I’d estimate around 90% not wearing masks, myself included, obviously.

Shows what the Scottish public thinks of this ludicrous new rule.

Be interesting to see how many people comply tomorrow.

I certainly won’t be complying with a rule that is detrimental to my health and would increase my chance of catching a virus that actually now has zero prevalence in the U.K. 

Nicola Sturgeon lies in 2 successive sentences:

She said: “Lockdown has suppressed it, but as lockdown eases there is a very real risk that it will start to spread again.” 

“And that is not conjecture – it is already happening in many parts of the world.”

Neither statement is true of course. 

12 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Nicola Sturgeon announces

Couples who do not live together will now be able to meet without physically distancing, regardless of their living arrangements.”

seriously? 😂😂😂

at least it means that @faraway saint and @St.Ricky can continue their relationship in the open again 

Wee Boaby should be so lucky SD. 

Stirrer. 

15 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Nicola Sturgeon announces

Couples who do not live together will now be able to meet without physically distancing, regardless of their living arrangements.”

seriously? 😂😂😂

at least it means that @faraway saint and @St.Ricky can continue their relationship in the open again 

I'd rather eat your shite. :toilet

Strange figs coming out of WM tonight. Prevelance in England has miraculously dropped to a similar level as Scotland, yes that's 86 deaths and 600+ new infections England supposedly having the same level of prevalence as 0 deaths and 6 new infections Scotland. That simply is bollocks. If both countries have an almost identical prevelance rate per 100k of population there cannot be such a chasm in deaths and new cases.

The figures announced by politicians have been consistently bollox - FROM THE START.
The figures are announced to either scare or distract the gullible, depending on what result is sought.

you can safely ignore them.  They will not affect your life.

Forgive me, I almost turned into pseudonym for an awful moment.

11 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Strange figs coming out of WM tonight. Prevelance in England has miraculously dropped to a similar level as Scotland, yes that's 86 deaths and 600+ new infections England supposedly having the same level of prevalence as 0 deaths and 6 new infections Scotland. That simply is bollocks. If both countries have an almost identical prevelance rate per 100k of population there cannot be such a chasm in deaths and new cases.

Aye, the numbers are ok when it suits peoples agenda and not so much when they don't.

So, it's wear a mask day in Scotland.

Luckily I don't go to the shops much and don't use public transport so no big deal for me.

I'm not convinced masks are worthwhile but, as with the previous rules, I'll comply when I go to shops.

No need to be a twat for the sake of nothing much at all. 

PS I bet hunners of twats all of a sudden have asthma or some other made up illness. :thumbsdown

Edited by faraway saint

Luckily I don't go to the shops much and don't use public transport so no big deal for me.
I'm not convinced masks are worthwhile but, as with the previous rules, I'll comply when I go to shops.
That reminds me, my evil panda snood hasn't arrived yet. [emoji45]

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

PS I bet hunners of twats all of a sudden have asthma or some other made up illness. :thumbsdown

Was in a shop on Wed and had to ask a young assistant who was wearing a mask a question.

Due to being deaf, i had no idea what the assistant was saying back to me.

My wife who has excellent hearing, was also struggling to make out what was being said.

The new rule either it is a good rule or not, will now stop going me to shops unless i ready need to.

I don't need the hassle so shops are now out and my money will go to the pubs where you don't need a mask   :cheers

Also, should our MSP be wearing then when at work in parliament since it is indoors  ?

Was in a shop on Wed and had to ask a young assistant who was wearing a mask a question.
My wife who has excellent hearing, was also struggling to make out what was being said.
The new rule either it is a good rule or not, will now stop going me to shops unless i ready need to.
I don't need the hassle so shops are now out and my money will go to the pubs where you don't need a mask   :cheers
Also, should our MSP be wearing then when at work in parliament since it is indoors  ?
It's only compulsory in shops or on public transport, not indoors in general. Presumably is a shop environment it's to prevent aerosol/droplet contamination of goods customers are then handling. Public transport makes sense due to the lack of cleaning during a days service.

15 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

Nicola Sturgeon lies in 2 successive sentences:

She said: “Lockdown has suppressed it, but as lockdown eases there is a very real risk that it will start to spread again.” 

“And that is not conjecture – it is already happening in many parts of the world.”

Neither statement is true of course. 

Both can be observed and tested as true, you were wrong, not admitting it wont change anything. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Aye, we had a similar issue a few weeks ago in a furniture shop where the girl was wearing a facemask.

Really hard to hear what she was saying.

Need to increase the volume on their voices these shop workers. 👍

Another record-breaking day in America

From The New York Times

The coronavirus is reaching terrifying new levels in the United States. The country set another record for new coronavirus cases yesterday, with more than 59,400 infections — the fifth such record in nine days. As of Tuesday, the U.S. had recorded more than three million cases in total.

Today there are only two states — Vermont and New Hampshire — where cases are decreasing, while cases are more or less steady in 14 states and territories. In roughly half of the country, the spread has never been worse: 24 states reported more cases over the past week than in any other seven-day stretch of the pandemic. And as my colleague David Leonhardt pointed out, several states have more new cases per capita than even the hardest-hit countries.

For days now, political leaders looking for a silver lining have pointed to the death rate, which had been declining even as new infections skyrocketed. But that optimism may be coming to an end.

More than 948 new deaths were reported nationally on Wednesday, the second-largest total in nearly a month. That’s still a far cry from the national average of 2,200 daily deaths in mid-April, but the growing numbers may be a sign of what’s to come. Typically, there has been a lag of about a month between an infection and a reported death, and that suggests that the surge that began in mid-June, particularly in the Sun Belt, could produce a spike in deaths in the coming weeks.

Just as concerning is the situation in America’s hospitals. Across the South and West, a deluge of patients is forcing hospitals to convert beds into intensive care units. Doctors and health officials have said they were able to moderately control the virus because hospitals had enough personal protective equipment and the antiviral drug remdesivir. But now, many hospitals are reporting that they are running low on the drug, and the country as a whole is facing a dire shortage of protective gear and testing supplies.

Deborah Burger, co-president of National Nurses United, the country’s largest organization of registered nurses, said nurses were being forced to reuse protective gear in a way that has not been tested for safety.

“It’s almost five months into a pandemic in the richest country in the world and we’re putting people’s lives at risk because we don’t have enough P.P.E.,” she said.

What’s behind the surge: The current spike in cases is being driven by states that were among the first to reopen their economies, a Times analysis found, decisions that epidemiologists warned could lead to a wave of infections.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
3 hours ago, Tommy said:

It's only compulsory in shops or on public transport, not indoors in general. Presumably is a shop environment it's to prevent aerosol/droplet contamination of goods customers are then handling. Public transport makes sense due to the lack of cleaning during a days service.

Went for a walk in the town and most people that wear wearing them were unable to stop touching and fiddling with them with their hands and fingers. 

Kind of defeat the point of them since they will likely touch other items after touching their face. 

90mins walk without touching my face once, but people with masks wouldnt leave them alone.

Each to their own but not for me.

£36 now spent online instead of buying while i was in the town.