New York City Next Month

melmac

That's poor that not one of them went to clap the fans.

I know. That was really Ruff,.....RUFF for the fans! After they shouted themselves husky? It would have been the dog's b0ll0x if they had done I suupose. There must have been poodles of tears.

On a more serious note. I think this was a wasted opportunity. Teale should have started the game with the new recruits and as near a full SPFL lineup. While I recognise the need to see the youngsters the new signings need to hit the ground running.

Edited by stlucifer

Alright, all. I'm Falastur from over on the NYCFC forum, but I'm one of the token non-Yanks over there so no need to follow up on the "scrimmage" stuff and the American handegg terminology you were throwing earlier - that stuff makes no sense to me, either.

I was at the game yesterday, thought it was a good game and definitely one for the scrapbook, being the club's first ever game. Obviously not a great result from your perspective but I thought your first half team did a good job of keeping Villa quiet when he tried to go through the middle, and even if the possession wasn't there your players kept the pressure on in midfield for most of the game - there was a point when I thought you might be too well-organised to concede the way you did. Certainly there were fewer clear-cut chances than I was expecting from a friendly, for both teams.

I also wanted to say that I thought your travelling contingent were a credit to your club. Very loud for all of the first half, and I think it's understandable that the atmosphere dropped off in the second half, considering that all of NYCFC's proper fanbase were 3,000 miles away and haven't even had a chance to establish their song repertoire yet anyway - of course, that apparently wasn't a good enough reason for the New York Times, who slated the fans for not crossing the Atlantic in droves to attend, so I guess your mileage may vary. It was good to see some of you on our forum, too. Always good to get a bit of cross-club interaction going on.

Anyway, good to see you all and good luck in the league. I'll be keeping an eye out to see how you're getting on.

Edited by Falastur

Alright, all. I'm Falastur from over on the NYCFC forum, but I'm one of the token non-Yanks over there so no need to follow up on the "scrimmage" stuff and the American handegg terminology you were throwing earlier - that stuff makes no sense to me, either.

I was at the game yesterday, thought it was a good game and definitely one for the scrapbook, being the club's first ever game. Obviously not a great result from your perspective but I thought your first half team did a good job of keeping Villa quiet when he tried to go through the middle, and even if the possession wasn't there your players kept the pressure on in midfield for most of the game - there was a point when I thought you might be too well-organised to concede the way you did. Certainly there were fewer clear-cut chances than I was expecting from a friendly, for both teams.

I also wanted to say that I thought your travelling contingent were a credit to your club. Very loud for all of the first half, and I think it's understandable that the atmosphere dropped off in the second half, considering that all of NYCFC's proper fanbase were 3,000 miles away and haven't even had a chance to establish their song repertoire yet anyway - of course, that apparently wasn't a good enough reason for the New York Times, who slated the fans for not crossing the Atlantic in droves to attend, so I guess your mileage may vary.

Anyway, good to see you all and good luck in the league. I'll be keeping an eye out to see how you're getting on.

Welcome to the forum... There's no place on here for balanced, reasoned posting like this! So, if you're not an American but are on the NYCFC forum, are you based in the USA or over here? What brought you to support a brand new team? Some folk over here choose to do it too mind you - 'The Rangers' they're called.

Welcome Faluster.

I read that NYC paid 100 million dollars alone to get a franchise to join the MLS (excluding wages and running costs). At the moment you could buy our Club lock, stock and barrel for £2Million and still have a place in the top division! You can afford to have players like Villa and Frank Lampard. Either of them probably earns more than our complete squad put together. NYC can select seasoned pros from all over the world for their team. The majority of our team are developed from our Youth Academy with normally 7 Academy players playing each game. So considering the substantial difference in financial clout, quality and experience I reckon we did ok last night. And that is also considering we were trying out a different formation (4-4-2, normally we play 4-2-3-1) and played some trialists and Academy players who do not normally get a game. For us it was a trial game and for NYC it was a competitive game to establish credibility. I thought NYC looked very well and dominated the match.

The squad you have looked good and should be entertaining to watch. I would like to wish you and your team a successful season and I'll keep a wee eye out for your results. We are only 5 mins from Glasgow International Airport if you fancy paying us a wee visit :)

Welcome to the forum... There's no place on here for balanced, reasoned posting like this! So, if you're not an American but are on the NYCFC forum, are you based in the USA or over here? What brought you to support a brand new team? Some folk over here choose to do it too mind you - 'The Rangers' they're called.

I'm UK-based, a MCFC fan all my life. Never even been to the USA before (not yet, anyway).

