Thommo

pod

Good on Thommo for going on the program as he was on a hiding to nothing trying to defend our season and it must be difficult to be with the club and still be positive. He did make a rallying cry to the supporters saying that they do make a huge difference and we are needed over the next 3 games.

I know where you're coming from but a highly experienced manager is required. Something we have not had in living memory! Was Alex Smith the last one? Nearly 30 years ago!!!!

Alex Smith... aye... the man's "experience" pushed me as close as I have ever come to giving up Saints... had he not gone when he did I would be an Arthurlie fan by now!

Just couldn't stomach any more football that made Gus's Saints look like 1970's Brazil!!!!

Experience?

Why the fascination? It guarantees NOTHING.

I would go as far as to say that if an experienced manager is available then he won't get any better... we certainly won't be getting the best available.

Would I have traded the Fergie years for the "safety" of an experienced manager? Rikki McFarlane was inexperienced and did well too.

Fans turned against Miller... one of the most experienced coaches out there.

If we do go down, there won't really be a big clamour from the 2,500 or so who will go every week in the Championship that somehow we should be going straight back up. My gut feeling is that our hard core will realise it's going to be a tough gig with Hibs/Rangers, Queens, Falkirk etc.

Under circumstances such as these, expectation levels will (IMHO) amount to not much more than 'for fcuk sake, don't do a Dunfermline and completely disappear up our own arse'. If Ian Murray is available, and sees a move to St Mirren as a 'step up' of sorts, I'd give him the gig without hesitation. A young manager who knows that division, has done well to keep Dumbarton up, and always speaks well on TV. Importantly - he isn't in any clique of existing players or staff at SMFC. Christ, if ever a club needed to stop the incest from eating itself from within, it's St Mirren.

If we do go down, there won't really be a big clamour from the 2,500 or so who will go every week in the Championship that somehow we should be going straight back up. My gut feeling is that our hard core will realise it's going to be a tough gig with Hibs/Rangers, Queens, Falkirk etc.

Under circumstances such as these, expectation levels will (IMHO) amount to not much more than 'for fcuk sake, don't do a Dunfermline and completely disappear up our own arse'. If Ian Murray is available, and sees a move to St Mirren as a 'step up' of sorts, I'd give him the gig without hesitation. A young manager who knows that division, has done well to keep Dumbarton up, and always speaks well on TV. Importantly - he isn't in any clique of existing players or staff at SMFC. Christ, if ever a club needed to stop the incest from eating itself from within, it's St Mirren.

Well said...

my son...

I wanted Murray when Lennon left but we obviously didn't have the money or ambition then and won't now.

I think he signed a new deal on the same day Lennon left iirc , was pretty close.

A season is a long time, I reckon he has done as much as he can at Dumbarton and we would be a step up ( just about ). As you say though, the problem could be our ambition.

I think GT will keep the job, especially if we go down. If we bring in a new manager , thats another wage for us to pay.

I think Murray signed a two year contract last summer so unless there is some clause or gentleman's agreement (what sort of club would be so stupid to have one of them with their prize asset?) then we won't go for him.

We'll stick with Teale as he has a contract for another year. If it's not him Longwell will get it or maybe Thompson. Nothing the board has done in the last 12 months makes me think they'll look outwith the club.

Alex Smith... aye... the man's "experience" pushed me as close as I have ever come to giving up Saints... had he not gone when he did I would be an Arthurlie fan by now!

Just couldn't stomach any more football that made Gus's Saints look like 1970's Brazil!!!!

Experience?

Why the fascination? It guarantees NOTHING.

I would go as far as to say that if an experienced manager is available then he won't get any better... we certainly won't be getting the best available.

Would I have traded the Fergie years for the "safety" of an experienced manager? Rikki McFarlane was inexperienced and did well too.

Fans turned against Miller... one of the most experienced coaches out there.

> Experience? Why the fascination?

> I would go as far as to say that if an experienced manager is available then he won't get any better

Minor point BinEK, and I'll hold my hand up if I have misinterpreted you, however I think worth noting. When many on here, myself included, reference 'experience', it does not necessarily equate to age. It is simply a nod to a candidate who can actually claim to have managed a football team in the past, and have at least a decent record to point to as proof.

I'm not advocating Ian Murray myself, however I see where fellow fans are coming from. He's got a bit of mileage under his belt now and could well be classed as a relatively experienced football manager, particularly if you put him head to head with the likes of Criag or Teale (or Thompson). Given the right opportunity I could easily see him getting a lot better.

