Saints On Sky News

No I'd rather we kept McGinn and signed a few players since we have a wafer thin squad and have got rid of way more players than we have brought in!

Of the players we have 'got rid of', who would you have had us keep?

Drew. I started this yesterday having been impressed by what the boss had to say. The only player I would have kept would have been Paul McGowan. He was my favourite player and yes things were difficult for him last season. I just feel he was worth another chance.

Gowser is a decent shout, MCS, though with McLean staying, any blow with him leaving has been significantly softened. If anything, I am more concerned about the right side of midfield.

I have no problem with St Mirren letting Gowser go.... If we replace him with a comparable standard of midfielder that is.

McLean and McGinn staying is not any reason for it to be OK letting Gowser go. There seems to be a train of thought that says the club were anticipating McLean and/or McGinn leaving this summer. If that's the case, then Gowser should have been kept for sure. Were the club willing to let McLean and McGinn plus Gowser, Harkins and Newton depart our midfield?

McLean and McGinn still being here means two players from last season's midfield quota have been retained. Great news, but we still need to replace Gowser and it could be argued, Newton. Harkins could be replaced with a chest of drawers from Ikea.

Edited by pozbaird

Gowser is a decent shout, MCS, though with McLean staying, any blow with him leaving has been significantly softened. If anything, I am more concerned about the right side of midfield.

I agree Drew.

It's unusual for a club to have so many reasonable left footed midfieldersyet be bereft of cover for the right.We lost Newton and McGowan who were regulars so at least one of them needs to be replaced.

I fear we can't rely on Teale alone for the entire season given his relative advanced years.

I agree Drew.

It's unusual for a club to have so many reasonable left footed midfieldersyet be bereft of cover for the right.We lost Newton and McGowan who were regulars so at least one of them needs to be replaced.

I fear we can't rely on Teale alone for the entire season given his relative advanced years.

Marwood can play right wing.

The full Gowser story..! Has yet to be made public. Ffs it doesn't take a genius to work it out though!

We went from being the only thing that kept him out of prison to ditching him unceremoniously in the space of a few months....

Now why do you think that was.

I why do you think the only gig he could get was at Dundee who seem hell bent on signing everyone in Scottish football with a shit reputation for attitude, consistency and discipline!

Ffs they've just signed Grant Adams to go along with Harkins, Gowser, Thomson et al......

The full Gowser story..! Has yet to be made public. Ffs it doesn't take a genius to work it out though!

We went from being the only thing that kept him out of prison to ditching him unceremoniously in the space of a few months....

I why do you think the only gig he could get was at Dundee who seem hell bent on signing everyone in Scottish football with a shit reputation for attitude, consistency and discipline!

Ffs they've just signed Grant Adams to go along with Harkins, Gowser, Thomson et al......

Maybe Gowser is trouble. On the training field, in the dressing room, in the away end at a Celtic game, on the streets of Airdrie.

Undoubtably, the lad wasn't a good lad like Tony Fitz'.

I don't think many St Mirren fans think we have let Lionel Messi leave. I think many of us simply think that we have lost a decent midfielder, a body, an option, a first team squad member.... and needs replaced.

Maybe Gowser is trouble. On the training field, in the dressing room, in the away end at a Celtic game, on the streets of Airdrie.

Undoubtably, the lad wasn't a good lad like Tony Fitz'.

I don't think many St Mirren fans think we have let Lionel Messi leave. I think many of us simply think that we have lost a decent midfielder, a body, an option, a first team squad member.... and needs replaced.

Of course he was actually billed as a forward!

I think everyone needs to think why he was subbed so often at the end of last season?

He was crap! And seemed to have taken a leaf out of the Gary Harkins book.... 'How to get by on the bare minimum effort in professional football'

Still we'll be able to watch his career take off at Dundee wit all those other 'keen' work ethic minded pro's....

I why do you think the only gig he could get was

at Dundee who seem hell bent on signing everyone in Scottish football with a shit reputation for attitude, consistency and discipline!

That was my thoughts on the situation when i heard we had let him go its just not come out yet i just dont see any other reason for letting him go im sure we will find out in the fullness of time.

