Jump to content

Connor Ronan


Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Ok tell me who, in the last 30 years, which is how long i've been watching. Note i did say 'one of the best', not the best. 

Off the  top of my head Thompson. Dorman. Thomson. McGinn.

I am not getting at you personally I just find that people now bum up players that are only moderate.  McGrath was the same. The standard in the Premier League is appalling .the reason the League is so tight from fourth to ninth is that they are all shit. 

Maybe I am just an old cynic but the level of player now is very poor. Moderate players look good. Perhaps I am hankering after a time that never existed. Maybe I should just chuck  it.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 hours ago, guinness said:

Off the  top of my head Thompson. Dorman. Thomson. McGinn.

I am not getting at you personally I just find that people now bum up players that are only moderate.  McGrath was the same. The standard in the Premier League is appalling .the reason the League is so tight from fourth to ninth is that they are all shit. 

Maybe I am just an old cynic but the level of player now is very poor. Moderate players look good. Perhaps I am hankering after a time that never existed. Maybe I should just chuck  it.

 

 

 

Thompson was also one of the greatest i've seen at St Mirren. Dorman and Thomson? No chance, wouldn't have either of them in the top ten tbh. I remember the boo boys really going after Dorman and Thomson was just a decent player - neither of their scoring rates from midfield was anywhere near Ronan's. Unsure what McGinn you mean as we've had three.  By Premier League do you mean Scottish Premiership? I agree the standard of Scottish Football outside the top two is really poor, as results in Europe show. That's why a guy like Ronan, who is 24 and contracted to an EPL club, stands out so much.

McGrath is also nowhere near Ronan's level either, can't get a game for Wigan, we did well getting a fee for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Thompson was also one of the greatest i've seen at St Mirren. Dorman and Thomson? No chance, wouldn't have either of them in the top ten tbh. I remember the boo boys really going after Dorman and Thomson was just a decent player - neither of their scoring rates from midfield was anywhere near Ronan's. Unsure what McGinn you mean as we've had three.  By Premier League do you mean Scottish Premiership? I agree the standard of Scottish Football outside the top two is really poor, as results in Europe show. That's why a guy like Ronan, who is 24 and contracted to an EPL club, stands out so much.

McGrath is also nowhere near Ronan's level either, can't get a game for Wigan, we did well getting a fee for him.

My memory isn’t to trusted when it comes to comparing players as I either seem to remember their best or worst spells. John McGinn stands out for me and his progress in the game is testament to that. Dorman  scored some high profile goals. McGrath had a great season in the one before he left. Ronan is a special player at our level. Quick witted, quick footed, can hold the ball and make a pass and of course score spectacular goals. Me..I liked wee Mavis Reilly.

Edited by Rascal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2022 at 9:46 AM, Rascal said:

And now makes his debut call up for Ireland. It’s been a good move for him to come to Paisley and good for us. Well done Connor. Ps. His dad was at the last Motherwell away game. In talking to one of my sons he said that Connor was loving his time with us and playing every week.

And now mentioned as one of the best 

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/five-surprising-scottish-premiership-standouts-23492334

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Conor hasn’t  made the squad for tonight’s game against Belgium. Shame for the lad but still a good experience going over there and training with the squad. I’m sure his time will come. He’s got the talent and seems a good lad. 

Hopefully he’ll get a chance in their game against Lithuania. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, guinness said:

Not in pool again tonight. Bit off taking him and not even putting him on the bench.

Good experience for the young guy. I really rate him but it’s hard to break into the Ireland Team. (McGrath apart)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Good experience for the young guy. I really rate him but it’s hard to break into the Ireland Team. (McGrath apart)

Fair enough but thought he could have at least made the bench. He is 24. Not that young by football standards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s been quite a bit of recent flak for the Irish manager - that he has been giving too many games to too many players who happen to be Irish.

so McGrath and Ronan being selected, whilst being kinda positive, is still perhaps not too tough currently.  Irish results are not that bad despite the criticism….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

McGrath's been dropped from the Irish squad because he can't even get in the Wigan squad.... 

Big move to that hotbed of English football Wigan gone sour it seems

Correct PS. What a first season he had with us. Difficult to replicate that anywhere I would think. He will have the consolation of a much larger pay packet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wigan are on a long winning run currently second top, one point behind with two games in hand. They got that far without Jamie. So they should change a winning team to accommodate him? Jamie is current in warm winter training in Dubai and on big money so I do not really think he is too upset about his situation at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2022 at 5:48 PM, guinness said:

Off the  top of my head Thompson. Dorman. Thomson. McGinn.

I am not getting at you personally I just find that people now bum up players that are only moderate.  McGrath was the same. The standard in the Premier League is appalling .the reason the League is so tight from fourth to ninth is that they are all shit. 

Maybe I am just an old cynic but the level of player now is very poor. Moderate players look good. Perhaps I am hankering after a time that never existed. Maybe I should just chuck  it.

 

 

 

Thomson? You on the swally? He couldn’t lace Ronan’s boots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Rascal said:

Correct PS. What a first season he had with us. Difficult to replicate that anywhere I would think. He will have the consolation of a much larger pay packet. 

As a footballer with ambition don't think it's much of a consolation... and I don't think he could possibly have made a worse choice moving to Wigan... looking ahead it probably looks even bleaker. They will strengthen their team if they get promoted.. if he can't get a place on the bench now what chance next year in the championship  0% 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

As a footballer with ambition don't think it's much of a consolation... and I don't think he could possibly have made a worse choice moving to Wigan... looking ahead it probably looks even bleaker. They will strengthen their team if they get promoted.. if he can't get a place on the bench now what chance next year in the championship  0% 

I see your point but money talks. IMO Aberdeen would have been a better fit. Would have kept him playing , kept him in the Irish team, earned him a good bit more than we were paying and maybe set him up for a bigger move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
Did Jim not say before it would be in the region of 500k to get him? Do Aberdeen have that to hand? Should they not save that money to pay off Jim as the fans are not to keen on him.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did Jim not say before it would be in the region of 500k to get him? Do Aberdeen have that to hand? Should they not save that money to pay off Jim as the fans are not to keen on him.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

They may just be looking to take him on loan rather than sign him.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2022 at 5:48 PM, guinness said:

Off the  top of my head Thompson. Dorman. Thomson. McGinn.

I am not getting at you personally I just find that people now bum up players that are only moderate.  McGrath was the same. The standard in the Premier League is appalling .the reason the League is so tight from fourth to ninth is that they are all shit. 

Maybe I am just an old cynic but the level of player now is very poor. Moderate players look good. Perhaps I am hankering after a time that never existed. Maybe I should just chuck  it.

 

 

 

100% correct IMO. It really is laughable. Conor Ronan is League One  in England and no higher. 

I've seen 76 of the 92 league teams in England and some 3 and 4 times. Followed Ipswich Town for 4 years as season ticket holder and he'd never have got in the Town teams I watched.

Still follow Ipswich and he wouldn't get in their first team.

Not the slightest bit surprised that McGrath is not getting a start at Wigan

I remeber the bull after Adam Hamill worldy

 

Edited by lenziebud
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, linwood buddie said:

Europe would be better for his development , we have no chance of the loan being extended .

I share your view on both and as the article suggests , if St Pauli make the top league in Germany then that’s where he should and , I think, would go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...