Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

The Official site says

St Mirren Football Club can confirm that Anders Dreyer, Brad Lyons, Danny Rogers, Duckens Nazon, Jordan Holmes, Kyle McAllister, Laurentiu Corbu, Lee Hodson and Mihai Popescu have returned to their parent clubs as their loan deals come to an end.

We can also confirm that Anton Ferdinand and Simeon Jackson will leave the club following the expiry of their contracts, while Adam Eckersley has joined Airdrieonians. 

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

The Official site says

St Mirren Football Club can confirm that Anders Dreyer, Brad Lyons, Danny Rogers, Duckens Nazon, Jordan Holmes, Kyle McAllister, Laurentiu Corbu, Lee Hodson and Mihai Popescu have returned to their parent clubs as their loan deals come to an end.

We can also confirm that Anton Ferdinand and Simeon Jackson will leave the club following the expiry of their contracts, while Adam Eckersley has joined Airdrieonians. 

Happy to see the majority of these players leave with the exception of Popescu and Hodson. Nazon and Jackson are not good enough to take us forward. We must get in some genuine quality this time or at least players of a standard who csn play well at this level. Over to you Gus and Oran. 

2 hours ago, Ethan said:

Happy to see the majority of these players leave with the exception of Popescu and Hodson. Nazon and Jackson are not good enough to take us forward. We must get in some genuine quality this time or at least players of a standard who csn play well at this level. Over to you Gus and Oran. 

Ideally we would want Popescu, Hodson, Dreyer, Holmes (probably), and McAllister back - add in Muzek and MacKenzie and we have only offloaded 7.

But questions remain over Kellerman and Heaton too..  :ninja Will Tansey recover of retire????

Looking at what is left in positional terms:

image.png.7d8722fa7afb57d792818e2c82fed5ce.png

That's 15 remaining. Kellermann and Heaton will surely not be here by start of the season and Tansey will be lucky if he kicks a ball again apparently.

That would leave us with 12 (on basis that Gary Mac and Muzek stay).

So from that 12, we'd add another 8 - 10 in close season to get to that magic number of 21-22.

For me, we definitely need:

1 x Backup Goalie
1 x RB for cover (Hodson would be ideal due to versatility on both sides and can play in midfield if needed)
1 or 2 x CB
1 x CM (attacking)
1 x RM
1 x LM
2 x CF

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Looking at what is left in positional terms:

image.png.7d8722fa7afb57d792818e2c82fed5ce.png

That's 15 remaining. Kellermann and Heaton will surely not be here by start of the season and Tansey will be lucky if he kicks a ball again apparently.

That would leave us with 12 (on basis that Gary Mac and Muzek stay).   So from that 12, we'd add another 8 - 10 in close season to get to that magic number of 21-22.

For me, we definitely need:

1 x Backup Goalie
1 x RB for cover (Hodson would be ideal due to versatility on both sides and can play in midfield if needed)
1 or 2 x CB
1 x CM (attacking)
1 x RM
1 x LM
2 x CF

This is a good picture of where we are at and what we need... but I think we will have more than 22 in the squad for next season. Given the injuries we faced last time around left us weaker for many games... the Fakes has 26 I think - so we need at least 24...

Also cannot predict whether Hladky or any other player might be sold/transferred but sure we hope not . . .

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

This is a good picture of where we are at and what we need... but I think we will have more than 22 in the squad for next season. Given the injuries we faced last time around left us weaker for many games... the Fakes has 26 I think - so we need at least 24...

Also cannot predict whether Hladky or any other player might be sold/transferred but sure we hope not . . .

I'm going purely based on what Oran said about squad size. He's always said that we should carry 21-22 seniors and supplement that with a few youths.

I don't know if Cammy and Ethan are both still classed in Oran's mind as youth players - given Ethan is only 18, he most certainly should be but he played so many matches last season, he's got to be a senior squad member now.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I'm going purely based on what Oran said about squad size. He's always said that we should carry 21-22 seniors and supplement that with a few youths.

I don't know if Cammy and Ethan are both still classed in Oran's mind as youth players - given Ethan is only 18, he most certainly should be but he played so many matches last season, he's got to be a senior squad member now.

I think we had to cut our cloth last year under pressure financially more than we will have to this season. I also think Oran said what he said to let those he wanted away know that he was not planning to keep them all... Whatever it worked out good in the end.

I think Erhahon and MacPherson are 1st team squad now, but not sure we have any younger lads that would not benefit from going out on loan as they won't be ready for the Premiership yet?

I'd be surprised if we have less than 24 of a squad for this coming season...

3 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

I think we had to cut our cloth last year under pressure financially more than we will have to this season. I also think Oran said what he said to let those he wanted away know that he was not planning to keep them all... Whatever it worked out good in the end.

I think Erhahon and MacPherson are 1st team squad now, but not sure we have any younger lads that would not benefit from going out on loan as they won't be ready for the Premiership yet?

I'd be surprised if we have less than 24 of a squad for this coming season...

Erhahon has grown physically over the past year and is shaping up well, IMO. Not yet the finished article and I would prefer to see him in midfield.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Not sure if it has been posted.  Oran wants Hodson signd up. 

Yes it is out there and in here

28 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Have Rangers confirmed he's been released ?
I'd be happy to have him back.

Yes he is leaving. Yes he would be happy to come back to us. Rumour Livi are interested too, so we need to offer decent dosh . . .

11 hours ago, pod said:

Heard rumour, Livingston. :(

I don't feel too concerned about Livingstons interest. Hods seems to have enjoyed his time with us and has fitted in well to the club environment. If he doesnt have offers down south he may consider, I can see us being pole position to get him if the finances can be worked out of course. 

29 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I don't feel too concerned about Livingstons interest. Hods seems to have enjoyed his time with us and has fitted in well to the club environment. If he doesnt have offers down south he may consider, I can see us being pole position to get him if the finances can be worked out of course. 

Yes, unless Livi go big to pry him away, I expect he will prefer to stay with us... let#'s face it, Livi will be one of the favourites for relegation, having lost their 3 best players already - who knows who else might flee from them if the opportunity arrives...

Yes, unless Livi go big to pry him away, I expect he will prefer to stay with us... let#'s face it, Livi will be one of the favourites for relegation, having lost their 3 best players already - who knows who else might flee from them if the opportunity arrives...

Livi’s ‘3 best players’ were all playing League One just over 2 years ago.

They were made to look better than they actually are by Livi’s very successful style of play.

How they look when playing for teams who play a different way remains to be seen.

Livi’s success is down to that style of play mentioned above as opposed to the brilliance of individual players.

I suspect they will find replacements.

14 hours ago, pod said:

Heard rumour, Livingston. :(

I would doubt that. Livi supposedly pay low wages (£700 p/w according to their fans) , so I'd be surprised if we couldn't pay more than that.

51 minutes ago, munoz said:

I would doubt that. Livi supposedly pay low wages (£700 p/w according to their fans) , so I'd be surprised if we couldn't pay more than that.

Halkett was on a much bigger wage than that - AND they now have increased revenue from the Premiership to factor in...

There 3 top earners have all gone . . .