Adam Campbell Tonight

GMBB

Far far too early to begin fretting until we have an idea of who else comes in. If it noone then we piss with the cock we have. Remember the bad start that Fakes, ICT and Ross County had last season and look where they finished in the league.

You are, of course, quite right that it is too early to fret, but, by the same token, if we had the personnel required in place, we could have been talking about getting off to a flyer. Instead, we are still wondering whether we'll have adequate depth in the squad going into week 3 of the season.

I can't recall being in this position before. Whatever we might have thought of the signings made last pre-season and those that came before, we generally had cover in all the key areas. Granted, it might have been quantity over quality at times, but there is a minimum requirement that I fear we have yet to meet. Debating the calibre of the players generally comes a bit later.

It seems we might have made life a bit more difficult that was necessary, and, as Chris has pointed out, the likelihood is that any players who do come in will take time to gel and reach full match readiness.

I'm not looking to point the finger of blame here, it is what it is.

The happy clappers are missing the main point here.

If we’d had a decent league campaign last season then I believe that the knicker wetters would be quite patient just now. The ICT result would already been written off and we’d be waiting happily for a couple of final signings.

However, we finished 2nd bottom last season. Only First Division standard Dundee were below us. We were the 10th placed non Old Firm club – our worst top flight finish in 40 years!

Since then we have lost 4 forwards, Goncalves, Guy, Parkin & Imrie who contributed 18 goals between last season plus numerous assists.

We have also failed to strengthen a defence which let in more goals last season than we have in any other season since we returned to the SPL! Indeed, in losing Samson & Dummett we’ve arguably lost our 2 best defensive players!

We’ve also lost Graham Carey who is already off the mark at Ross County with the only new addition being Harkins who was brought in replace McGowan… duh!

And regardless of who we sign, it won’t alter the fact that our tactics are hopeless!

Steven Thompson will become manager of St. Mirren this season. Its just a question of when…

I'll bet you £25 for Mavis Reilly's charity that Hearts don't finish above us. Simply post your e-mail address here if you want to take me up.

Mine is [email protected]

I'll also bet on Paul's side, £25 for Charity. PM me for email addy.

I expect to hear you are down to your last dime...

Guest somner9

Here's my twopenneth..!

What the f**k are all the knickerwetters going to moan about if we win saturday???

Imrie's gone so can't abuse him...

lewis Guy's gone so one less to slate from the stands....

I know..! They'll moan about the ICT game more than they'll celebrate if we beat Killie..!

And they'll be in meltdown if we get a result in Dingwall, insisting it's got f**k aw to do with danny!

Jeez so glad we didn't end up with a Fans Knickerwetting board in the 10000 hours C-f**k

After two games, seriously what? See Irvine Buddie's reply. ICT and Thistle clearly planned for the kick off, not two, three or four games after it. I think I made my point very clearly - not saying you need to agree with it, but I explained my concerns clearly enough.

I honestly think your missing the point

we have lost one game no matter when in the season it is

adding players to a squad doesnt mean it improves it

its only August and people have us relegated

Can't speak for anyone else, but if there's any moisture in my undergarments, it has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with Adam Campbell and his talent or otherwise. Campbell by all accounts is a prospect all right, pacy, young, would be a great addition to the squad I'm sure. However, if he doesn't land here, I won't feel that we've just missed the next Alan Shearer. Hell, I'm not even looking for the next Alan Shearer. I'd be happy with the next Mark Yardley, Barry Lavety or John Sutton. I don't mean that as a sleight in any way - I would just like a good player, not a world beater, added up front.

No, my leaky dribbles are nothing to do with Campbell himself. They are everything to do with what I perceive to be St Mirren lagging behind other clubs, bringing up the rear, dragging our heels - however best to put it. I see Butcher buying a job lot of Johnny foreigners and unknowns (again), and having them ready to rumble from day one. Not after several games, not after Hearts have got a lift. I see Motherwell replace Higdon with Sutton, and bring in a new Estonian who has already hit the net twice. I see Partick Thistle making moves and hitting the ground running.

