Thommo

pod

If we go down and Thomo is fit I'm sure Thistle would be interested in him as he wants to finish his career in the top league

What a truly depressing thought that is.

Just serves to confirm how utterly horrible this season is and the consequences are truly dismal.

Actually reading the article I couldn't help thinking that Thommo was laying down his exit strategy, it read as a truly horrible surrender white flag waving piece of writing.

Thommo is all there and a bit more.

He being manager would excite me if went down. Its a tough call for anyone in the championship so why not Thommo. Very intelligent on the game and off it.

Why not Thommo? well he was 4th or 5th choice at best this season and its time for a clean sweep.. out with the old in with the new!!! Experience is what is needed with a clean slate!

Why not Thommo? well he was 4th or 5th choice at best this season and its time for a clean sweep.. out with the old in with the new!!! Experience is what is needed with a clean slate!

When the managers job came up Thommo made a statement - I'm not hanging up my boots yet , want to concentrate on playing.

So where are you getting 4th or 5th from fresh air.

Experience counts for hee haw when you have a talent such as Thommo on your books with his experience within the game.

He talks very well meaning very good communication skills. Would also say has natural man management skills. So he is a natural leader. He is also well respected which counts for a lot. All in all he has a lot going for him not forgetting what the club means to him.

My own personal view is the club would be nuts to over look him.

When the managers job came up Thommo made a statement - I'm not hanging up my boots yet , want to concentrate on playing.

So where are you getting 4th or 5th from fresh air.

Experience counts for hee haw when you have a talent such as Thommo on your books with his experience within the game.

He talks very well meaning very good communication skills. Would also say has natural man management skills. So he is a natural leader. He is also well respected which counts for a lot. All in all he has a lot going for him not forgetting what the club means to him.

My own personal view is the club would be nuts to over look him.

Natural man management skills? What do you base that on?.. gary teale has at least the same amount of experience as Thommo and Tommy Craig much more.... didn't make them the right men for the job...time to clear the decks and get someone in with no ties to the current disaster.. Thommo? maybe one day in the future... not just now for me.

Natural man management skills? What do you base that on?.. gary teale has at least the same amount of experience as Thommo and Tommy Craig much more.... didn't make them the right men for the job...time to clear the decks and get someone in with no ties to the current disaster.. Thommo? maybe one day in the future... not just now for me.

Throw some names in you admire. Not to counter or slag just wondering who you see could do a job.

Gus was a new manager who did well.

Danny Lennon was only a couple of yeas in lower league management. Same goes Tom Hendry.

Throw some names in you admire. Not to counter or slag just wondering who you see could do a job.

Gus was a new manager who did well.

Danny Lennon was only a couple of yeas in lower league management. Same goes Tom Hendry.

I wish I had the answer!! I'm just of the opinion that a complete clear out is required and to promote for within (again!!!!) would be a mistake. Gary Locke is someone who was available when we made the disastrous Tommy Craig appointment. Whether he would have come is open to debate, but his record with a piss poor Kilmarnock team isn't too bad since he's been in charge.

If we go down and Thomo is fit I'm sure Thistle would be interested in him as he wants to finish his career in the top league

I'll throw this in simply for something to consider IoBS. Thommo's strike rate in the league since 1st January 2014 is approximately 1 goal every 5 games (29 appearances, 6 goals). So, based on a 38 game league season that would return approximately 7.6 goals. When the new season kicks off again in August Thommo will be 2 months away from turning 37 - you would have to wonder how many of the 38 games he would play in.

If we go down, the typical route for a struggling and ageing St Mirren striker who wished to remain in the top tier would be to look at the two teams who had been newly promoted. I'd suggest there is no chance Hearts would sign him, and I'd say the same applies to Hibs or newGers. All about opinions, however I would also be astonished if any of the established Prem sides recruited him. You say 'I'm sure Thistle would be interested in him' which really does surprise me given the above stats, and if I were a Thistle fan I would not be happy with such an appointment. Two or three years ago yes, but not now.

With regard to the managers position, I would love to see Thommo in charge at some point in the future. Bottom line, as things stand he doesn't even have coaching experience never mind management. At the risk of offending all the Thommo fan boys, what ever happened to starting out as a coach, then learning your trade in the lower divisions as a manager, then getting a step up based on some hard evidence that you can actually cut it?

As a club we are on a downward spiral where, over the last year, one bad decision follows another. We had the disaster appointment of Craig and pretty much all of his signings, and we had the questionable appointment of two players as coaches in Goodwin and Teale. We watched on as Goodwin got sacked from his coaching role, and Craig got sacked from his management role. With relegation looming the BoD then conspired to appoint Teale as manager, still a registered player, and a candidate with around 8 months coaching experience and zero managerial experience. They chose to support him with Longwell who had been managing the U20's.

Would it really be so unreasonable to stop, take a breath, survey the whole sorry scene, and actually appoint a manager with experience and a proven track record rather than take yet another leap of blind faith?

That all depends on what you mean by great. You can be successful (relative to your budget) without doing a "great job", in my opinion. When your customers are getting fed up with the entertainment offered then you are not doing a "great job". If you like to sit watching 90 minutes of defensive football every week (with the odd exception - Fir Park, Falkirk) to get a draw or a narrow defeat (or the occasional narrow win) then that's up to you. Again, just my opinion.

