Jump to content

Ex-Player.


J.M.
 Share

Recommended Posts

Greetings, Good morning, I wanted to ask about former club players, especially from the 86/87 season, I'm interested in knowing their positions on the pitch, starting with the following players:

* Steve Clarke - Right full-back
* Peter Godfrey - Central Defender
* Neil Cooper - Central Defender, Defensive Midfielder
* Derek Hamilton - Left Full-back

it is right? will you help me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, J.M. said:

Greetings, Good morning, I wanted to ask about former club players, especially from the 86/87 season, I'm interested in knowing their positions on the pitch, starting with the following players:

* Steve Clarke - Right full-back
* Peter Godfrey - Central Defender
* Neil Cooper - Central Defender, Defensive Midfielder
* Derek Hamilton - Left Full-back

it is right? will you help me?

Correct, but I'm not sure about Neil Cooper as a defensive midfielder, 

Stevie Clarke could play all across the back 4 but Right back was his more natural position..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Helmettroll said:

Correct, but I'm not sure about Neil Cooper as a defensive midfielder, 

Stevie Clarke could play all across the back 4 but Right back was his more natural position..

I might be wrong but I seem to remember when Neil Cooper first arrived he played in midfield. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I might be wrong but I seem to remember when Neil Cooper first arrived he played in midfield. 

Nah think I’m talking shite.

One thing about Neil Cooper was he was a very consistent player for us. Usually a 7/10 each week. Rarely injured or suspended iirc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, DumboBud said:

I thought Stevie Clark mainly played left back for us, Tommy Wilson keeping him out of his best position. 
 

The more things change the more they stay the same, we have rarely in recent years had a proper left back. 

Stevie played a season as a centre half

Then later on played in midfield

He played right back when wee Tam Wilson was out for a season thanks to the Thuggish Ally Dawson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest TPAFKATS
Paul Lambert played most of his sports career as a defensive central midfielder, in his early years in the saints did he also play in that position?
Don't recall him being a defensive midfielder he was more creative than that.
Something he became after he moved from Motherwell to dortmund I think?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw Paul play on what may well have been his first game for us against Hibs at Easter Road and am sure he played in a wide right midfield role we had not long moved to Edinburgh to live and I believe Miller was our manager

Don't recall him being a defensive midfielder he was more creative than that.
Something he became after he moved from Motherwell to dortmund I think?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Ian Ferguson we would be facing a case similar to Lambert's, that is to say, over the years they are remembered as more defensive players but that in their first years, both in St.Mirren, they were more creative players than defenders?

Would Billy Abercromby be in charge of performing more defensive tasks in the center of the field? I think he could also play in defense, could it be?

Edited by J.M.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest TPAFKATS
With Ian Ferguson we would be facing a case similar to Lambert's, that is to say, over the years they are remembered as more defensive players but that in their first years, both in St.Mirren, they were more creative players than defenders?
Would Billy Abercromby be in charge of performing more defensive tasks in the center of the field? I think he could also play in defense, could it be?
Don't recall Aber playing in defence unless covering due to injury during a game?
My fading memory just has midfielders, they all attacked, some more than others, and all defended.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2020 at 9:39 AM, Yflab said:

Nah think I’m talking shite.

One thing about Neil Cooper was he was a very consistent player for us. Usually a 7/10 each week. Rarely injured or suspended iirc.

85/86 saw Neil Cooper play a number of games in midfield with Steve Clarke in central defence most of that season.

The side that beat Slavia Prague 3-0 in the UEFA Cup was:

Money -
Wilson, Godfrey, Clarke, Hamilton - Rooney, Cooper, Fitzpatrick, Speirs - Gallagher, McGarvey

Subs- McDowall and Scanlon 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sue Denim said:

85/86 saw Neil Cooper play a number of games in midfield with Steve Clarke in central defence most of that season.

The side that beat Slavia Prague 3-0 in the UEFA Cup was:

Money -
Wilson, Godfrey, Clarke, Hamilton - Rooney, Cooper, Fitzpatrick, Speirs - Gallagher, McGarvey

Subs- McDowall and Scanlon 

Thanks. My initial response was that he had then I changed my mind as I could not be arsed trawling the programme site for evidence. Cheers Capn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Thanks. My initial response was that he had then I changed my mind as I could not be arsed trawling the programme site for evidence. Cheers Capn.

He was definitely playing in central defence when he first arrived in 83/84.

John McCormack has been partnering Mark Fulton in central defence and he was moved into midfield when Cooper arrived.

He arrived around the same time as Derek Hamilton and they were Alex Miller’s first signings other than Drew Jarvie.
 

We went on an amazing run after Miller arrived, beating Rangers 3-0, then Celtic 4-2 (2-0 down after 20 mins then 3-2 up by half time then Scanlon’s late long range clincher), then we beat reigning champions Dundee United 4-0 in midweek. United had all their big guns back then, Gough, Hegarty, Narey, Malpas, Bannon, Sturrock, Dodds and almost reached the European Cup Final. McAvennie scored a hat trick.

Side for those games was

Thomson - Clarke, Cooper, Fulton, Hamilton, - McCormack, Fitzpatrick, Abercromby, Scanlon - McAvennie, McDougall

 

Edited by Sue Denim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

  we beat reigning champions Dundee United 4-0 in midweek. United had all their big guns back then, Gough, Hegarty, Narey, Malpas, Bannon, Sturrock, Dodds and almost reached the European Cup Final. McAvennie scored a hat trick.

Side for those games was

Thomson - Clarke, Cooper, Fulton, Hamilton, - McCormack, Fitzpatrick, Abercromby, Scanlon - McAvennie, McDougall

 

I remember that Stevie Clarke scored a scorcher of a goal just on the half time whistle in that game that was chalked off while the shot was airborne.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I remember that Stevie Clarke scored a scorcher of a goal just on the half time whistle in that game that was chalked off while the shot was airborne.

We made some blunders in the transfer market at the start of that season.

Sold Billy Stark to Aberdeen very cheaply and before freedom of contract and signed striker Rowan Alexander. Possibly Ricky McFarlane’s thinking was that McAvennie would assume the attacking midfield role but Alex Miller decided, quite rightly, that he was a striker when he arrived.

And we swapped Lex Richardson for another striker, Eric Sinclair, who I think played once.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I remember that Stevie Clarke scored a scorcher of a goal just on the half time whistle in that game that was chalked off while the shot was airborne.

I can remember an almost identical situation Yflab, but my aged brain has John McCormack as the unfortunate "goalscorer" who had it disallowed. A bullet header from a corner on my imagination.

Perhaps there were two similar occurances,  but most likely your recall is sharper than my fuzzy brain.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Billy Stark one I could understand , he had gone a bit stale and had been a great servant , plus we got some money. The Richardson/Sinclair deal was a disgrace though and was  the rock that Ricky McFarlane perished on . When Miller came in , Sinclair's feet hardly touched the ground. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...