We always seem to be slow out of the blocks and before we know it, we're lots of points behind whoever the newly promoted side is (Dundee being the exception with little time to trump us in the transfer market. We're also sitting looking at ICT, the fakes, and Ross County and thinking 'how come other teams can dig up all these new players and look solid outfits aiming for Europe?'

That's my dampness issue. It seems to be the same old story. Trialists, other teams beating us to the punch, long drawn out sagas, piss-farting around and wallop - there goes Thistle over the horizon, hoping someone turns out to be worse than us... Same old?

Maybe it's just me. It certainly isn't to do with a Geordie teenager, I know that much.

100% spot on. It seems we only want to invest for a gamble on survival.

The happy clappers are missing the main point here.

If we’d had a decent league campaign last season then I believe that the knicker wetters would be quite patient just now. The ICT result would already been written off and we’d be waiting happily for a couple of final signings.

However, we finished 2nd bottom last season. Only First Division standard Dundee were below us. We were the 10th placed non Old Firm club – our worst top flight finish in 40 years!

Since then we have lost 4 forwards, Goncalves, Guy, Parkin & Imrie who contributed 18 goals between last season plus numerous assists.

We have also failed to strengthen a defence which let in more goals last season than we have in any other season since we returned to the SPL! Indeed, in losing Samson & Dummett we’ve arguably lost our 2 best defensive players!

We’ve also lost Graham Carey who is already off the mark at Ross County with the only new addition being Harkins who was brought in replace McGowan… duh!

And regardless of who we sign, it won’t alter the fact that our tactics are hopeless!

Steven Thompson will become manager of St. Mirren this season. Its just a question of when…

Most of this is utter nonsense.

Its every season though. I think the point is that one day our luck might run out and we have had ample time to invest in our squad.

There's one thing I can be absolutely certain about. There's not a single fan on here other than directors who has the faintest idea what it takes to sign a player worth having in this day and age. In that context, talking about "ample time" is pompous pish.

Danny has no more control over making good strikers decide to sign a Saints contract than you have.

We can only sign players who want to come here and play for the amount we are able to offer.

Not one of us knows exactly why he's having trouble getting bodies into the squad. Not one of us.

Edited by oaksoft

We got a bloody nose up in Inverness, so let's hope the players and coaches are fired up for Saturday. regardless of who lines up against Kilmarnock.

I've decided to stop whining about the situation with players and just sit back and see what materialises.

COYS!

I honestly think your missing the point

we have lost one game no matter when in the season it is

adding players to a squad doesnt mean it improves it

its only August and people have us relegated

I'm not missing any point whatsoever. My point is, as I explained, perfectly clear. I'm not concerned about possibly missing out on Adam Campbell because he's the second coming of Christ or the next Lionel Messi. My concern is that these Adam Campbell negotiations are dragging on and being played out with the season underway. Clubs such as ICT and Partick have hit the ground running with new signings and points tucked away.

We may or may not finish above one or both of them. I am not predicting relegation for St Mirren, nor am I advocating sacking the manager.

There's one thing I can be absolutely certain about. There's not a single fan on here other than directors who has the faintest idea what it takes to sign a player worth having in this day and age. In that context, talking about "ample time" is pompous pish.

Danny has no more control over making good strikers decide to sign a Saints contract than you have.

We can only sign players who want to come here and play for the amount we are able to offer.

Not one of us knows exactly why he's having trouble getting bodies into the squad. Not one of us.

Who mentioned danny lennon?

Also i never said how easy or difficult signing a player was. Only that others are doing it "in ample time" to be ready for the new season.

Think your got the wrong end of the stick there. I like DL. Shame his hands are at times tied when im sure there are players he would love us to sign.

The difference with the teams you mention is that they are above us nine times out of ten

Are they? He mentions Ross County, ICT and St Johnstone.

All three of these have spent time in Division One when we were in the SPL.

Since 2005 we have finished above St Johnstone and Ross County almost every year except the last 2 years.

Not sure where your 9 times out of 10 comes from. Fractions not your strong point eh?

On a serious note there can't be many clubs with this number of borderline suicidal fans after one f**king match.

I can only ever remember Rangers fans behaving like this under the same circumstances.

It is actually pretty funny when you take a step back.

If word of this got out we'd be the laughing stock of the entire UK.

