John Mcginn Club Statement

Both struggled, from the 20or so minutes that i tuned in for. They seemd to be lacking fitness and strength compared to their opponents who just seemed better athletes who were better prepared. Neither looked very assured when chasing the game

I think their performances put the recent talk of ever-escalating transfer fees in perspective. I would say that both of them need to adopt the elite-level approach to fitness if they are to meet the predictions of many saints fans, it is clear that neither of them have to date. their careers will be definfed by whether they can break out of scottish mentality.

Indeed. I don't think anyone is saying McGinn and McLean will go on to be Champions League level players. Anyone that seen the game last night will now see the difference between them and the real top young players in the continent. That Dutch team was full of players that could and will go on to play at the top table of world football. Not one Scottish player in that u21 team will.

I think both of them could carve out decent careers for themselves at Championship level in England, perhaps for a lower EPL club if they push on. Nothing more though.

TBH Drew, scepticism is your middle name. wink.png

And I wear it as a badge of honour (usually....).

Suffice to say, given the rag in which this latest report is to be found, I am somewhat sceptical as to its veracitywhistling.gif

And I wear it as a badge of honour (usually....).

Suffice to say, given the rag in which this latest report is to be found, I am somewhat sceptical as to its veracity:whistle

Ah...! Got ye...

You think the offer was more like £800k and as always The Currant *** are erring on the side of caution..?

I never ever thought Paul Lambert would go on to win a Champions League winners medal with Dortmund.

I never thought that Stevie Clarke and Peter Weir an would go on to win a European Cup Winners Cup with Chelsea and Aberdeen.

Dougie Bell also played a massive part in Aberdeens route to the final - sadly injury prevented him from playing. Although he and Weir won the Super Cup beating Hamburg over two legs.

Good article on Dougie Bell. http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20120604/the-fps-club-_2212158_2797102

Sadly I never got to see Archie Gemmill play for Saints - but he too played a massive part in the Forest team that won the European Cup with Forest.

But for a wee diddy team from Paisley - there have been a few local lads (yes I know Clarke is from Salcoats, but he is an adopted Buddie) who made it all the way to the top of the game in European competition.

ETA - I never ever thought I'd see Nigel Hasselbaink win the Scottish Cup with St Johnstone.

St Johnstone winning a major honour in anyones lifetime is an amazing feat.

Armageddon my arse Doncaster.

Be careful what you wish for lol.gif

I never ever thought Paul Lambert would go on to win a Champions League winners medal with Dortmund.

I never thought that Stevie Clarke and Peter Weir an would go on to win a European Cup Winners Cup with Chelsea and Aberdeen.

Dougie Bell also played a massive part in Aberdeens route to the final - sadly injury prevented him from playing. Although he and Weir won the Super Cup beating Hamburg over two legs.

Good article on Dougie Bell. http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20120604/the-fps-club-_2212158_2797102

Sadly I never got to see Archie Gemmill play for Saints - but he too played a massive part in the Forest team that won the European Cup with Forest.

But for a wee diddy team from Paisley - there have been a few local lads (yes I know Clarke is from Salcoats, but he is an adopted Buddie) who made it all the way to the top of the game in European competition.

ETA - I never ever thought I'd see Nigel Hasselbaink win the Scottish Cup with St Johnstone.

St Johnstone winning a major honour in anyones lifetime is an amazing feat.

Armageddon my arse Doncaster.

I never seen any of the players you name playing for St Mirren, so I don't know what kind of potential they had, but back then the top teams in England were full of Scots. Look at the Forrest and Liverpool teams that conquered Europe in the 80's, both had large contingents of Scottish players.

Sadly, for whatever reason, those days are now gone. Indeed the last Scot to play in a UCL final was Lambert, 17 years ago! The only top class player to come out of this country in the 21st is Fletcher, and he left Scotland at 14.

This is not a slight on McGinn or McLean, they are without doubt two of the top young Scottish midfielders anywhere. The point is there's a clear difference between a top Scottish player and a top European player.

You think it's realistic that either McGinn or McLean will be running out for a Chelsea or a Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League any time soon? Sorry, I don't. It's pretty probable that Quincy Promes will be though, he's the guy who scored a hat trick the other night.

There's nothing wrong with being a solid Championship level player in England, you can make a lot of money in that league. I think and hope that's where both of them end up, and I think both will go on to represent Scotland at senior level.

Indeed. I don't think anyone is saying McGinn and McLean will go on to be Champions League level players. Anyone that seen the game last night will now see the difference between them and the real top young players in the continent. That Dutch team was full of players that could and will go on to play at the top table of world football. Not one Scottish player in that u21 team will.

I think both of them could carve out decent careers for themselves at Championship level in England, perhaps for a lower EPL club if they push on. Nothing more though.

Aren't half of them already in the Dutch pool for the World Cup.

One of them has a £37 million release clause in his contract. That's the level they're at.

Yeah exactly. These are top players who will play at the very top level. Our guys are a good bit below them, not just McLean and McGinn, but May and the rest of the U21 squad too.

Just shows you the difference between the two countries. I wonder why Scotland can't produce players like Holland can anymore?

Yeah exactly. These are top players who will play at the very top level. Our guys are a good bit below them, not just McLean and McGinn, but May and the rest of the U21 squad too.

Just shows you the difference between the two countries. I wonder why Scotland can't produce players like Holland can anymore?

Did we ever.

Because until recently most of the coaches in Scotland played hoofball (accept that Hibs have still been doing that this season) and very little was taught in the way of technique. McLean and McGinn would both have been exposed to a fair degree of that, granted they were also amongst the first to have technique and ball control being part of the training too. It's the group that is coming through at U17 level and below which will be a fairer comparison.