When City created NYCFC I was intrigued - I love clubs with history, but there's something fascinating about building a club up from nothing, seeing it have to create its very identity and put together all the infrastructure that we take for granted. When one of their season ticket holders made a forum for the new team I signed up, planning on just sitting back, watching the project build itself and occasionally commenting from the wings. I made a few more comments than I intended, talked more sense than I was expecting, and ended up getting invited to join their admin team. After that I thought I'd better throw myself in with both feet. I'm going to their match against Brondby on Sunday, too (and I was at City v Hull, so that's three 400-mile round trips to Manchester for me in 9 days) and I've got my flights booked to be at their first ever (home) league game. After this, though, I probably won't be able to afford to visit them more than once every 2-3 years, so this is like Christmas for me right now.

As for your brand new team - yeah, I heard about them. I didn't know they were called "Rangers" though - wasn't that the name of a grand old storied club? I thought the new club was called Newco F.C.?

Welcome Faluster.

I read that NYC paid 100 million dollars alone to get a franchise to join the MLS (excluding wages and running costs). At the moment you could buy our Club lock, stock and barrel for £2Million and still have a place in the top division! You can afford to have players like Villa and Frank Lampard. Either of them probably earns more than our complete squad put together. NYC can select seasoned pros from all over the world for their team. The majority of our team are developed from our Youth Academy with normally 7 Academy players playing each game. So considering the substantial difference in financial clout, quality and experience I reckon we did ok last night. And that is also considering we were trying out a different formation (4-4-2, normally we play 4-2-3-1) and played some trialists and Academy players who do not normally get a game. For us it was a trial game and for NYC it was a competitive game to establish credibility. I thought NYC looked very well and dominated the match.

The squad you have looked good and should be entertaining to watch. I would like to wish you and your team a successful season and I'll keep a wee eye out for your results. We are only 5 mins from Glasgow International Airport if you fancy paying us a wee visit smile.png

Yeah, the franchise fee was extortionate, although apparently it's now been topped by the new Los Angeles team, who aren't due to start until 2017 and have Vincent Tan as a co-owner. If that's not something to make people sweat, I don't know what is. I'm aware of St Mirren's budget constraints, though, and the way that much of Scottish football is run on a shoe-string. It's always good to have a team you've brought up from within. I've wanted City to play more of their academy players - we have some real talents who are just asking for some game time, such as Denayer and Guidetti just down the road from you at Celtic, but the management is too scared to play any of them for fear that it'll cost us the match and as a result value league points. Well, maybe we've thrown the title away we'll have more opportunity...but anyway. NYCFC have only a couple of days ago announced that they're creating an entire league as part of their academy system, with under 9s/10s/11s playing in tournaments to basically play their way into the academy proper - apparently no MLS team has ever looked at players below u-12 level before, so for once we're getting some positive press, and the guys on the forum are going nuts about how exciting it would be to watch a team half-filled with native NYers who have spent half their lives in the development system run out for a match. Exciting times ahead. I hope that we can bring through as many as you've managed, although the circumstances are understandably completely different, so we'll have to see.

The NYCFC is looking very interesting - and they poached manager Jason Kreis from Real Salt Lake back at the end of 2013, a man who is regarded as one of the, if not THE, brightest prospects in American football at the moment, so he already comes with a lot of expectation of good things. As for style, CFG (the organisation running City's various teams around the world) has a stated intention of getting all of their teams, from the greatest to the smallest, of playing the same brand of possession-based attacking and fluid football, so win, lose or draw the team should be entertaining to watch. We'll just have to see how much can be achieved in our first season. No-one quite knows how high to aim. Making the play-offs at least (one more element of American sports that I will never quite buy into) is regarded as being a decent target, but it could go either way.

As for coming to visit you - thanks for the offer. I'll have to see. I'm always up for doing something unusual as a one-off just for the experience, but travelling to Paisley wouldn't be the easiest thing I've ever done. That said, of course, if I can travel to Manchester several times in a week then I should be able to pull it off. Maybe if you come south of the border for a friendly or somesuch then I might come along and watch you then. We'll have to see. If I can make it work then I'm up for it, though.

Edited by Falastur

Have to laugh at "Falaster" or "Faulster" which i think may be more appropriate, "built a team up from nothing" £100 million dollar franchise fee plus all the millions spent on players and stadium etc, thats the kind of nothing i'd like to have to start with,

Also he would find it difficult to get to Paisley from somewhere in the UK, but will manage to get to New York lol.gif .

Somebody is yanking your chain lads.

