How Many Points?

We are due to have Partick and Killie away which is good as we normally take a good crowd to these grounds anyway, hopefully there will be a good atmosphere and get the players right up for it like Falkirk away a few relegation battles ago.

Hibs, Ross County and Hearts at home.

5 winnable games on paper.. but that doesn't mean much bangin.gif .

Anyone know how the order of the post split games is decided? Is it just random? Bet we end up with Partick away as the last game needing a win.

We need 40 points, maybe 39 if goal difference was to keep us out the play off.

We need other teams not only to lose, but lose by 2 or 3 goals.

We need to not get beat by either Ross County or Partick and win one of the games by a couple of goals.

Have to beat Jam Tarts.

A win against Hibs or Kilmarnock would be better than 2 draws.

Looking at the league table and fixtures that each club has left and regarding who each team plays you can roughly envisage that partick and ross will probably win 2, draw 2, and lose 2. Going by that rough guestamation then partick would finish with 38 points. So that has to be roughly the minimum target that we need to achieve. To get to 38 points we would in the 6 remaining games need to win 3, draw 1, and lose 2 at the very worst. If we lose to Murderwell this weekend we are looking at with 5 games to go needing 3 wins 1 draw and only 1 defeat.

Now i dont want to put the dampner on things, but that run of results AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

This saturday really has to go into the bracket of (MUST WIN).

If we lose then it will require from partick and ross a run that would match one of ours like win 1, draw 2 and lose 3 for us to have any chance of avoiding the play-offs. Get ready to strap yourselfs in guys.

Looking at the league table and fixtures that each club has left and regarding who each team plays you can roughly envisage that partick and ross will probably win 2, draw 2, and lose 2. Going by that rough guestamation then partick would finish with 38 points. So that has to be roughly the minimum target that we need to achieve. To get to 38 points we would in the 6 remaining games need to win 3, draw 1, and lose 2 at the very worst. If we lose to Murderwell this weekend we are looking at with 5 games to go needing 3 wins 1 draw and only 1 defeat.

Now i dont want to put the dampner on things, but that run of results AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

This saturday really has to go into the bracket of (MUST WIN).

If we lose then it will require from partick and ross a run that would match one of ours like win 1, draw 2 and lose 3 for us to have any chance of avoiding the play-offs. Get ready to strap yourselfs in guys.

The number of points we need to avoid 2nd bottom is dependant on who we take them from and is very difficult to estimate with any accuracy at this stage because of that.

All I would say at this stage is that unless we win this Saturday then it will be very difficult to finish above 11th place unless we beat both Thistle and County after the split.

Personally I hope County and Thistle have to face Hibs and Killie straight after the split, whilst these teams are still in the mix. It may be easier to play against them in the last couuple of fixtures if they are safe by then.

On the contrary, every one of my posts has been factually accurate. None of this is abuse, just pointing out the blindingly obvious. Lennon has brought my team (he supports someone else of course)to the brink of relegation.

How dare you, also, to describe me as trash and lowlife. Could report you to the SSPCA.

You are getting a bit of a hard time over this and I for one think it unfair, unfair indeed.

Your point about Daniel Lennon's failed signings and his "this is the one ive been waiting for" type comment is are entirely fair point's to make about our currently failing manager.

Mr Dickson actually made a very good post on page 2 of this thread (despite him peppering it with the old "I told to so" observation's) that again I agreed with, well almost all of it anyway.

Daniel Lennon's team selection's and tactical set up are hamstringing what could be a pretty decent team of footballers. The lack of willingness to change from one up front makes it very easy for the opposition to nulify what little threat our team may have, very easy indeed. Daniel Lennon's bizarre insistence on playing players hopelessly out of position is severely handicaping our chances of winning football matches and I continue to grow increasingly worried by our manger's apparent lack of ability to set up his team. For those reasons I disagree with Mr Dickson in that a change of manager would be pointless, it is far from ideal but if we can find someone, anyone who picks his best player's and plays each in the best positions then our beloved team will have every chance.

The number of points we need to avoid 2nd bottom is dependant on who we take them from and is very difficult to estimate with any accuracy at this stage because of that.

All I would say at this stage is that unless we win this Saturday then it will be very difficult to finish above 11th place unless we beat both Thistle and County after the split.

Personally I hope County and Thistle have to face Hibs and Killie straight after the split, whilst these teams are still in the mix. It may be easier to play against them in the last couuple of fixtures if they are safe by then.

Which is exactly what i have said.

Just because we beat both these teams still does not say we will finish above 11. Both those teams could lose to us then both beat hibs and hearts then if results and fixtures permit, they could even play out a draw in the last game if it sends us down.

Yes jpg, the only disagreement I had with your post was the conjecture over how many points Thistle and County may get.

To me that is highly dependant on our results against them. If we do beat them both we may not need 38 points to finish in the top 10 whereas if we don't then we are highly likely to need around 38 points and highly unlikely to get them.

I agree that beating them both doesn't guarantee anything but it does significantly increase our chances of avoiding the play-offs.

Which is exactly what i have said.

Just because we beat both these teams still does not say we will finish above 11. Both those teams could lose to us then both beat hibs and hearts then if results and fixtures permit, they could even play out a draw in the last game if it sends us down.

Not often wrong, but i was right again.

We need to make sure now that we are 2 points clear of 1 of those teams going into the final fixture to make sure they dont play out for a draw, if they here that we are getting beat in the last fixture. Danny boy better get his arse in gear and pick points up pronto. Starting with a winthis saturday.