> Experience? Why the fascination?

> I would go as far as to say that if an experienced manager is available then he won't get any better

Minor point BinEK, and I'll hold my hand up if I have misinterpreted you, however I think worth noting. When many on here, myself included, reference 'experience', it does not necessarily equate to age. It is simply a nod to a candidate who can actually claim to have managed a football team in the past, and have at least a decent record to point to as proof.

I'm not advocating Ian Murray myself, however I see where fellow fans are coming from. He's got a bit of mileage under his belt now and could well be classed as a relatively experienced football manager, particularly if you put him head to head with the likes of Criag or Teale (or Thompson). Given the right opportunity I could easily see him getting a lot better.

Fair do's... I have misinterpreted your definition of experienced.

I myself touted Murray in the past... but most felt he wasn't experienced enough!

I can see a lot of potential there.

Even now, if we appointed him, the majority would complain that he has no experience at this level... or if we are at that level by then, that he has never managed at a higher lever.

Most folks on here talking about experienced managers are generally referring to Butcher, Calderwood or someone of that decreptitude!

However... I like your thinking and apologies for taking you the wrong way.

Fair do's... I have misinterpreted your definition of experienced.

I myself touted Murray in the past... but most felt he wasn't experienced enough!

I can see a lot of potential there.

Even now, if we appointed him, the majority would complain that he has no experience at this level... or if we are at that level by then, that he has never managed at a higher lever.

Most folks on here talking about experienced managers are generally referring to Butcher, Calderwood or someone of that decreptitude!

However... I like your thinking and apologies for taking you the wrong way.

Jimi Calderwood - Are You Experienced.

Great album.

For the last three seasons, Dumbarton have been the best of what could uncharitably be seen as the diddy clubs. They have performed to the highest level they could reasonably be expected to, given their financial constraints. There's no way they could be expected to compete for the play off places with the teams in that league this season.

I've no idea if Ian Murray would go a good job elsewhere, but he's done a superb job at Dumbarton throughout his time there.

I'm aware of the constraints financially that Dumbarton operate under compared with the rest of the division... surely the same applies to St Mirren in comparison to most other SPL teams though? Even other provincial clubs like Motherwell, Killie, St Johnstone have bigger budgets than us. When we bagged Danny Lennon / let his contract run out, we were supposed to be aiming for the next level (upwards!) rather than settling for the place above the play off place.

I'm aware of the constraints financially that Dumbarton operate under compared with the rest of the division... surely the same applies to St Mirren in comparison to most other SPL teams though? Even other provincial clubs like Motherwell, Killie, St Johnstone have bigger budgets than us. When we bagged Danny Lennon / let his contract run out, we were supposed to be aiming for the next level (upwards!) rather than settling for the place above the play off place.

I think the issue in the Championship is that there's obviously a massive gap between Dumbarton and Sevco/Hearts/Hibs, a big gap to Falkirk, QoS and probably Raith.

In the Premiership, there's a massive gap between everyone & Sellic, and a big gap to the likes of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd.

There are a number of factors involved, but if a club like St Mirren had a good structure (youth development, scouting system etc), a good management team in place, effective recuitment policy (i.e. not having to pay players to leave every January) and an appropriate level of ambition, the financial gap amongst the other teams isn't that great, and there's no reason why we shouldn't be where Inverness are i.e. top of the best of the rest. As it is, I think we're struggling to meet any of those criteria.

Thommo on the radio last night, available on the radio scotland podcast, not listened to it yet

Interesting to hear him say that the "relegation clause" for contracted players sees their pay drop by approx 50%. Those out of contract may be the lucky ones but if that isn't incentive enough to battle for their lives I don't know what is.

Interesting to hear him say that the "relegation clause" for contracted players sees their pay drop by approx 50%. Those out of contract may be the lucky ones but if that isn't incentive enough to battle for their lives I don't know what is.

I dunno how much of an impact it will have as Goodwin and Teale are the only high earners I can see being under contract. McLear, Mallan, Ridgers, Kelly and Naismith are the rest and I'd heard they weren't on a great deal at the moment anyway.

There were some decent questions but most of them seem to be aimed at Michael Grant rather than him - although it would perhaps have been unfair asking him his thoughts on the board and the like!

Was half tempted to message in to see if he any advice for playing guitar...