Why panic about other teams picking up points when we haven't even got a game. Of course we are going to be slow out of the blocks as, Hearts and Partick will have played 3 games before we play our second.

If Adam Campbell comes then great, but Danny is clearly working on other deals behind closed doors as well. Surely that's how we want business done? Frankly the idea that Danny is sitting in his office all day waiting on a phone call from Pardew is embarrassing.

Also...in terms of transfers. I would take quality over quantity every time. The SPL or SPFL is that type of league where a wee bit of quality makes a big difference.

Edited by NeilPar72

Also i never said how easy or difficult signing a player was. Only that others are doing it "in ample time" to be ready for the new season.

Are they? Who has done it? Who has signed decent players in time to be ready?

After 2 matches for most teams I'd say it was nigh on impossible to tell.

ICT? Yep good start but so what? They could easily pick up just 5 point in the next 11 matches (as they've managed to do before).

Killie are talking about needing more players. So are Celtic. Ross are already struggling. Motherwell want more bodies in too. Dundee Utd have had a terrible start and are short of players. There's not a single team in this league 100% happy with their squad.

There's too much emphasis on getting a good start which means that getting a bad start is elevated to something akin to a close family member dying.

Some of the comments on this forum really are embarassing given how early in the season we are.

Are we really to tolerate perhaps 38 consecutive weeks of this negativity?

All I want to see is whether our young lads are capable of making the step up to play at this level.

They are getting their chance and IMO we need to stop acting like spoilt cunts with an entitlement complex and allow them a supportive couple of months to see if they can make the grade. Instead of that we have twats knocking guys like Reilly by refusing to acknowledge we have this young striker at the club. According to Norrie and a couple of other twats we only have one striker - they make this point repeatedly. How do people think Thomas feels reading that on this forum? Make no mistake our players read these boards.

If we sign another 2 or 3 experienced players then guys like Thomas will be back to square one - out of the 1st team.

As Saints fans surely we're above all this OF-esque behaviour.

Circumstances are forcing us to give these boys a chance to play, f**k things up occasionally and perhaps grow into top players from the experience. They will be bullied and kicked by bigger and more experienced players from other teams. They'll fail occasionally but get back up and try again for the cause. Under these circumstances they need our help week in week out.

Every fan should support them and stop whining about players we DONT have.

Wow - the only thing missing from my post is Land of Hope and Glory playing in the background.

Edited by oaksoft

Are they? He mentions Ross County, ICT and St Johnstone.

All three of these have spent time in Division One when we were in the SPL.

Since 2005 we have finished above St Johnstone and Ross County almost every year except the last 2 years.

Not sure where your 9 times out of 10 comes from. Fractions not your strong point eh?

On a serious note there can't be many clubs with this number of borderline suicidal fans after one f**king match.

I can only ever remember Rangers fans behaving like this under the same circumstances.

It is actually pretty funny when you take a step back.

If word of this got out we'd be the laughing stock of the entire UK.

Why is it that instead of simply assuming your default position of slagging off anyone who's opinion differs from yours, you take a step back yourself and try to understand the frustration of a lot of fans?

I know there have been some extreme comments re Lennon and his job prospects but those are the minority IMO. There are a lot of concerned fans, myself included, not happy about the general state of the team and our readiness for the season.

I don't expect to win the league, qualify for Europe or even actually make the top six. What I do feel entitled to though is putting a competitive team on the park and the management team addressing some of the obvious deficiencies we have had in our squad for a good long while now.

No knicker wetting, as you like to call it. Just justifiable concern. I'm not sure why, even when you don't agree with that view, you can't understand it.

No its not its no where near impossible we lose next four whitch is a good chance will happen and hearts win theres they are then level with 5 games of the quarter still to go .And i have been watching Saint Mirren long enough to know that thats a good possibility.

Not impossible Elvis, but, in your opinion, a good possibility that with 6 games gone ( I assume that's what you refer to when you say "5 games of the quarter still to go" that the first 11 games is a quarter).

What is a good possibility? 50/50, 60/40 in Hearts favour, or 70/30 in Hearts favour?Tell me what you believe the odds are for your good possibility?