Im glad Mcgowan was not offered a new deal. Yes he had a great first season added something to the squad scored and set up a few goals.

I was glad when we signed him for the next season. He started the season he was poor.

Then he gets himself arrested the club give him there full support through his court case his form doesn't improve and a petulant prema donna attitude kicks in he ends up playing 65/70 mins before getting subed.

His role was attacking midfielder so was effectively a second striker yet Thompson was isolated for large parts of the season!

He was on a really good wage aswell so I think Tommy Craig and the club thought it was to much of a gamble and I agree!

We do however still need to replace him!!!

Edited by leolovesstmfc

Adds up to something I heard earlier; Aston Villa midfielder and Newcastle CB on loan.

Could be rubbish though..

Disappointed its no Beram Kyal, that would have been worth a whole season of ripping the piss out of the silly auld balloon lifted for shouting at him at a football match at new love street.

The TC quote after he got the job was:

"You're looking at somewhere between six and eight players will probably have to come in, but I'll get down to the nitty gritty of that in due course."

Sounding like, ultimately, we'll have five when the season kicks off and that's without McLean going as had been expected.

I'm presuming that TC knew his budget when he made that statement and he's just been unable, thus far, to attract the calibre he's looking for (Stevenson went to Thistle instead, for example). Hopefully that means that there will be money left to strengthen in the January window or even by the end of August should the right player or players become available.

He is obviously being more cautious, he is not going to sign some bahonking african with a double barrel name just to sell flatcaps laugh.png

Edited by murray street

Dibble the saints of Perth have a better squad than us and that is a fact. We finished 8th they finished 6th and won the cup.. We need to add players with proven spl experience. You can't lose ten decent players and their wages and bring in three or four. A shallow squad isn't on and if tommy felt he didn't need players why did he say from the outset he was embarking on a recruitment policy as were v short of players? I suspect more will follow and if they don't I will be asking why not .

Dibble the saints of Perth have a better squad than us and that is a fact. We finished 8th they finished 6th and won the cup.. We need to add players with proven spl experience. You can't lose ten decent players and their wages and bring in three or four. A shallow squad isn't on and if tommy felt he didn't need players why did he say from the outset he was embarking on a recruitment policy as were v short of players? I suspect more will follow and if they don't I will be asking why not .

Best of luck with that one.

Not being facetious but would you like to name the ten decent players. I reckon about half of them had a fair chance to show what they could do and it wasn't good enough. Nobody is arguing that we still look to be a couple short but some of your ten decent guys were there to be used as subs only in an emergency.

Of the players we have 'got rid of', who would you have had us keep?

Based on the pathetic size of squad we have at the moment i'd have kept McGowan, Harkins and possibly van zanten as cover. If we go on to sign 2 or 3 top quality players then fair enough but we won't, it'll be loan signings if anything. We must have enough money for 2 or 3 actual signings, we've got about 5 or 6 decent wages off the bill

Edited by Big Yards

Based on the pathetic size of squad we have at the moment i'd have kept McGowan, Harkins and possibly van zanten as cover. If we go on to sign 2 or 3 top quality players then fair enough but we won't, it'll be loan signings if anything. We must have enough money for 2 or 3 actual signings, we've got about 5 or 6 decent wages off the bill

Just as well you're not in charge.

You'd have kept big earners Van Zanten and Harkins who hardly kicked a ball last season? Sheesh, what folly.

Last season is now history. St Johnstone have lost 7 players over the summer and brought no one in and according to their chairman they have no money to bring in players from outside the club and he wants to see more youth players brought through and the club has invested the small amount of money they made from the cup win (42% of the cup final takings went to the SFA) into new training facilities. If other squads had a comparable strength this season who is to say St Johnstone won't go backward and drop out the top 6? Then again, who is to say St Johnstone don't have some good young players coming through who will contribute as much as Hasselbaink did for a fraction of the cost, or that other clubs aren't downsizing in a similar way to St Johnstone. At this stage of the transfer window all clubs except Hamilton have more players out than in.

PS I am now really worried that Dundee will be better than us with the news that Grant Adam has joined them on a short term deal. Another great Dundee signing we let slip away.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy