Next St Mirren Manager

Hartley or McLeish (though I suspect the latter would be well out of our price range).

Few names inspire or excite.

Someone who isn't scared to toe some arses is an absolute must. A figure who commands respect.

To be honest, I wouldnt want Hartley as since he's been coaching, he's been too far of the radar. Eck is a good shout although there are 2 reasons he's unlikely, 1) He's likely to be out of our financial reach and 2) a few elements of the support might be against him as a former bluenose manager. We need someone who can help reverse the terminal decline that we are in

To be honest, I wouldnt want Hartley as since he's been coaching, he's been too far of the radar. Eck is a good shout although there are 2 reasons he's unlikely, 1) He's likely to be out of our financial reach and 2) a few elements of the support might be against him as a former bluenose manager. We need someone who can help reverse the terminal decline that we are in

The thing about Big Eck is that he's out of work so unless he's still living down South maybe he'd be interested in the gig.

In my opinion he wasn't alone in that.

All summer a few kept saying we needed certain postions in our squad to be filled as we released a few players.

We kept getting told they were coming but never did,

If he spunked his budget on certain players getting paid over the odds.

Who gave the go ahead for this as we have told we have a wage structure at the club.

Our recent bad start isn't a surprise giving our shambles of a squad.

And if the stories of certain players getting paid this and that are true.

Little wonder morale is low as it causes unrest

Frankly, he is alone. Had anyone tried to control him then there'd be all sorts of comments about people interfering. It's his squad, we can't know why players maybe changed demands or how much effect it had holding out on players/courting Newcastle. He gave BC a list, but you can't tell me it's not up to Danny to sell the club or give an indication of wage levels we'll go to.

Looking at the Saints squad, the haphazard tactics and the lack of organisation...would you move here? Targets aren't stupid, they'll look at results and how Danny has handled most signings. Even Grainger and Gowser appeared to have no other options.

Rest assured, if we end up paying off DL, the replacement will be the cheapest possible option, who is used to working with a limited budget.

Mentioning names like Levein and McLeish, as being realistic,potential replacements, is insanity.

I'd say Ian Murray would probably be high on the board's list.

I doubt Paul Hartley would consider it. Unless he had instantaneous success, the usual suspects in our support would slaughter him for his past associations and performances against us.

Also,I've seen DL posing the question, "What would be the board's expectations of his replacement?".

10th place and 10 home wins per season would be a start, given the current position any new manager would be starting from.

I had hoped DL would turn things around, but I just haven't seen anything on the pitch to indicate that there are any significant improvements in that area.

The record since the league cup is so bad I can't see any reason for retaining Danny. The performances haven't been there either.

The replacement will be an interesting decision-

Paul Hartley is worth a go if some of our fans can forget his playing days. Doing a decent job in D1 with Alloa.

Iain Murray again turned around Dumbarton last year.

Craig Levein. Yes Scotland was a disaster, not right for international football and he made a mess with 4-6-0 and grind out results. Still a good club manager if willing to take a job at our level and giving he went from Leicester to Raith...

Billy Reid. Worse than keeping Lennon. Lucky timing at Hamilton and notice nobody has gone near him since.

Kenny Shiels. Unsure, managed a decline from Mixu, but kept things going alright at Killie although his interviews and touchline manner are weird.

Sure there will be more.

Rest assured, if we end up paying off DL, the replacement will be the cheapest possible option, who is used to working with a limited budget.

Mentioning names like Levein and McLeish, as being realistic,potential replacements, is insanity.

I'd say Ian Murray would probably be high on the board's list.

I doubt Paul Hartley would consider it. Unless he had instantaneous success, the usual suspects in our support would slaughter him for his past associations and performances against us.

Also,I've seen DL posing the question, "What would be the board's expectations of his replacement?".

10th place and 10 home wins per season would be a start, given the current position any new manager would be starting from.

I had hoped DL would turn things around, but I just haven't seen anything on the pitch to indicate that there are any significant improvements in that area.

McLeish yes, Levein no. McLeish still has stock in England and Levein doesn't. The only way Levein is going to get back into management is taking a lower SPL job, like ours. He'll know that. Aberdeen, Dundee Utd or Hearts could have had him recently, none chose to. He is in no position to ask for big money and he won't exactly be needing the cash after the Scotland pay off.

He's a more than realistic expectation. Also, with Murray and Hartley and Cameron there will be a compensation payment required, there wouldn't be with Levein, thus offsetting much if not all of his higher wage demands.

McLeish yes, Levein no. McLeish still has stock in England and Levein doesn't. The only way Levein is going to get back into management is taking a lower SPL job, like ours. He'll know that. Aberdeen, Dundee Utd or Hearts could have had him recently, none chose to. He is in no position to ask for big money and he won't exactly be needing the cash after the Scotland pay off.

He's a more than realistic expectation. Also, with Murray and Hartley and Cameron there will be a compensation payment required, there wouldn't be with Levein, thus offsetting much if not all of his higher wage demands.

I Disagree.

Despite his recent (and past) failures he's deluded enough to think he's a fantastic manager. IMO his basic wage requirements would blow anything we could offer him totally out of the water.

I'm not convinced that he could work on a tight budget either.

I Disagree.

Despite his recent (and past) failures he's deluded enough to think he's a fantastic manager. IMO his basic wage requirements would blow anything we could offer him totally out of the water.

I'm not convinced that he could work on a tight budget either.

I'm sure he does think he is. My point is, no one else is going to give him a job. He won't get one in England and the top clubs in Scotland aren't interested, as we've seen. He'll know that if he wants back in he'll need to take a step down to take a step back up, a club like us would be perfect for him. If he gets us in the top 6 or something he will get a new, bigger job no problem.

Look at Craig Brown, similar example. Punted from Scotland, failed in England and couldn't get a job for years. Then takes the Well job, a few years later he gets the Aberdeen gig.

I'm sure he does think he is. My point is, no one else is going to give him a job. He won't get one in England and the top clubs in Scotland aren't interested, as we've seen. He'll know that if he wants back in he'll need to take a step down to take a step back up, a club like us would be perfect for him. If he gets us in the top 6 or something he will get a new, bigger job no problem.

Look at Craig Brown, similar example. Punted from Scotland, failed in England and couldn't get a job for years. Then takes the Well job, a few years later he gets the Aberdeen gig.

Yes, all well and true.

However, IMO money will still be an obstacle, unless the board are willing to take a substantial financial gamble, for club of our means.

I think, that rules him out.

Only time will tell, I suppose.

All managers are a gamble.

I'd give the job to Steven Thompson.

He's articulate, intelligent, will have contacts in the game and he's a big Saints fans. I wouldn't worry about the fact that he's still playing. Craig Brewster had some success in the early part of his managerial career - the bit where he was still playing.

I believe Thompson will be a top manager. I don't want him to head off that down road and for me to see him on MOTD like Steve Clarke and Paul Lambert without him having ever been a Saints manager.

We need to stop thinking of ourselves as a club of such a stature that we shouldn't give the job to an untried manager. St. Johnstone gave the job to guys like Coyle & McInnes in recent years with some success.

We can't possibly get any worse... I therefore see no downside to appointing Thompson.

As long as he ditches the fannying about at the back...

Are the players going to try harder for the new manager? Will they respect him anymore than Danny ? Anyway for the third time it will be John McGlynn

He's just taken the Livingston job.

Maybe one of the geniuses from the radio will come out of retirement, sorry I mean give up their pundit role. That said...who? Robbo, Doddsy, Murdo, naaaah!