Thistle fan posted an interesting table on PNB. If the results for all teams go the way they did in the first round of fixtures (We win at Partick and home to Ross Co, lose at Killie, and draw at home to Hibs and Hearts) then the final table will look like this:

Killie 42

Saints 39

Hibs 38

County 37

Thistle 35

Hearts 18

Doesn't look too unrealistic to me, and I'd certainly take that. I think 37 points would do it, and we have 31 just now. Beat Hibs a week Saturday and win at Firhill 6 days later and we're safe.

Thistle fan posted an interesting table on PNB. If the results for all teams go the way they did in the first round of fixtures (We win at Partick and home to Ross Co, lose at Killie, and draw at home to Hibs and Hearts) then the final table will look like this:

Killie 42

Saints 39

Hibs 38

County 37

Thistle 35

Hearts 18

Doesn't look too unrealistic to me, and I'd certainly take that. I think 37 points would do it, and we have 31 just now. Beat Hibs a week Saturday and win at Firhill 6 days later and we're safe.

Quite frankly, Killie away is the only game I have a concern over. The rest? Piece of piss.

Quite frankly, Killie away is the only game I have a concern over. The rest? Piece of piss.

If we get 6 or more points from Hibs (h), Thistle (a) and County (h) then the Killie game will just be a relaxed party... For us anyway :)

our position and fate will be confirmed after the RC home game. we,ll avoid the play-offs and finish seventh or eighth.... Making it feckin frustrating we didn't show this form consistently.

AGAIN!

Frustrating indeed but worthy of a full season of constant abuse?

If we get 6 or more points from Hibs (h), Thistle (a) and County (h) then the Killie game will just be a relaxed party... For us anyway smile.png

Correctamundo. Which I fully believe will happen. wink.png

Reading through some of the utter dross in this thread it would appear that there are some punters who, even a few weeks ago, believed that Hearts would catch Saints and avoid relegation. Either that or they firmly believe that 2nd bottom is also automatic relegation.

Fúck me, surely folk can't have been THAT panic-stricken. blink.png

Reading through some of the utter dross in this thread it would appear that there are some punters who, even a few weeks ago, believed that Hearts would catch Saints and avoid relegation. Either that or they firmly believe that 2nd bottom is also automatic relegation.

Fúck me, surely folk can't have been THAT panic-stricken. blink.png

If we get 6 or more points from Hibs (h), Thistle (a) and County (h) then the Killie game will just be a relaxed party... For us anyway smile.png

Don't bank on winning the Thistle game. It's on live here and in the five years i've been living over here Saints have never won a live tv game. Closest we came was the County game that got abandoned at half time!

Another great post by a separate Thistle poster on PNB today, the luvvies are great for the football geekery if nothing else:

Last night after the Hibs game I ran a simulation of 1000 seasons in Excel based on random results from here on in to see what the likely permutations were in terms of points needed.

In order to use GD to separate the teams I had to generate actual scores rather than just win / draw / loss but limited max goals per team per game to 4 so not to end up with wild results.

Obviously as it's entirely random it doesn't include form or momentum (i.e. Hibs) but they're hard to quantify.

Conclusion 1: I desperately need my hole, but that's a side issue.

Conclusion 2: the likelihood of each team finishing in the playoff position as it stands with random results.

Hibs- 6.1%

Killie- 9.5%

County- 22.8%

St Mirren-24%

Thistle- 37.6%

I'd expect with more seasons then County and St Mirren would be even closer together.

Conclusion 3

The average points for 10th was a bawhair under 37, the average points for 11th midway between 34 and 35.

Conclusion 4

The following points totals were safe the following % of the time

35- safe 47% of the time

36- safe 70% of the time

37- safe 84% of the time

38- safe 97% of the time

39- safe 99.8% of the time (both times Thistle ended up with 39 and St Mirren and Killie on 40, raging)

40- safe 100% of the time

There we have it, 37 probably does it, 38 and 39 almost definitely do it.

Don't bank on winning the Thistle game. It's on live here and in the five years i've been living over here Saints have never won a live tv game. Closest we came was the County game that got abandoned at half time!

Not banking on it as such, i just feel it's a game we should definitely be looking at getting something from. I'm far more confident at getting something there than i would be at any other team in the bottom 6, including Hearts.

Of our first 3 games (Hibs, Thistle and County) i think 6 points is very, very achievable, and if we get that we probably won't need to get anything in Kilmarnock or in the final game at home to Hearts.

I actually think Hearts will hold the key as to where the others in the bottom six finish. They have turned a form side and seem to have worked out how to win being the only bottom six side not to have lost in their last three games. Out of the last six games Saints and Hearts have 7pts, Killie and Ross Co have 6pts, Thistle have 5pts and Hibs have 2pts.

Based on that I think we will finish 7th and Hibs will be fighting to avoid the play off.

I actually think Hearts will hold the key as to where the others in the bottom six finish. They have turned a form side and seem to have worked out how to win being the only bottom six side not to have lost in their last three games. Out of the last six games Saints and Hearts have 7pts, Killie and Ross Co have 6pts, Thistle have 5pts and Hibs have 2pts.

Based on that I think we will finish 7th and Hibs will be fighting to avoid the play off.

I think Hearts will take more points like you say.

9th is where I think we will end up.

It's going to be an interesting finish to the season.

Like your thinking. I'll go along with that.drinks_cheers.gif