Edited by buddiecat

Have to laugh at "Falaster" or "Faulster" which i think may be more appropriate, "built a team up from nothing" £100 million dollar franchise fee plus all the millions spent on players and stadium etc, thats the kind of nothing i'd like to have to start with,

Also he would find it difficult to get to Paisley from somewhere in the UK, but will manage to get to New York lol.gif .

Fair point. There's a difference, though. For the NYCFC game, it's a chance to go to see a team's first ever game - a team which I am connected with in the ways described above. On top of that, it's going to essentially be my holiday for the year so I'm splashing out in a way I wouldn't have otherwise. It would be good to go up and see St. Mirren, but it's not quite the same thing, I hope you can understand, and it would probably cost me the best part of £200, travel and accommodation inclusive, to get up there. I'm not made of money, and I'm struggling to afford to even travel to Manchester more than a few times a season. Admittedly I could've worded it better originally.

Saints would orgasm at just 1% of that 'nothing'.

I think Faluster's a London lad....

What's your big team then, Faluster ? Your London team? Millwall? tongue.png

I'm in Herts, but I support City as my mum is a Manc who moved down south for work. My dad never really tried to get me to support his team (he had the most casual fancy for Everton) whereas my mum's side of the family constantly sent me kits, magazines, scarves etc when I was a kid, so City stuck. If it helps, the first game I ever saw live was against Stoke City in the third tier back in 1998, when I was 11. I have no love for any of the London sides. I go to see my home town team in the Southern Premier League (7th tier) when I can, though.

Edited by Falastur

I'm in Herts, but I support City as my mum is a Manc who moved down south for work. My dad never really tried to get me to support his team (he had the most casual fancy for Everton) whereas my mum's side of the family constantly sent me kits, magazines, scarves etc when I was a kid, so City stuck. If it helps, the first game I ever saw live was against Stoke City in the third tier back in 1998, when I was 11. I have no love for any of the London sides. I go to see my home town team in the Southern Premier League (7th tier) when I can, though.

Good on you falastur. At least your not one of the sheik yer cash brigade on the glory hunt!

Good on you falastur. At least your not one of the sheik yer cash brigade on the glory hunt!

Yeah - although the Mancunian fans still think that anyone born further than 2 miles from Maine Road is a plastic, so I might as well be. Of course, if you were from down here with me you'd know I couldn't be a gloryhunter - I'm still yet to see another City fan in my home town (aside from the one who coincidentally lives next door, and whom I can attest to the pedigree of pre-takeover). All the gloryhunters in Herts are Chelsea or scum United fans...

Also he would find it difficult to get to Paisley from somewhere in the UK, but will manage to get to New York :lol .

They have started up from nothing though. I took it that he meant no history, no fanbase. Sure, money is seemingly no object, but while clubs like ours have grown organically, everything to do with NYC FC is starting from - nothing.

I don't see a chain yanker here... Ooh err missus titter ye' not...

Guest TPAFKATS

With the global audience that the game attracted watch the yellow top become one of the worlds most sought after fashion accessories.

With the chance to get the club some much needed exposure into new markets, I thought we should've worn our stripes. Even though it would've meant splashing out on an extra laundry ahead of Saturday's game

With the chance to get the club some much needed exposure into new markets, I thought we should've worn our stripes. Even though it would've meant splashing out on an extra laundry ahead of Saturday's game

I'm now at a point where I don't know which is the worst , the yelly or the pinstripes. . I think the yelly strip still edges it right enough. .

Guy on the MLS podcast I listen to claims NYCFC were "spectacular" and "Barcelonaesque" against us. Must be easily pleased.

The Yanks love their hype, and some on here are easily drawn in by it. The NYCFC manager stated that he had to sub all 11 players because they are building up their fitness, we also used the game to give a load of players game time, In a normal game with 3 subs max, it might have been different, it was a training game and counts for nothing - which is the word used to describe a $100 million dollar cash input plus goodness knows how much in buildings, players, coaches and background staff. "Built up from nothing" my arse.

The Yanks love their hype, and some on here are easily drawn in by it. The NYCFC manager stated that he had to sub all 11 players because they are building up their fitness, we also used the game to give a load of players game time, In a normal game with 3 subs max, it might have been different, it was a training game and counts for nothing - which is the word used to describe a $100 million dollar cash input plus goodness knows how much in buildings, players, coaches and background staff. "Built up from nothing" my arse.

They have been built up from nothing. Everyone from the kit man through to David Villa has been put together from scratch. Naturally, they haven't been put together on the cheap. If the NFL set up a London franchise, they'll throw money at it too - but there currently is, like NYCFC, nothing.