David Longwell

We'd be as well appointing David as manager. He seems to be the only coach down there who knows what he's doing!

What? A manager qualified in the modern game? Who has a team that seems well drilled with each player knowing their role and communicating with each other? Whose team try to pass the ball forward quickly and create chances? Knows how to develope young players?

Naw - Fantasy football. will never work!

Well done David. As always a credit to the club.

Over a decade in the job and not a single transfer fee

hopefully the first thing any new owners will do - after replacing tommy Craig - is appoint a head of youth development who knows what he is doing

More like get a decent scouting system

Longwell is doing a great job considering he's mostly working with other team's cast offs

Well done David Longwell! A great guy who does a fantastic job for our great club. I have met David several times over the years and always found him to be an approachable and dedicated man to St Mirren FC. He always helped myself and others in SMISA when he was called upon. We are lucky to have David Longwell who is a great ambassador for our club.

Anyone on the forum attending the youth dinner at St Mirren Park next Saturday which a will help David and his other coaches develop the young talent we have? I will be attending and I am looking forward to it as I will be attending St Mirren Park and refreshingly not having to worry about seeing St Mirren get beat.;-)

Well done David Longwell! A great guy who does a fantastic job for our great club. I have met David several times over the years and always found him to be an approachable and dedicated man to St Mirren FC. He always helped myself and others in SMISA when he was called upon. We are lucky to have David Longwell who is a great ambassador for our club.

Anyone on the forum attending the youth dinner at St Mirren Park next Saturday which a will help David and his other coaches develop the young talent we have? I will be attending and I am looking forward to it as I will be attending St Mirren Park and refreshingly not having to worry about seeing St Mirren get beat.;-)

Great post David, Longwell has done a amazing job, 6 players in the team all former academy players,

Gary. Agree with you. However are we scouting the whole central belt. I live in West Lothian. Can't think of any youngsters from my area we take on I know for a fact both Hearts and Hibs continually take on lads from the west. Something we should look at.

Would imagine that travel time and costs are prohibitive for young players to come through 3-4 times a week.

As said before is the only fee we gave received for Steven Mcginn?

It's been well documented on here before that he has his favourites and dispenses with decent players who he doesn't get on with , like young Slater at Kilmarnock. I hope he doesn't get near to the managers job !

You could probably make the accusation of favouritism against any coach/manager and how many young players have left the club amidst gnashing of teeth and wailing that "he'll come back to haunt us" yet Slater seems to me to be the first who might just do so. To counter this he is six months older than John McGinn and was no doubt behind him in the pecking order - I'd reckon this must be a fairly common occurrence and it raises the question of whether we could have introduced both into our midfield at the same time. Kudos for the guy for having the balls & the talent to make it at Killie but I just find it hard to see it being a personal issue against the player.

hopefully the first thing any new owners will do - after replacing tommy Craig - is appoint a head of youth development who knows what he is doing

Overall I'm also a bit disappointed we've been unable to make a significant transfer from the young players who have broken into our first team but I don't see how you can blame Longwell for this, obviously if we are going to do so it is important for us to remain in the top division although Falkirk seem to be an exception to this.

Undoubtedly there'll be room for improvement but overall I think we, and in particular Longwell, are doing reasonably well.

Edited by Bud the Baker

When we get a boy into the 1st team do we not just give him a 1 year contract or 1 with an option for 1?

Then when he comes good, he is out of contract? S McGinn, Lapin, McLean (nearly), J McGinn come to mind. (Everyone under Gus!!)

Hardly Longwell's fault.

Who'll be first to come on and belittle this fine achievement?

vvvvvvvvvvv

The Prizewinner!

Didn't take long for the disgruntled parents, struggling to cope with the fact their shining glory will never be the star player they've deluded themselves into believing they are, to start bleating.

I must have missed all those that Longwell consigned to the scrapheap only to resurface as £5 million mini Pele's.

What will it take for these utterly delusional parents to realise their kid simply lacks the talent and/or mentality to succeed?