So you'd rather be relegated?

Gus's football was boring in the extreme. To be honest most of the football over the last 10 years has been pretty boring with the exception being a while under Danny when we were playing fast attacking football culminating in the LC win then we resorted to form again.

I do not want to see us relegated but I am also hating what I have been watching this season and do not fancy another Groundhog season next season. With the current BoD however I think wherever we end up will struggle as all vigour and enthusiasm surrounding the club has vanished. We need a clearout of BoD before we need a clearout of manager IMHO as it will not matter who comes in if the Club continues as it has done.

And I am not being disrespectful to the BoD. I know what it is like to want out of something but you cannot find an easy way out and it becomes a millstone round your neck. The current BoD saved us and deserve credit but they just want out now. And until that happens no progress will be made on the pitch.

I never had any problem with GM's record or the style of football we played during his tenure, however there was clearly a problem with him & Longwell which spilled over into other relationships and lead to the inevitable.............

After recovering from the Summer of ' Beath we started DL's second season in charge playing some good football culminating in Thommo'scloud9.gif last minute equalizer at Ibrox!holiday.gif For me this seemed to turn DL's head and it was all to often a case of substance over style as our League results worsened and the style vanished. PS - we finished that "quarter" in 6th place!ohmy.png

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premier-league/2011-2012/table/2011-10-15

I called for DL to be replaced after our home defeat to the Fakes last March (with the stylish football of Autumn 2011 long gone) but after the remarkable turnaround I would have been happy to see him get a new contract - good luck to him in his current position.

For me DL's biggest strength was knowing when it wasn't working and changing things just in time - unfortunately for him the BoD reckoned he'd gone close to the edge whistling.gif once to often.............

TC's appointment (with GT/JG as player coaches) was not the inevitable failure it became and it was certainly not the cheap option, the BoD have given every available penny to whatever manager has been in charge during their tenure, but it was a bad decision worsened by the delay in confirming GT as manager & McLean's last minute depature hampering anything GT could've done to halt the decline - it's been a season of aimless football while opposition teams wait for our customary defensive lapses.

Anyway I seem to have moved off the main topic - Thommocloud9.gif. Much as I love the guy (and I don't blame him for what has happened this season) I don't think we can afford to be sentimental in offering him a contract for next season. I fear we will be left with GT, still learning his trade as manager next season which may make for a bumpy ride. Oh well whistling.gif , que sera sera whistling.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

I never had any problem with GM's record or the style of football we played during his tenure, however there was clearly a problem with him & Longwell which spilled over into other relationships and lead to the inevitable.............

After recovering from the Summer of ' Beath we started DL's second season in charge playing some good football culminating in Thommo'scloud9.gif last minute equalizer at Ibrox!holiday.gif For me this seemed to turn DL's head and it was all to often a case of substance over style as our League results worsened and the style vanished. PS - we finished that "quarter" in 6th place!ohmy.png

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premier-league/2011-2012/table/2011-10-15

I called for DL to be replaced after our home defeat to the Fakes last March (with the stylish football of Autumn 2011 long gone) but after the remarkable turnaround I would have been happy to see him get a new contract - good luck to him in his current position.

For me DL's biggest strength was knowing when it wasn't working and changing things just in time - unfortunately for him the BoD reckoned he'd gone close to the edge whistling.gif once to often.............

TC's appointment (with GT/JG as player coaches) was not the inevitable failure it became and it was certainly not the cheap option, the BoD have given every available penny to whatever manager has been in charge during their tenure, but it was a bad decision worsened by the delay in confirming GT as manager & McLean's last minute depature hampering anything GT could've done to halt the decline - it's been a season of aimless football while opposition teams wait for our customary defensive lapses.

Anyway I seem to have moved off the main topic - Thommocloud9.gif. Much as I love the guy (and I don't blame him for what has happened this season) I don't think we can afford to be sentimental in offering him a contract for next season. I fear we will be left with GT, still learning his trade as manager next season which may make for a bumpy ride. Oh well whistling.gif , que sera sera whistling.gif

Thommo will be successful and go far whatever career move he makes in football. I have shown my hand for the next manager.

If not Thommo I will certainly keep an eye on him as he will go far in the game in management in my opinion.

Dumbarton are 7th and as close to relegation play off places as they are to the promotion play off places!

For the last three seasons, Dumbarton have been the best of what could uncharitably be seen as the diddy clubs. They have performed to the highest level they could reasonably be expected to, given their financial constraints. There's no way they could be expected to compete for the play off places with the teams in that league this season.

I've no idea if Ian Murray would go a good job elsewhere, but he's done a superb job at Dumbarton throughout his time there.

Suppose it depends on the definition or category of diddyness.

Frankly it has to be Inverness by a country mile.

They have had great league consistency despite their public's apathy.

Its a wonder they just go on and on and on, whislt we cannae seemingly muster much of a a semi whistling.gif

Nah, I would say Inverness are much bigger than Dumbarton.

My definition of diddyness would probably be whether a club have been in the top league during the last 25-30 years. ICT & Ross Co are pretty well established, Hamilton, Raith & Falkirk have had their moments.

QoS probably have a good shout under those criteria as well.