40 Years Ago...

pozbaird

May 3rd 1974. I went to my first ever gig - Slade at the Apollo. FFS. 40 years...

Was at King Tuts last night to see a fantastic young band from London called Wolf Alice... Look out for them. Going to be huge.

Long live rock!

Best gigs I've seen...

Crowded House in King Tuts.

Bruce Springsteen at Hampden.

Silversun Pickups in Oran Mor.

U2 at Strathclyde University.

REM at Barrowland.

Elvis Costello at the Armadillo.

Led Zeppelin at Knebworth.

AC/DC (Bon Scott era) at the Apollo.

Worst gigs:

Bad Company at the Apollo.

U2 at Hampden.

My Chemical Romance at the SECC.

Best gigs I've seen...

Silversun Pickups in Oran Mor.

U2 at Strathclyde University.

REM at Barrowland.

Elvis Costello at the Armadillo.

Led Zeppelin at Knebworth.

AC/DC (Bon Scott era) at the Apollo.

Worst gigs:

Bad Company at the Apollo.

U2 at Hampden.

My Chemical Romance at the SECC.

you forgot RUSH

you forgot RUSH

Would probably choose the 1978 Hemispheres tour at the Apollo with support band Max Webster... also could have picked tons of other fantastic gigs...

The Who, 'Face Dances' tour at the Apollo, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Apollo 1979, UFO on the Obsession tour, the Quo Frantic Four reunion...

Too many!

Edited by pozbaird

music snobs will no doubt pounce - I DON'T CARE you like what you likethumbup2.gif except Beiber - that's just wrong!

anyhoo first concert - Deacon Blue - cant mine where or when actually, last concert Deacon Blue Hydro last Dec.

Inbetween - hunners of DB, a few simple minds - one at meadowbank with a support act of texas when starting out, runrig at loch Lomond, oasis at loch Lomond. the silencers twice at the barras, keane, snow patrol, pink at hampden and secc, boyzone lol.gif , take that, Robbie - free ticket, wet wet wet many moons ago - free ticket. Elton john - not my choice but actually enjoyed the night, Sharleen Spiteri and I think that's it...

My first gig was the Manics at the SECC about 1998. Saw them in the Barrowlands about 2 years later which was miles better.

Best gig was the Arcade Fire in the Glasgow Uni Union debating chamber before they released their debut album. They were utterly brilliant and finished the gig a funeral march through the crowd at the end.

Best gigs I've seen...

Was that the gig where there was supposed to be four on stage but only three appeared cos it was decided in the hotal beforehand that Tim Finn would leave the band with immediate effect?

Best gigs I've seen...

Was that last year?

Best gigs I've seen...

REM at Barrowland.

Was that when Michael Stipe walked on stage with the word "DOG" written on his forehead?

First Gig - Rockpile, was on a school trip to London and we were meant to be going to see MacBeth which fell through for some reason so after some begging by our teachers we somehow got tickets for an In Concert show. Dave Edmunds (on rhythm guitar!) Nick Lowe, Billy Bremner & Terry Williams - whattaband!

Best Gig - Bob Marley & The Wailers at the Glasgow Apollo, Bob walked on stage and into the microphone and collapsed giggling for about 30 seconds then suddenly the band kicked into Trenchtown Rock & they were on the button for the rest of a faultless gig.

Loudest Gig - Big Country at the Town & Country Club in Kentish Town. Mid sized venue with a capacity of around 2000 a lot of "big" bands returned to perform gigs for the 10th anniversary of the club and somebody must have mistaken how much output the venue could cope with. My ears were still ringin' the next morning.

Next Gig - The Rutles at the O2 on the 30th May. Come along - all you need is cash!

Was that the gig where there was supposed to be four on stage but only three appeared cos it was decided in the hotal beforehand that Tim Finn would leave the band with immediate effect?

Was that last year?

Was that when Michael Stipe walked on stage with the word "DOG" written on his forehead?

Yes, the Crowded House gig was the one where the Finn brothers parted company in the afternoon and the gig that night was electrifying. Can't remember Stipe having anything on his forehead - it was the 'Green' tour, 1987 was it? The two Springsteen concerts I've seen at Hampden are in my best of lists. Also saw him at Newcastle in 1985, and the Etihad a couple of years ago. Never anything less than brilliant.

Other fantastic gigs I forgot about were REM at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto six or so years ago, and last year we saw the history of the Eagles tour in Madison Square Garden. Can't wait to see them again at the Hydro soon.

1st gig was Lloyd Cole & the commotions at Wembley Arena {1987}

notable gigs in between have been

INXS {Brixton Academy}

Simple Minds {Cardiff International Arena}

The Pogues {Edinburgh Playhouse}

The Pixies {Brixton Academy}

James {Brixton Acadeny} - playing Brixton on 21st November

Carter USM {Brixton} -back at Brixton about November

The Waterboys {London Astoria}

The Manic St Preachers {Kilburn National}

Fairground Attraction {Govan Town Hall} days after they hit No1 & hear Eddi Reader announce she could no longer go down the chippy in her slippers

Goodbye Mr Mackenzie {Marquee} 1st gig I took my now wife to, support band was Clare Grogan' band after Altered Images.

Last gig was Simple Minds at the O2 London.

Edited by Kombi Buddie