Tony Watt

shull

Do you remember the season after our previous cup win. Thankfully the current custodians still do and are not repeating the spending splurge that followed that. All this "shame on you" stuff is total shite. Do you honestly think that Lennon and the board are not attempting to get players in. There is not much we can do if players don't want to come to us or they are outwith our budget. Most on here are starting to sound like they couldn't care less WHO we sign as long as we sign someone. Personally I'm much happier to wait for the right player and the price always drops the closer to the close of the window we get.

Not how I recall it - Dawson & McWalter plus one other from the lower divisions whose name escapes me were signed during the summer of '87, the spending splurge occurred later on, during the Fitzpatrick regime, even then we received substantial money for the likes of Cameron, Ferguson, Brian Hamilton, & Winnie amongst others.

Edit - Apologies to windae cleaner I should have read P7 before I answered AS's post!

Edited by Bud the Baker

I will be disappointed with the squad currently assembled IF we have not added to it by the time the transfer window closes. We all know where we need to strengthen from DL down to fans but we have another 2 weeks plus to rectify that. We have to get the best players possible within our budget. To me that means showing patience and allowing the backroom staff to get on with it rather than panicking into rash purchases to placate nervy supporters. Plenty on here are screaming "give us a signing" but if that meant signing the likes of Barrowman who I personally think is nowhere near prem standard or waiting as a previous poster stated to see if Watt becomes available if his club sign another striker then I think we should wait. It may well be we have to settle for someone we don't reckon is good enough but at least lets give the club the breathing space they need to try to avoid that scenario.

I take your point, and you're dead right, I don't want us to jump in and sign any old shite.

But the thing that I find really frustrating, and I'm sure is the same for lots of other Buds, is that we've had months to get a squad ready for an assault on the top half of this league. If SJ can finish 3rd, then anythings possible.

But we haven't taken the opportunity to build on the success of winning a trophy by getting the best available on board and in place ready for pre-season build up.

THAT has been a mistake.

I take your point, and you're dead right, I don't want us to jump in and sign any old shite.

But the thing that I find really frustrating, and I'm sure is the same for lots of other Buds, is that we've had months to get a squad ready for an assault on the top half of this league. If SJ can finish 3rd, then anythings possible.

But we haven't taken the opportunity to build on the success of winning a trophy by getting the best available on board and in place ready for pre-season build up.

THAT has been a mistake.

It certainly looks like it might be a mistake but as I said before, none of us knows for sure what has been happening at the club so we can't judge. Concern is justified but making definitive claims that mistakes have been made when nobody has the faintest clue of what has happened is not.

Worse still, in the absence of any information, people are just making conclusions in their heads and spouting whatever they THINK has happened. So we have people saying it's wages which are definitely the problem. Then it's the directors not sanctioning transfers then it's Danny's incompetence, then it's players not wanting to come here, then it's the short contracts we offer, then it's blah blah blah......etc.

This is just an endless sea of pish.

The only person whose opinion I want to hear is Danny's because he's the only one who can know for sure what's going on. Everything else is damaging speculation which is hurting our club.

Edited by oaksoft

It certainly looks like it might be a mistake but as I said before, none of us knows for sure what has been happening at the club so we can't judge. Concern is justified but making definitive claims that mistakes have been made when nobody has the faintest clue of what has happened is not.

If not a mistake then poor management at least, by somebody.

If not a mistake then poor management at least, by somebody.

I edited the post above while you were responding.

Anyway, why must poor management be the reason?

Like I said above, this is just speculation.

There are thousands of possible reasons for why we find ourselves in this situation.

People are gravitating to the incompetence reason far too quickly.

It's highly unlikely incompetence is the issue.

Edited by oaksoft

Just read the rest of your post (hope you've started breathing properly again by now!!)

Good point you make about wanting to hear DL's opinion. I agree. But there's not much comment from the club as to why we have a squad so ill-prepared for the new season.

You can bet your last penny if there was any good news at the moment we'd have certain people shoving their face on TV the way they always do when we win something. Yet, when the fans are restless, it's quieter than a birthday party in Ian Brady's prison cell.

At this stage in the window, who is left that will make the difference required to our squad? We have left it late and will pick up a journeyman or will have to go asking about for a loan deal. Too much time hanging about waiting on Newcastle deciding our fate.

Not how I recall it - Dawson & McWalter plus one other from the lower divisions whose name escapes me were signed during the summer of '87, the spending splurge occurred later on, during the Fitzpatrick regime, even then we received substantial money for the likes of Cameron, Ferguson, Brian Hamilton, & Winnie amongst others.

Edit - Apologies to windae cleaner I should have read P7 before I answered AS's post!

Keith Walker

At this stage in the window, who is left that will make the difference required to our squad? We have left it late and will pick up a journeyman or will have to go asking about for a loan deal. Too much time hanging about waiting on Newcastle deciding our fate.

We have not left any thing late, we've been working away behind the scenes and have been unsuccessful so for. We might even be unsuccessful this entire window. But if we are it will mean we will have more money January

And by that time it could be way to late.

...and it might not but then that would reqiure you to be something other than a miserable twat.

If we can't get the strikers in we can't get the strikers in.

You constantly moaning about it won't make a difference.

...and it might not but then that would reqiure you to be something other than a miserable twat.

Surely if we pay our money then we are each entitled to our individual opinions?

For me, there are some on here who moan way too much, while there are others at the opposite end of the scale who have their heads buried firmly in the sand and won't read a word written in criticism of the club or the manager. However, each is entitled to have their say and that is why we have a "Discussion Board".

We didn't spend much the season after winning the cup.

We bought players from lower leagues Dawson,Walker, McWalter,Conroy and Martin.

The last 2 after we raked in a million for Ferguson.

It was Fitzpatrick who was reckless with the money after that season

[/quo

Add Billy Davtes to that list,Alex Smith wasn,t a bad manager ,during his short time with us , he sold two players for £1.4 million ,won the cup ,and spent about £250,000 on players who were later sold on more more than double that.

Surely if we pay our money then we are each entitled to our individual opinions?

You think so? Why would you think that paying money gave you that right?

Would you tolerate it from customers at your work?

Try that approach next time you're at the local hospital or a pub after you've bought a pint or maybe at the local restaurant after you've paid for a meal and see how far you get.

This "I've paid my money so I now have the right to say what I want" is the definition of an entitlement complex.

You think so? Why would you think that paying money gave you that right?

Thanks for pointing out the fundamental flaw in what I originally said. Obviously I don't actually have to pay any money at all to have the right to say what I think on a discussion forum. I already have that right. You, on the other hand, seem to take umbrage at anyone who dares to disagree, (or even appears to disagree), with anything you post. Fortunately for us all, you are not the thought police.

As for saying what I think in a restaurant, I am unclear as to you point. Do you mean I can't openly say what I thought of the food I paid for, or are you saying I can't openly express general thoughts?